Author Topic: Utah Belly Tank  (Read 234639 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Utah Belly Tank
« Reply #165 on: May 21, 2012, 07:52:03 AM »
Jon, when you say canopy, do you mean the hatch? Walrus, I was going to give Aircraft Windshield a call to freshen up on "care and feeding" of my screen. Wayno

Offline Jon

« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »
Yes Wayno.
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2012, 04:59:25 PM »
OK Jon. There are 2 roll bars over my head and another forward of the hatch. Actually, the hatch opening is a few inches in front of the roll bar so I can grab it to exit.. Does that help?  :-D Wayno

Offline Vergil

• New folks
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2012, 10:42:24 PM »
Great build thread Wayno, was a pleasure visiting with you Sat at El Mirage. Took your advise and joined the forum, looks like it will be a great place to learn.

Vergil
Flathead Challenged

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2012, 10:53:08 PM »
It was great talking with you and Doug, Vergil. I'm really amazed that our paths hadn't crossed more solidly prior to this. You'll like it here. Wayno

Offline Jon

« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2012, 02:05:28 AM »
Thanks Wayno

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »
I got the hatch built hinged latched and mostly fitted. I just got fully suited (again) to make sure I could exit the car in its' current configuration. I work on the premise that I know nothing and constantly check stuff. Anyway, my biggest concern has always been getting my helmet under the roll hoop to get out. Losing 15 pounds made it a snap. Oh, and the machine shop called to inform me that my block passed magnaflux and pressure test. Yippeee.  8-) Wayno

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2012, 11:06:42 AM »
OK. Since I've made such an effort to isolate the cockpit from the engine compartment, the thought of running a pressurized oil line to run an oil pressure guage into said cockpit leaves me cold. Would I be better off with an electric guage? Wayno

Offline Tman

« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2012, 12:21:20 PM »
OK. Since I've made such an effort to isolate the cockpit from the engine compartment, the thought of running a pressurized oil line to run an oil pressure guage into said cockpit leaves me cold. Would I be better off with an electric guage? Wayno

Good question, hot oil not good. How about a guage in the back for tuning and a pressure sensor with an OH CRAP light up front for you? Pondering these things myself. :cheers:

Offline Jon

« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2012, 02:15:42 PM »

Good question, hot oil not good. How about a guage in the back for tuning and a pressure sensor with an OH CRAP light up front for you? Pondering these things myself. :cheers:

I'm only putting a set of idiot lights up front, for the motor will be red for oil pressure, yellow for coolant temp and "burn your eyes red" for knock, no lights = good.

Simple and you don't need to look.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2012, 05:45:51 AM »

Just tie a rag around your leg under the gauge. oh , hang on, wrong car. :roll: :roll:

Put a gauge down the back somewhere so you can look at it when you are tuning it. Just a red light in the front for oil with a high pressure (more than 10 psi) switch, and a different color shift light, and a tacho. Doesn't matter where you put the tacho as you will not be able to see it
If you see a red light come on, switch the motor off and turn out, if you see the other color light, change gear.
G :-D
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2012, 06:34:08 AM »

Just tie a rag around your leg under the gauge. oh , hang on, wrong car. :roll: :roll:

Put a gauge down the back somewhere so you can look at it when you are tuning it. Just a red light in the front for oil with a high pressure (more than 10 psi) switch, and a different color shift light, and a tacho. Doesn't matter where you put the tacho as you will not be able to see it
If you see a red light come on, switch the motor off and turn out, if you see the other color light, change gear.
G :-D

He's couldn't be righterer. Theres a shipload going on at speed and there are two important pieces of info....."change gear" and "turn it off" are the two things you need to know.......my last run in our car demanded most of my available wits to keep it pointed in the right direction, that was likely due to the motor beating itself to death and the flywheel trying to escape but either way the lights didn't come on and I ran a good speed. Now, if I'd had gauges and been watching the oil pressure I definitely wouldn't have run that speed, but we would have had an intact motor. We've built a much better motor for under 4 grand.......Win!

Get idiot lights, the two seconds you spend focusing on a gauge could be lethal.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2012, 07:23:42 AM »
Thanx guys. With any luck I'm smart enough for idiot lights.  :-P Wayno

Offline Tman

« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
Thanx guys. With any luck I'm smart enough for idiot lights.  :-P Wayno

Take pictures Wayno, the rest of us are copying you! :cheers:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »
Goggles sed "Get idiot lights, the two seconds you spend focusing on a gauge could be lethal."
My attention span isn't nearly that long.  :roll: Wayno