Author Topic: Utah Belly Tank  (Read 234605 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Utah Belly Tank
« Reply #345 on: November 01, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »
Nate, I saw Gary's work on the tank in September, the evolution of the rest of the build, Wayno's ubercustom trick F1 style manifold, and then I saw it was in your hands.

Nate, I remain doubtless.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #346 on: November 01, 2014, 07:47:33 PM »
Thanks Chris.   :wink: 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #347 on: November 11, 2014, 07:40:21 AM »
On Sunday I was pulling hard in third at about the mile when it shut off. According to data I was doing 135 at that time. I am encouraged because this is only the second pass on the new setup and I had a throttle stop set at 80%. By the way, I drove down last Monday because vacuum sucked the top of the plenum in on the dyno last Sunday. I effected the repairs and made it to the races. I'm home but whipped. When I say whipped, I just mean tired. I assure you, I ain't whipped. Wayno

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #348 on: November 11, 2014, 08:15:32 AM »
On Sunday I was pulling hard in third at about the mile when it shut off. According to data I was doing 135 at that time. I am encouraged because this is only the second pass on the new setup and I had a throttle stop set at 80%. By the way, I drove down last Monday because vacuum sucked the top of the plenum in on the dyno last Sunday. I effected the repairs and made it to the races. I'm home but whipped. When I say whipped, I just mean tired. I assure you, I ain't whipped. Wayno

The one thing that bothers me about your sucking in the top of the plenum is that there must have been some restriction in the intake path to cause such a high vacuum. Have you looked into what caused the vacuum? Too small or too restrictive air cleaners are often the cause. There's definitely some horsepower hidden there.

Pete

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #349 on: November 11, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »
Pete, that would have been because the throttle body was closed. It is on the plenum and the first thing the air sees. There are no butterflies or anything after that. The air has a clear path to the valve. The failure was due to a problem with my building. I used aluminum pop rivets in a structural area. I forgot that aluminum pop rivets are merely decorative trim.  :roll: Wayno

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #350 on: November 11, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »
While I have your attention I'd like to point out that this week couldn't have happened without the help of Ray Federowicz, John Romero, Sparkplug Gary, Steve Otten, Nate Stewart, Mike Manghelli, Rick Yacoucci, Doug Robinson and Gus. They were all there when the chips were down. I owe 'em big.  :cheers: Wayno
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:19:23 PM by Elmo Rodge »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #351 on: November 11, 2014, 04:54:13 PM »
Pete, that would have been because the throttle body was closed. It is on the plenum and the first thing the air sees. There are no butterflies or anything after that. The air has a clear path to the valve. The failure was due to a problem with my building. I used aluminum pop rivets in a structural area. I forgot that aluminum pop rivets are merely decorative trim.  :roll: Wayno

You're right Wayno, aluminum "Pop" rivets are well named. All of us get caught out on that sort of thing once in a while. Most of us don't make the mistake the second time. It's called experience!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #352 on: November 11, 2014, 05:19:30 PM »
Glad to hear you made it Wayno! Hopefully you got some good info, and the old girl will really scream come next year!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #353 on: November 11, 2014, 05:30:49 PM »

Elmo;

Try using AVEX rivets. They are far better than common Pop rivets but use the same tool to install them. Reasonable price from Aircraft Spruce.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #354 on: November 11, 2014, 06:13:24 PM »

http://stuffnobodycaresabout.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Cover-Whipped-Cream-and-Other-Delights.jpg

Hehehe, haw haw haw , hi Wayno, cherry anyone? :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #355 on: November 11, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »
Kind Doctor, sir.  Perhaps you'll explain to those of us north of you -- just what Herb Alpert's album cover has to do with Wayno's car.  I think I might still have that album. . .

Just yesterday I received the two new pieces of hardware for the 'puter.  One will hold 35mm slides for digitalising (my word) for the cormputer, and the other is a turntable so I can put the dozens, nay hundreds, of records into the machine here.  Just think:  I'll soon be able to listen to the Mystic Moods Orchestra and Benny Goodman's Carnegie Hall concert featuring the long version of "Sing, song, sing".  My complete collection of Jefferson Airplane and some Andy Warhol and "Power Tools" by I don't remember.  I searched and the machine came up with Ronald Shannon Jackson as the force behind the band, but I saw that it was a one and only album - and there was no song on it that I recognised.  I guess, therefore, it's time for me to submit this post.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 06:36:45 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #356 on: November 11, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »
Jon, I know the cold weather slows thinking.... Wayno was a little whipped.... if you need more help, ask Nancy
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #357 on: November 11, 2014, 06:41:23 PM »
Fortunately for us, the weather isn't cold during this snowy storm.  It's now evening -- and the temp has plummeted all the way down to 27F.  The problem with that is the snow is so wet and sticky that it clogs the output chute of the snow thrower repeatedly when I'm throwing the snow.  Frequently like three or four times with the little 'thrower - and again a few times with the bigger machine.  At least it didn't clog when I was using the BIG snow thrower -- the one that's 66" wide and powered by a 56 hp turbo diesel.  That one worked okay - 'cept that one leg of the electric control cable is farkled and so I couldn't re-aim or re-deflect the output.  Poo!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #358 on: November 11, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »
Hey Stainless. Get off Slim's back.  :x He doesn't need any old cold weather to slow his brain down.  :wink: I got your back, Jon.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #359 on: November 11, 2014, 08:44:43 PM »
Yep... I see what you mean  :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O