Author Topic: Battery requirements for LSR/SCTA racing  (Read 6275 times)

Offline craigibc

Battery requirements for LSR/SCTA racing
« on: January 31, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »
Do I need a special battery to run at El Mirage and Bonneville or can I use a regular battery in my car? SCTA Rule 3.K page 33 under batteries does not say anything about what type of battery needed to pass tech.

What does the rule require a certain type of battery and what do you guys recommend? Should I get a Optima Red Top battery or just a good regular car battery?

Craig

Offline Stan Back

Re: Battery requirements for LSR/SCTA racing
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »
You can use any type you want -- just as long as you follow the tie-down rules, etc., in 3.K.

We've used the same two wheelchair batteries for over 10 years.  Out back for weight and always on a battery tender.

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline craigibc

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »
Thanks Stan!

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »
Craig,

Batteries make pretty good movable ballast and can be used to fine tune the total balance of your car, particularly on a door slammer. Generally you want to keep ballast in front of the rear axle and low. If you locate a battery or batteries inside the drivers compartment even a sealed battery like an Optima will need a leak proof box. I got gigged on this at Bonneville a few years ago.

Tom

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:05:15 PM »
Red top if you are locating it in the passenger compartment or no sealed wall between you and the battery... that way you don't need to put it in a sealed battery box.  You still need to tie it down.  Just my opinion, SOMV (Stan's opinion may vary)

Well, I posted late, so I guess I might have a conflicting opinion.  Last I knew, AGM sealed batteries did not need to be in a sealed container since nothing can come out even if you cut it in half.  So depending on location I guess I would contact the tech line and ask if AGM batteries need to be in a sealed box.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 12:22:27 PM »
I would say that if there was an option of no containment for red tops the tech's would be overwhelmed by all who claim the thousands of different types of sealed batteries out there are they really sealled or not.  Just like the guys who show up with a Eurapeein helmets that cost thousands of dollars and no Shnell rating.  Best to use a containment.

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 03:00:36 PM »
Consider an Odessey if you have a size/placement problem. I've used them for years and they can start a pretty high compression engine.........Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:50:34 PM »
Red top if you are locating it in the passenger compartment or no sealed wall between you and the battery... that way you don't need to put it in a sealed battery box.  You still need to tie it down.  Just my opinion, SOMV (Stan's opinion may vary)

Well, I posted late, so I guess I might have a conflicting opinion.  Last I knew, AGM sealed batteries did not need to be in a sealed container since nothing can come out even if you cut it in half.  So depending on location I guess I would contact the tech line and ask if AGM batteries need to be in a sealed box.

"sealed" batteries are still vented and release hydrogen.  also, there's no designation between agm or wet batteries in the rule book.  when in doubt put it in a box.  doing otherwise is at your own risk (of not getting through tech).
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »
Good point Nathan. Should I give Steve's joe oakie rule?
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 09:53:45 PM »
Here I'm going to share it with you anyway. You alternate driver left a switch on in the car, your at speedweek. You don't have time to go into town to get a new one. You take one out of a push truck someone said you could use. A bunch of different things could happen but your battery explodes and your covered in acid, BTW all optima battery's have liquid acid inside(theyre only spill proof not crash proof). That's the Joe Oakie rule, wich is an opinion of the tech inspectors.
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 10:22:46 PM »
Don't think you will find any liquid in an AGM battery.... if you cut one in half, it will probably short out but nothing will spill.  Unless they have changed the way those are made since they moved to Mexico, the acid is a thin layer of paste and the lead and acid are spiral wound to make a cell.
I'm not an inspector, so if they say you must put an AGM in a sealed box, it would be a good idea
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 02:49:40 PM »
Play it safe and also so you sure of passing inspection, put the one or two batteries in the trunk! that extra weight should be a small percentage of the ballast you install in the car!!
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine