Author Topic: Proposed EMP Changes for 2012  (Read 12278 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Proposed EMP Changes for 2012
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »
Nathan --

You gotta realize that there are a few "real" sidecars running -- they're not all just wheel on a sticks.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »
All the more reason to quit adding classes too...... Shoot, thats the other thread   :evil:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:39:20 PM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 02:45:54 AM »
Had our annual Milers meeting today.  Our club voted as follows:

1. Yes
2. Option 2 (same body class, same engine class, same fuel class, same induction class all season for points champ)
3. No
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 06:18:51 AM »
I am a fan of El M---but most of your higher hp cars, most years, will not be able to race for  points champ, with the same combo,  due to the ever changing racing surface.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »
Side thought - would anyone actually really want to run a motorcycle sidecar if it wasn't for the chance at being points champ?

Geez Nathan,  that's cutting right to the bone.  But the answer from me is no I didn't build my sidecar with the points championship being the only reason for building it.  I had an idea and wanted to see how fast I could get it to run.

But I think your question should be why would anyone want to run a GPS if it wasn't for the chance at being points champ?  Why do you need a GPS if for no other reason than to sandbag?  Why do you hear a driver being told to run no more than X rpm if not to sandbag?  After one record I ran a fellow club member asked me if I "left anything"?  I replied I hope not.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:34:29 PM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 07:44:58 PM »
I know it's only Time Trials, but you sound like a racer.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 11:12:15 PM »
Racer?  Like that's gonna happen.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 03:22:09 PM »
Side thought - would anyone actually really want to run a motorcycle sidecar if it wasn't for the chance at being points champ?

Geez Nathan,  that's cutting right to the bone.  But the answer from me is no I didn't build my sidecar with the points championship being the only reason for building it.  I had an idea and wanted to see how fast I could get it to run.

But I think your question should be why would anyone want to run a GPS if it wasn't for the chance at being points champ?  Why do you need a GPS if for no other reason than to sandbag?  Why do you hear a driver being told to run no more than X rpm if not to sandbag?  After one record I ran a fellow club member asked me if I "left anything"?  I replied I hope not.

Ha, yeah that was just a poke for all the bikes with wheel-on-a-stick-sidecars.  No harm meant.  Just being facetious. 

GPS can actually be a very useful tuning tool.  Combined with a data logger you have the ability to go back through your run and see the details of how it progressed.  What's your speed at half track?  Are you still accelerating at the lights?  What was your speed when the car finally settled down and went straight?  I think people may try to "drive by GPS" but at El Mirage than can be pretty hard for a number of reasons.

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 05:09:02 PM »

GPS can actually be a very useful tuning tool.  Combined with a data logger you have the ability to go back through your run and see the details of how it progressed.  What's your speed at half track?  Are you still accelerating at the lights?  What was your speed when the car finally settled down and went straight?  I think people may try to "drive by GPS" but at El Mirage than can be pretty hard for a number of reasons.

So does that mean the Points waltz continues?

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 01:38:55 AM »
SCTA board meeting is tomorrow.  Guess we'll see how this turns out then. 

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 10:29:29 AM »
The number of ways that you can determine speed is endless. The dead easy answer is the GPS taped to your forehead. Eliminate that and other methods pop up.

It wouldn't take much to write an app to pull the gps data from a phone and feed it through bluetooth to an ear bud.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline racekid

• 701 C/GMR LeFevers & Jesel
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 02:02:02 PM »
Quote from: SPARKY link=topic=109 :roll: :evil:05.msg183607#msg183607 date=1329650331
I am a fan of El M---but most of your higher hp cars, most years, will not be able to race for  points champ, with the same combo,  due to the ever changing racing surface.
give 50 extra points for any record over 200mph :evil:

Offline vintagehotrod

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »
rule #2 has been a long time coming, I hope it passes.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 05:43:27 PM »
I had the chance to talk to some other SCTA members that aren't in my club and they said that they voted no on option 2.  I asked why and they said because it was too confusing so they decided to leave things as they are.  I thought this was kind of a strange comment considering that option 2 is pretty straight forward IMHO.  So I gave them my run down of what option 2 entails and they said "wow, that makes sense... we would have voted yes if we knew it was that simple".  In fact they were very in favor of option 2 once they understood it because they run a car that can really only compete in one class. 

They said the way option 2 was explained to them during their club meeting wasn't very clear so they voted against it.  Bummer.  :|

Offline dw230

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »
Sounds like a rep problem. Not listening or don't care.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth