Author Topic: Second Wind: the 200mph Merkur  (Read 138737 times)

Offline horsewidower

• New folks
Re: Second Wind: the 200mph Merkur
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2012, 11:56:47 PM »
You bet!!!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2012, 12:17:58 AM »
Slow ugly jobs: scrapping loose paint, wire brushing light surface rust, re-caulking all interior seams.

The fuel cell is mounted in the spare tire well.  The well needed cleaning and painting, so I pulled the fuel cell out.

Eureka!  In front of the fuel cell, I found 100 lbs of dead weight ballast that Grib didn't find and remove for running the Merk at Maxton:

Painting the spare tire well in low-bucks mode:

Drained old racing gas out of the fuel cell, cleaned it out, and installed new rubber hoses for the fuel pump pickups:

More as it happens.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »
......Why is it that I have a sneaking suspicion that you visit Parkrose Hardware from time to time????

I love where you are going with this project!!!!!

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2012, 11:53:06 PM »
......Why is it that I have a sneaking suspicion that you visit Parkrose Hardware from time to time????

~JH

Only 4-5 times a week  :lol: for this and other projects.

Thanks for the compliment.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jb2

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »
got an update?

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2013, 11:11:18 AM »

Any progress in 2013 ?

Jon

Hot Rod Lincoln

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2014, 01:20:40 PM »
Well, after a long, tortuous, often depressing, 18-month journey, I finally have all of the hard to get pieces to begin assembling my engine.

Bore: 3.858", stroke: 3.745", rod length: 5.850", compression ratio: 10:1

Pretty much full mock-up:

Cylinder head (Esslinger ARCA via Boport Racing Heads):

Dry sump pan:

Girdle:

Fully counter-balanced crank:

Intake (Esslinger Racing):

Header (Boport Racing Heads):

The dry sump is Barnes, picked up off of eBay for a song, sent back to Barnes to swap the mount from passenger (turbo) side to driver side and a complete rebuild (replaced the bearings, otherwise it was perfect).  Total cost: much less than the asking price of most eBay used 6-stage pumps.

The block is a new Esslinger Racing tall deck block (which carries a Ford part number) but is non-original thereby qualifying as an engine swap suitable for F/BGC.

Assembly may be done by Denny Aldridge http://www.aldridgemotorsportsinc.com/ who is a meticulous builder of all things Ford and offered to do it for a price that's hard to refuse (although I'll probably turn down the use of his engine dyno - the logistics of getting fuel system, intercooler(s), system wiring, etc. look to be overwhelming).

I probably left a lot out.  Ask, please!

Hopefully, I'll have more updates soon.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:24:33 PM by 4-barrel Mike »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2014, 01:24:53 PM »
We'd forgotten all about that project -- but, WOW!  Great pictures.  Real progress.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline desotoman

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2014, 02:39:40 PM »
Well, after a long, tortuous, often depressing, 18-month journey, I finally have all of the hard to get pieces to begin assembling my engine.

Girdle:

The dry sump is Barnes, picked up off of eBay for a song, sent back to Barnes to swap the mount from passenger (turbo) side to driver side and a complete rebuild (replaced the bearings, otherwise it was perfect).  Total cost: much less than the asking price of most eBay used 6-stage pumps.

The block is a new Esslinger Racing tall deck block (which carries a Ford part number) but is non-original thereby qualifying as an engine swap suitable for F/BGC.

Assembly may be done by Denny Aldridge http://www.aldridgemotorsportsinc.com/ who is a meticulous builder of all things Ford and offered to do it for a price that's hard to refuse (although I'll probably turn down the use of his engine dyno - the logistics of getting fuel system, intercooler(s), system wiring, etc. look to be overwhelming).

I probably left a lot out.  Ask, please!

Hopefully, I'll have more updates soon.

Mike

Mike,

Don't get depressed, I am impressed. You have come a long way, and making good progress.(more than I can say) Please keep us updated and thanks for the pictures. I love that Girdle.

Thanks,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »

.... I love that Girdle....

I agree that is beautiful.  The girdles I've seen just support the existing bearing caps.  That one actually has the bearings in it.  Was it made close and then a final line bore while installed on the block?  

Lots of engineering and work done there.  Congrats on the whole deal,

Sum
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:20:31 PM by Sumner »

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2014, 03:33:33 PM »
Thanks, Tom.  Hopefully I'm passed the depressing stage, you know, where phone calls and emails go unanswered, or, worse perhaps, when phone call questions about progress are answered with "Gee, I guess I need to be pushed."

With assembly being done locally, if needed, I can camp out on their doorstep or hire someone with a baseball bat to do a Nancy Kerrigan job.   :mrgreen:

Sum, yep, align bored with the block.  More girdle pics (from Esslinger Racing, btw):

Mike

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »
....Sum, yep, align bored with the block.  More girdle pics (from Esslinger Racing, btw)....

Thanks, I'm saving them all.  I need to make or buy a girdle eventually for my motor and will use these for ideas.  I'm sure I won't be able to duplicate them, beyond me, but maybe some simpler ones that support the existing caps.  I can buy one, but if I can make it I will,

Sum

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2014, 05:12:07 PM »
Mike, How much boost and what size injectors are you going to run.
Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »
Richard 2,

Straight answer: right now I don't know.  Brian @ Esslinger's says 40 pounds of boost shouldn't be a problem (assuming, of course, a REALLY good tune) so I'm going to start low and work my way up.  And I haven't done the research yet on injectors yet, although I have a set of 160lb-ers that probably aren't suitable.

I'm open to any and all advice  :-D

Mike

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »
....I'm open to any and all advice  :-D  Mike

Do you have a turbo picked out?  If not Borg Warner's MatchBot...

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/aftermarket/matchbot/index.html

... is a great program to use either with their turbos or plotting their output pressure ratios and air needed on a different turbo's compressor map.  With theirs you also have a good idea how the turbine side is going to work for your application.  Also it will give you the fuel requirements that helps in selecting the injectors and the rest of the fuel system.

I used it on picking out the turbos for Hooley's Stude and my lakester which is also a F motor.

It has a good tutorial on using it and other info in general at the bottom of the screen of the link above,

Sum

On Edit:  I see you do have a turbo so guess you don't need the above  :cry:,  which turbo do you have now?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:40:40 PM by Sumner »