Author Topic: 2012 Salt Talks t-shirt "art"  (Read 17880 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
2012 Salt Talks t-shirt "art"
« on: February 08, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »
It's that time again - to start getting things lined up for SpeedWeek and specifically for Salt Talks 2012.  Here's the story (in brief):  For years we'd choose the vehicles that went on the shirts that we sell at Salt Talks by looking through the build diaries and picking the vehicles that appeared the most and best out of all of 'em.  but since selling those shirts (and Salt Talks itself) are a fund raiser, last year it was suggested (Thanks, Stainless) that I auction all of the three or four locations on the shirt.  Highest bidder gets first choice, but since they're all on the front of the shirt (will be on the front this time, for sure) and so on.  But it doesn't matter too much where you end up - you'll be on there.

I'm going to try something different this year.  You all know Ray the Rat (I betcha you've seen his work, at least), and he's going to take the "winning" photos and customize the art on the shirt from them.  We've always had an outside artist do the artwork - let's give Ray's efforts a try.

By the also way, we'll make the shirts here at Kudos Laser Engraving.  We now can make full-color transfers of photos and all sorts of other art - so we'll do the shirts.  They're a bit higher quality than the traditional shirts -- these have to be mostly, if not 100%, polyester.  Think "UnderArmour".

So let the bidding to get YOUR car or bike on the next Salt Talks shirt.  I'll let the bidding go on for a couple of weeks, at least, so that most everyone will have seen this by the time it ends.  I'll also post a few reminders as time goes by.

Last thing:  We're getting a small order of landracing.com hats.  We're buying about 2 dozen, so don't use your hat budget 'til you see one of ours.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
Re: 2012 Salt Talks t-shirt "art"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »
(bump).  The response isn't quite as good as last year - so I'm sending this post back to the top of the list.  Get your bids in - even if they aren't for a kilobuck - to secure for yourself a place in history.  Thanks
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:25:05 AM »
I guess we are doing this by PM auction?  It is hard to tell, you guys should speak up and step up.   I'll start with the same bid as last year, got me a nice spot on the shirt for my buddy's Free style ride... Wonder what I should try this time...
It's not about buying your way on the shirt, it is about immortalizing your or a ride while helping the website raise cash to keep going.... Don's 56 might look good on there.... it can be anything that has turned a wheel on the salt, or at Texas, or Maxton, or Wilmington, or Mojave, or Blackrock....come on... a couple of 130 Club cars, maybe a 36 HP challenger... this will be fun, let's not make Jon fidget too much, he can have this done before the last minute rush starts.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »
This is a SAMPLE only.  Here's Ray's first try at doing the art for the shirt.  Yes, that's him on by his 130 Club car.  The shirt will almost certainly NOT LOOK like this, but I thought that maybe showing you an image of where we're going will help Stainless get things going better.  by the way -- sure, send me a PM with your bid, although I'm wondering if I should open it to this thread so everyone can see where the price is.  Nah - leave it private for a while, at least.  Thanks Stainless.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:40:12 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »
I like the mountains as a background and the subjects on an angle give it life.

It would be excellent if the images that are presented are not total profiles or a profile and a 3/4 shot to

give the shirt designer a choice..

That too would add to the feel of the shirt.

Butt what the H E L L do I no?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »
Slim - you can do T shirts now ... ?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »
Yes, Joe -- we can do shirts - and other things, too, like mouse pads and coffee mugs and big acrylic discs and so on.  We print them with full-color photographs, too -- not just silk screen, which will age and crack and eventually fall off.  This process is "dye sublimation" and it puts the colors right into the fabric.  The fabric has to be mostly, if not 100%, polyester - - think "Underarmor".  We did one for Jeff Brock (Bombshell Betty, the '53 slammed Buick).  go to Facebook and search for Nancy Wennerberg, then scroll down 'til you see the disc.  You'll recognise the car.  I'll see if I've got a photo here at the house - I know there's one at the store.

Send me a photo and I'll put it on your travel coffee mug and so on - or your t-shirt.  Thanks for asking.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:38:21 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:05:31 PM »
Bump.

I'm surprised at youse guys -- last year we had a bidding war and this year -- not much interest at all.  Remember, one of the ways I get the $$ needed to keep the site running is through stuff like this auction.  Get your photo on the Salt Talks t-shirts - or forgive me when I try some other kind of fund-raiser.  Don't worry, though -- I won't be as bothersome as the beggars on public broadcasting.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:32:32 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 06:46:27 PM »
well, I won't be on the salt this year, so I'm not putting in for a salt shirt photo.
but, I am putting a pittance in through my meager pay pal account.

I am on the site almost everyday.
I get answers to unasked questions, asked ?'s and learn quite a bit.
( there are times when I don't get answers.! ) I enjoy the hell out of it.

great site. that's my 2 cents for now and it will be more than that donated.

franey

anyone else? all are welcome.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »
I wont be at SW Salt Talks but I will be at WOS Salt Talks 2. Come on guys you dont want to see mine and SSS stuff two years ago. Charles cmon get that beautiful Studebaker on the t shirt. If I get out bid I will sent Slim what I bid?? :cheers: :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 01:16:30 AM »
Fred, you don't have to put your bike on the shirt with one of the winning bids.... you could put the Guppy on it, or the old twin engine, or your first Bonneville ride.... lots of options
I'm thinking Abarth... but I still have to win a spot first....
Get off your butts slackers, don't make me put some old slow something on the shirt.... or maybe I can win all three spots... Hey SSS I'll bid 100 for another spot, and 50 for the third  :-o
Stainless

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 11:14:08 AM »
Fred, you don't have to put your bike on the shirt with one of the winning bids.... you could put the Guppy on it, or the old twin engine, or your first Bonneville ride.... lots of options

Ok, Flatcad Racing is in with a bid.

I'm thinking that instead of our car, we'll ask Tony if we can use one of his avatars! :evil:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 11:24:44 AM »
Ah, that's better.  Good thing for you, Stainless -- I think you'd be on the outs with some of your racing chums if you got all the space on the 2012 shirt.

Thanks for the bid, 38F (boy, those'd be big, wouldn't they? :-o :-o)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 12:31:25 PM »
Please step up racers, if I have to kick in a bid the t-shirt may have an IBM Thinkpad and a 4G wireless stick, along with my ugly coco on it grinning over my drool cup.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »
....Thanks ... 38F (boy, those'd be big, wouldn't they? :-o :-o)

till about 55, then they'd be 42L  :-D
Stainless