Author Topic: Proposed EMP Changes for 2012  (Read 12277 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Proposed EMP Changes for 2012
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:52:11 PM »
Thought I'd start a discussion regarding the proposed El Mirage Procedures changes that were metioned at the last board meeting.  Those proposed changes were:

1. Require that entrant goes straight to impound after qualifying for a record - current procedure says you have 30 minutes to get there, not that you must go straight there. 

2. Change the qualifications for season's point champ to one of three options:
  • 1. no change - same body but any fuel or motor or induction
  • 2. same car, same body, same engine, same fuel, same induction for the entire season
  • 3. same car, same entrant, same log book, any body, any engine, any fuel, any induction- basically anything goes so long as it's the same physical car/bike

3. No GPS allowed in view of driver/rider for vehicles going for points champ
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline NathanStewart

Re: Proposed EMP Changes for 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »
Number 1 is easy and should be done.  I understand the idea behind number 3 (reduce sandbagging) but I'm not sure it's as easy to enforce as one might think.  Just because you don't have a Tom-Tom or a Garmin glued to your windshield doesn't mean you still don't have GPS in view.  Some data loggers have a GPS input and that data can be displayed on a dash like a RacePak or AIM or even through a gauge.  And besides, people have been succesfully sand bagging using just a tach (or even a speedometer) long before GPS was ever available to the mass populace.  I'd personally say no to number 3 only because it isn't effectively going to do what it's supposed to.

The one that I think will be most hottly contested is number 2.  I for one am starting to like option 2 more and more.  Same vehicle, same class, same motor, same fuel, same induction.  No class jumping if you want to win points champ.  I like it because it's different and it might open things up to those that can't run a different body class, motor, fuel, or induction type for whatever reason. 

One thing to keep in mind is that nothing is permanent with the EMP.  If we did option 2 for a year or two we could always change it back and make it a free for all, class jumpers heaven (option 3) in the future.

Thoughts?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:06:01 PM »
I like number 2.  :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 01:04:11 AM »
Hmm... thought there'd be more discussion on this.

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 03:23:24 AM »
Who really needs/wants any of those proposed changes?

Willi
Who Has More Fun?

McRat

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »
#2 gives those without deep pockets, or those racing in classes that don't have large numbers of options, a fair shot at the championship or more importantly, a low run #.

Nor does it penalize those who ARE in classes that have dozens of options.  They can choose to go for points, or go for records.

People complain that there too many classes.  I think the problem is there are too many classes that you can enter the same car/bike in.  Gas/fuel/super/AA-J/street/mod/etc/etc/etc.

Today, the way the points are calculated, you don't win by running your car and just tweaking it to go faster, and faster, and faster each event.  That's what racing is all about.  Optimizing your setup.

Points are won by changing classes, sandbagging, then changing classes again.  That lawyering, not racing.  Finding loopholes instead of doing your best to improve what you got.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 12:56:02 PM »
No.1 is almost impossible to regulate unless the racer is accompanied.  But I think those fortunate enough to set a record head straight for impound anyway.

No.2 two I definitely favor.  The way things are now   More bucks = more engines etc for class changes = more points.  No. 2 brings it back to what the SCTA is about.  Grassroots racing.

No.3 is the way it is right now isn't it?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

McRat

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 01:06:23 PM »
GPS:

GPS is handy for licensing and other issues for some entries.  At Bonneville 2008, I was told I would be sent home with no record if I broke 175.000 mph.  Knowing that I was actually going 181mph saved the day for a very expensive trip with a $150 gadget.  I lifted too much, but that was better than throwing everything away by not knowing my speed.  At 3000 rpm (assuming your tires don't grow, there is no slip on treaded tires, and you've calculated all ratios to x.xxx), six MPH is 100 rpm.

Sandbagging for points is akin to bracket racing or Enduro competition.  Not my cup of tea.  But when rules require me to sandbag, I will use whatever device is legal to do it.  Remove GPS, and I will track front wheel RPM via the anti-lock data.  But that's just more wiring and one more thing to go wrong.

