Author Topic: Second Wind: the 200mph Merkur  (Read 138726 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Second Wind: the 200mph Merkur
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 01:10:26 PM »
Hi Mike

Following your build, will the Merc be N.A. or Blown? What kind of speed numbers are you looking for?

Thanks

Don

I'll be running F/BGC against a relatively soft 203+ record.

Speed?  As fast as possible  :roll:   This year I'll be happy to get the car thru inspection and make a few learning passes (baby steps).  A pass on the long course would be icing on the cake.

I'm a little slow on getting the engine done, but it will use an Esslinger 9" deck height block http://esslingeracing.com/new-products.htm (top of page) which has been approved as a legal engine swap; a billet 3.725 stroke crank that looks a lot like the Roush late-80s Trans-Am stuff   :-D ; Bo at http://bo-port.com/index.php is building me an ARCA head http://www.esslingeracing.com/catalog/page09.pdf that should be good for 900+hp.

Anyone know any good recipes for Top Ramen?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Tman

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »
I find a sprinkle of ginger and some snap peas or string beans thrown in the ramen at the last minute goes a long ways.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
Mike --

I'm cornfused (what's new) -- What would constitute an illegal engine swap in Gas Coupe?  I see MC engines are legal and record-holders.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »
The "tall deck" block a copy of the block sold by Ford in the early 90s thru Special Vehicle Operations.  It carries the same part number as earlier.  Rick ran an original one in the 90s in Production Supercharged.  Because of this, some thought that it would be a stock block today.  I sought, and got, confirmation that it isn't a stock block replacement (although the Esslinger stock height block is).  Assembled, in the engine compartment, it looks to be an original "stock" engine block (it's 16mm/.63" taller).

The statement was mainly for those that maintained that it would be a production block and not an engine swap (and preclude any further discussion).

BTW, Rick has provided SCTA tech (DW) with the info to readily discern between stock and tall blocks.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:55:58 PM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 11:23:34 PM »
Ok, I see where I'll have to "bump" some metal to widen the tunnel.  But, one step forward, three steps back; there is a possibility of a girdle for the bottom end in the future, somewhat like:

which makes the whole engine taller (doesn't it?), which means that I'll have to move everything up an inch or two.

So I threw together a tub for the bellhousing, 17.5" wide, half that tall, 6" deep with a 1" flange at the firewall:

The "raw" firewall as currently partially patched:

Where I'm thinking of cutting (the black line):

I'm going to sleep on it, and think a little more.  Any thoughts, opinions, etc?\

Mike

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »
Mike.
Since your pan will be dry sump it can be significantly shorter than the production or most aftermarket parts.   Look for a pm today.
You are making really nice progress.
If the girdle looks like the Roush GTO parts, the height will change a little less than this girdle.  OH, there originally was some interference with hood.  Look for a cut out area on reinforcement ribs.  That was with the 19mm taller deck SVO block.
Rick

Offline salt27

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 11:17:16 AM »
there is a possibility of a girdle for the bottom end in the future, somewhat like:

Mike

When you say "in the future" would that be February 8th of 2013 at 10:18? :-D

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 11:38:31 AM »
It must be nice to know exactly when you're going to be done with a project.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 12:06:51 PM »
Actually, that girdle is in someone else's future.  If I get a girdle, it should be in a more near future.

Mike

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2012, 08:32:29 PM »
Well, Rick suggested that since I'm building in clearance for the scattershield that I move the engine back an inch.  So, I redid the "tub" and made it 9" deep instead of 6" which didn't actually cover the entire 'shield.

I cut on the "dotted" line shown yesterday, trimmed the interior tunnel back and slipped the engine and transmission back in.  This may be set back a little more than 1". 

Same as above but from the interior:

And with the tub mocked up and a filler piece of tunnel:

Mocking up one method of engine mount build (note that the tub is in place):

Now for some dinner and back out to the shop.   :mrgreen:

Mike

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »
Wow-that girdle looks stout!

Mike, the build is looking good! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

LittleLiner

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »
Mike --
I'm confused (what's new) -- What would constitute an illegal engine swap in Gas Coupe?  I see MC engines are legal and record-holders.
Stan
Since 4-barrell Mike will be running in Blown Gas Coupe the issue of legal/illegal engine swap becomes somewhat moot because the car 'qualifies' as a legit blown gas coupe because it is running a 'Non-stock supercharger'  (section 5.D.3, page71, 2012 SCTA rules) . . . at least I think that is right :-) 

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »
Yeah, but the Merkur came stock with a turbocharger.  Upgrading to a bigger turbo doesn't move you "up" from Production Supercharged.

:cheers:

Mike

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2012, 11:17:13 PM »
Transmission mount, pending some gussets.  The trans is centered in the car.  The tunnel is assymetric and the mounting brackets follow the sheetmetal so it looks really funny:

Linda always told me that it wasn't a hot rod without a Hurst shifter  :roll:

I'm going to have to move the block forward or cut a notch in the upper firewall as the head has to move rearward about 3/4".  There is, though, plenty of room for the header, if I do:

Just a poor ol' country boy working on the new transmission tunnel with only a broke-down MIG welder:

The inside of the original tunnel has approx 1/8" coating of insulation/sound deadner that EATS 24grit 4.5" disks.  The dust probably eats lungs too.  Ugh.

Mike

Offline Geo

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2012, 11:45:24 PM »
Mike,

The re-build is looking very good.  Another of my favorites!
Just a poor ol' country boy working on the new transmission tunnel with only a broke-down MIG welder
  :cheers:

Geo