Author Topic: Utah Belly Tank  (Read 234606 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Utah Belly Tank
« Reply #420 on: June 21, 2015, 08:50:28 PM »
Following FB's advice... Pull the valve cover (intake manifold) and check the seal for damage
Damn underhead valve motors have different terminology for the same thing  :roll: :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #421 on: June 22, 2015, 07:50:27 AM »
It's all good Mark.  :wink: It is incumbent upon me to weed through "suggestions" for viability before doing any disassembly.  :-) Not only do I not have rocker covers, I don't have any rockers to cover. I woke up in the middle of the night to this revellation; The seals on the intakes on a Flathead Ford are on the body of the guide, not on the valve stem. So, "to the question "Do I have valve seals?" Not so much. The plot thickens. Wayno

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #422 on: June 22, 2015, 12:50:24 PM »
Stan, don't give up on the leakdown tester. It actually works, it's the instructions that are incorrect. I went to the HF site and read reviews of the tester and the proper procedure was outlined. My readings (cold) are pretty much in line with each other with the offending cylinder dead center on the values.  :-) I'll continue but I want to establish as many baseline values as I can. I'm learning. Wayno

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #423 on: June 24, 2015, 04:39:46 PM »
Mark, the leakdown readings (cold) were all fairly close in the 12% range. I'm waiting for some other things to happen before I can tear it down. It shouldn't be long. I did snake a tie wrap through the sparkplug hole on the offending cylinder and it came back with oil on the tip. OK. Not much information but it all adds up. Wayno

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #424 on: June 24, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »
a wag is that it's sucking oil though a leak in the intake.

Online Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #425 on: June 24, 2015, 05:50:12 PM »
Just more cannon fodder for you Wayno.

Since you have individual coils are you sure the plug is firing? If the spark plug is not firing it would allow oil in the cylinder but still keep leak down readings normal. Just a thought, should be easy to check before tearing stuff down.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #426 on: June 24, 2015, 06:19:31 PM »
I have to pull the intake to adjust the valves so I'll keep my eyes peeled for evidence. I'll look into the coil too. Thanx guys.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #427 on: June 26, 2015, 12:26:21 AM »
Is the oil ring on the piston?  Us older guys sometime forget stuff.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #428 on: June 26, 2015, 07:34:52 AM »
Yes. Wayno

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #429 on: June 26, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
have you started digging for oil yet  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #430 on: June 26, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »
That should be later today. I had some other issues to sort and that happened last night.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline salt27

« Reply #431 on: June 29, 2015, 11:03:18 PM »
Wayno, your killing us.   :?

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #432 on: June 30, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »
Wayno, your killing us.   :?
LOL. :-D  :evil:  :dhorse:
  Sid.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #433 on: June 30, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »
That should be later today. I had some other issues to sort and that happened last night.  :cheers: Wayno

.....and the winner is.... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #434 on: July 03, 2015, 11:12:01 AM »
Progress. I pulled the head on the offending side and everything looked fine. I pulled the intake manifold and gave a cursory inspection and saw nothing wrong. No misplaced ( :wink:) oil or anything. Waitaminit. The intake valve is veeeery far from the lifter. Turns out the adjustable lifter had taken it upon itself to re- adjust itself to .117" instead of a more comfortable .012". I'll look to see if this caused any damage and go on from there. Next year maybe these adjustables will be gone. I'd like that. At least it's not pure mystery any more.  :cheers: Wayno