Author Topic: Anyone ever build a pipe bomb... I mean compressed air tank?  (Read 14603 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Anyone ever build a pipe bomb... I mean compressed air tank?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 03:43:17 PM »
He has a space issue and thats part of the problem finding a air tank from a truck dealer. Worked in that business and most are 8" or more in Dia. Check with a welding supply company they have all sizes.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 04:35:55 PM »
Nate, In my industry, welds are routinely certified for 5000 PSI working pressure.

I don't see an issue with what you want to do- I might get them certified, but that's up to you.

That's low enough pressure, I think I'd just weld them up and go!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:44:54 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline jdincau

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 05:47:41 PM »
How about the tank from one of those pancake air compressors they use in the construction trades?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Tman

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 07:17:44 PM »
Nate is building a Model A sedan like I am building, space is a premium. I can see why he is looking at small tanks. Heck, my lakester has more room to fit parts than my Tudor!

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 07:49:21 PM »
Hows about seeing if you scrap up one of those medical O2 tanks. They are only about 3-4" in dia. and goo to about 500lbs. Just throw'n bones out there.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »
Hows about seeing if you scrap up one of those medical O2 tanks. They are only about 3-4" in dia. and goo to about 500lbs. Just throw'n bones out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Medical-Oxygen-E-Cylinder-Tank-Steel-USED-/140690452299?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c1cdef4b

Buy it now: $9.95 + $6.00 shipping

Medical Oxygen "E" Cylinder Tank - Steel - USED
Please note that we have several THOUSAND of these available.

Specifications:
- Pressure rated @- 2015 PSI
- Height- 26 1/8"(top of steel cylinder), 29 1/4" (top of valve)
- diameter- 4"
- weight- 13 lbs
- capacity 25 cuft (oxygen)

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »
Nathan,
   I modify hydraulic cylinders on a regular basis, cut them down & put new ends on them & all on 2500psi & up..
If you check a good hydraulic supply company you can buy tubing & blank ends in any size, just drill & tap them before you weld them in. If you can't find anything, go to baileynet.com, thats my suplier.
  Sid.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 10:19:13 AM »
At 150psig along frame rail or cage/frame menber could do the trick as well. Seen a couple of build on this site that are using that method with success. More bones. :-D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:57:56 AM by Captthundarr »
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 01:27:59 AM »
Hey guys, sorry for the delay.  Made a promise to stay away from cars and computers this weekend.  Celebrated my 9th anniversary with my wife.   :-D

Okay, no particular order...

Stainless, good idea on re-purposing something like a portable air compressor tank.  I actually had already considered this and found a couple of dead compressors on eBay for cheap.  I sent some messages to the sellers with no response back so far.  We'll see how that goes.  Also, got your PM.  Thanks for the offer.  I just might take you up on it.

I could re-purpose an air cylinder (thanks for the link Mike) or scuba tank or even an old fire bottle.  I guess my only concern is the fitting.  I don't know a whole lot about these tanks but I think they all use a specific top fitting or valve that's unique to their particular application.  I'd probably just cut it off and weld something on but I'd hate to compromise the integrity of the tank just to put a threaded NPT bung on the end of it.  Nonetheless, a possibility.

Like Glen mentioned, an air tank from a truck is way too big.  And like T-man said, this is going on my Model A and the spot I have available is very small.

Jim, good thinking on the pancake tank.  This was also suggested to me by someone and I did my best to find a spot on the car where this might work but came up empty handed.  The only spot I really have is be best suited for a long and skinny tank. 

Pete, thanks for the advice on the hydro testing.  Never knew how or why it was done.  Did some research and now I know.  When it comes time to test I'll definitely do this.  Thanks!

Sid, thanks for the supplier connection.  I'll hit them up if I go that route.

Captthund, thought about this as well and my frame rails are boxed but they have holes drilled in them to access the body mount hardware. 

I think the good news here is that no one has really poo-poo'd the idea of making my own which is good.  At least I know (or feel like) this is something I should be able to do fairly safely. 

Looks like I have plenty of options... just need to pick one.  Thanks again everyone.

El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline ATS, Inc

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 09:17:08 PM »
Nathan, Have you looked into any of the tanks made for paintball guns? They are small, light and good for I believe 1500 psi. Also, they are very cheap to buy. I found a 24 oz tank for less than $23.00 on the net. Sterling

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 11:43:20 PM »
Every night I drain the air compressor tank and water blows out with the air.  It collect in the bottom of a tank and it can corrode it.  That is why it can be risky to buy a used air tank.  A fellow does not know if it the water has been drained out of it on a frequent basis.  It is good to have some extra wall thickness on a carbon steel tank.  This allows for some corrosion without weakening the wall beyond acceptable limits.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 11:05:42 AM »
Nathan, here is the old AL firebottle I have...
Is anyone from Nathan's area going to the NW Reunion?  Want to carry a 4x16 back?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jl222

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 02:21:22 PM »
Nathan, here is the old AL firebottle I have...
Is anyone from Nathan's area going to the NW Reunion?  Want to carry a 4x16 back?

Your local beverage supply should have [ or know were to get] CO2 bottles. That's were we got our air bottle to shift trans and they refill.  About the same diameter as fire bottles but shorter for ours, but there are other sizes.

Also went to an air suspension place for quick disconnect fittings for lines.They might have everything you need.

JL222

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:23:51 PM by jl222 »

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 05:06:41 PM »
Lil bit of an update...

Did some research and some looking around and found that my local stainless supplier can get 4" pipe (4.5" od) and pipe caps in sch40 (.237" wall).  Came across Barlow's formula and if my math is right, my compressed air tank shouldn't be a pipe bomb until I reach 3200 psi (shouldn't ever happen with any vehicle-mounted air compressor I've ever seen) and a working pressure of 300 psi... and that's with a safety factory of 10!  The material alone will cost around $120 to make a 1-2 gallon tank and I could probably buy 2 or 3 cheapy eBay tanks for that price but it'll be kinda fun making my own custom stainless tank.

Thanks for all the help guys.  Much appreciate.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 01:08:22 AM »
Nathan, no one will ever be able to accuse you of under building!  :-D :-D :cheers:

Pete