Author Topic: Second Wind: the 200mph Merkur  (Read 138817 times)

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
Re: Second Wind: the 200mph Merkur
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2014, 05:39:23 PM »
EGT's will be your main enemy. I found a larger turbo, big injectors are better. I used 160lb  injectors on the old engine, it was about your same cid.
Richard 2
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 08:41:56 PM by Richard 2 »
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2014, 05:41:29 PM »
Mike, and just in time for Freud's gathering... can we drop by for a peek in person

don't let one run tell you to weigh us in and out....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2014, 06:25:43 PM »
Mike, and just in time for Freud's gathering... can we drop by for a peek in person

don't let one run tell you to weigh us in and out....

If I can remember the combo to my safe so that I can secure my checkbook  :evil: you're more than welcome.  I'm maybe 1.5 miles due south of the hotel.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2014, 06:35:06 PM »
Sum, the turbo in the pics is the one that Rick used in '98 to run 208 (it's a couple hundred -ahem!- horses too small for this engine).

I looked at the bw site, it seemed too difficult, so I moved to the Garrett Turbo Advisor, which now seems too simple (and has problems according to my limited knowledge) , so I've been planning on going back.

Thanks.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2014, 06:54:41 PM »
Sum, the turbo in the pics is the one that Rick used in '98 to run 208 (it's a couple hundred -ahem!- horses too small for this engine).

I looked at the bw site, it seemed too difficult, so I moved to the Garrett Turbo Advisor, which now seems too simple (and has problems according to my limited knowledge) , so I've been planning on going back.

Thanks.

Mike

Let me know if I can help.  PM me if you'd want some free phone help for what that is worth.  It is more complex but also probably more realistic especially considering the density altitude and temps we run at.  Most of the online calculators don't factor that in or some of the other things that program does. 

It is easy to post the outputs from it on other manufacture's maps like I did here....

http://www.vortec4200.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1031

... on a post on another board,

Sum

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »
http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/
Have a bit of a wander around in here Mike, this is the easiest calculator for the novice. This is also the gearing calculator site I posted some time back.
Good advice there from Richard about being a little on the big side with the turbo. You want the best compressor efficiency in the RPM window you plan on running to keep the charge temp as low as possible but still move the desired volume & that will typically be too big for bottom end snap.
  Sid.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2014, 08:08:56 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I'll be studyin' and askin'.

Mike

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2014, 10:52:20 PM »
Mike,

Are you still planing on using a PiMP for engine management?  If so, with some data logging?  If so, care to share how you might be setting the logging up?

Having a 2.3 Merk in a buddy's lakester nearing completion I'm following your build with much interest. 

Thanks

Ed

Offline Esslinger Eng

• Esslinger Engineering
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2014, 12:08:07 AM »
Nice pic's Mike!  Give me a call, or drop me an e-mail about turbo choices for your car.  Rick is correct about choosing the right injectors and turbo to keep the EGT's down.  I'd suggest you look into running 4 ID2000's on your ride to make sure you have enough head room and can still idle the thing on gas...  The ID2000's are a much better injector than the old Bosch 160's. 

Is the Merk going to be in F/BGCC?  I think there is a MkVIII that will be in that class also with Ford 2.3 based power... 

Brian
Brian

*** The above information is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Esslinger Engineering, Inc. ***

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2014, 12:28:59 AM »
Damn, Brian, I can't say anything about Esslinger without you following  and I know you're not the NSA  :mrgreen:

I just a poor boy, see what I said to John Dell Blair on turboford  :-D

Talk with you Monday.

Mike

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2014, 02:53:38 PM »
Mike,

Are you still planing on using a PiMP for engine management?  If so, with some data logging?  If so, care to share how you might be setting the logging up?

Having a 2.3 Merk in a buddy's lakester nearing completion I'm following your build with much interest. 

Thanks

Ed

Ed,

High on my list of things that I should have already done but haven't is to have a conversation with Wes Kiser about electronics.  I'm pretty sure that the "simple" PiMP won't do the datalogging that I want to do nor provide the amount of boost control I hope to have.

So, right now I have nothing to share with you.

Mike

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »
i dont know what hp you are looking for... but given the displacement and teh capabilities of that head and short block..
i would guess somewhere north of 800 on "low" boost?
i have had a relationship with teh folks here at forced performance over the last 7 or 8 years, and their products are awesome.
they offer garrett based turbos, with custom wheels and such.
http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=NTFPSUPER99

this dude is a HOSS of a turbo, in a t3 footprint, t4 and tial vband also available. most folks that use them are on a 2.0L 4g63, but a SOHC 2.3 ought work just fine as well...

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Mike

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2014, 04:08:45 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the straight up response.

We have had the car running inside up on jackstands with a stock PK3 ECU that came from a 'yard car along with the harness, and basically stock 2.3 to check for leaks etc., and were planning on running that set up to shake down the car when completed.  

I was thinking about a piggyback system for the next stage when we start making eng mods then saw and got interested in the PiMP when I noticed logging abilities and thought it would be good to have some base info from the get go.  I thought they offered an optional add on board that allowed more logging beyond what the ECU controls but am unsure of any exact details.

Right now I'm concentrating on helping to get the car itself completed, getting it down a course safely this year is #1 priority, anything more will be icing on the cake.  If I get a chance to dig for more information and come up with anything new before you call Wes I'll let you know.

Ed

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2014, 04:31:14 PM »
Ah, now I see that I misunderstood what you were asking.

I have the PiMP setup in the Merk and have had it out and into my 2.3T Fox Mustang to get some hands on time with it.  But it won't do everything I think I'll need, so I'll be upgrading.

It's a good tunable ECU with all of the basic datalogging, which is done automatically.  The tuning software lets you display any of the data that it's recording,  live or after the fact.

If all you need is basic datalogging (Stinger's website should list everything it logs) and tuning down the line, it would certainly work for you. 

It's basically plug and play (you'll need to add a wideband o2 setup) and will come with a tune to suit your engine.

If you want basic datalogging, you're going to want to upgrade your ecu.  I'd say go for it.

Mike