And since nearly all cellphones can do GPS today, the only way to catch a GPSr, would be when somebody drops their cellphone while racing.  How likely is THAT???   :evil:

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »
No.1 is almost impossible to regulate unless the racer is accompanied.  But I think those fortunate enough to set a record head straight for impound anyway.

May not be easy to regulate actively but it effectively closes the gap.  This way they MUST go straight to impound and there is no longer the defensive of "Well the EMP says I have 30 minutes to get there, not that I must go straight there".  I think the idea is to fix the possible problem before it becomes one.

There is currently no restriction on GPS usage.

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 02:24:39 PM »

May not be easy to regulate actively but it effectively closes the gap.  This way they MUST go straight to impound and there is no longer the defensive of "Well the EMP says I have 30 minutes to get there, not that I must go straight there".  I think the idea is to fix the possible problem before it becomes one.

I've had the gods smile on me a couple of times at El Mirage and when I heard I broken a record my first thought was to get to impound before the gods change their mind.  But maybe I'm a bit naive.  Maybe it is one of those things that should be fixed before it breaks.

I'm not under any illusion that my sidecar could win no.1 in the bikes.  I just enjoy seeing if I can get it to go fast.  As the rules stand with the junk I have in the garage I have eight sidecar class possibilities (500, gas, fuel, blown and unblown 650, gas, fuel, blown and unblown).   But I still think one class, one fuel is the way to go for the championship.

Offline Mac

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 10:46:38 PM »
Just to play devils advocate here... :evil:

1. Entrant to go straight to impound - no brainer. Just requires policing or the old honesty system

2. So... are you requiring the exactly same engine all season? Cause if your beef is $$, someone could spend lots of $$ to repair engines in a tight timeframe - if they were really serious. Restricting the engine classes just promotes sandbagging - which was the point of No. 3!?

To be in the running you need:
1. A competitive vehicle in whatever class.
2. The ability to break a record every meet - it might be just by a little, can be on same record
3. Consistently reliable vehicle
4. Ability to do a clean run, first pass, every meet. (seldom get a 2nd crack at it)
5. Really good luck.
6. Really bad luck for your opposition - What it seems to come down to is who makes the first mistake.

3. No GPS allowed in view of driver/rider for vehicles going for points champ -
Personally speaking here - El Mirage is so short, that I don't have the time to look at and read (yes they are different), a GPS. Too much going on. I get told if I'm at 9600 and in 6th gear by the time I go through the lights, I should be ok. Depending on what drama is happening that day (fire / spin / dust / messing up gear shift etc), I don't always know what the tach is either. Everyone is different. I don't have a dog in this fight.

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 11:12:58 PM »
I think the proposal means the same class engine.  Not the SAME engine.  1-6 applies right now.  Nothing new in those.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 12:42:16 AM »
Sandbagging - Yeah, I hate it, too, but it's akin to a sac fly or a bunt.

It's good management.

Not much fun to watch . . .

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 08:27:15 AM »
I like number 2- same car, same body, same engine, same fuel, same induction for the entire season
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 04:04:35 PM »
I can't take credit for realizing this on my own but it was pointed out to me that the one good thing about class jumping (especially on classes with soft or no records) is that the record list actually gets filled up with real records.  There are a lot of classes with little or no participation and savvy (or possibly cunning) racers might realize this and exploit these opportunities to put their race vehicle on the front cover of the rule book.  Side thought - would anyone actually really want to run a motorcycle sidecar if it wasn't for the chance at being points champ?  Okay, anyways, the more the record list gets filled up with real records the more "real" racing can go on and not "lawyering" like was mentioned before.  It'll only be a matter of time before these "opportunities" turn into real records that might actually stand for a period of time.  Even the fastest guy reaches his limit at some point and it won't be until a new fastest guy (or gal) comes along and betters the last fastest.... er, person.