Author Topic: Second Wind: the 200mph Merkur  (Read 138585 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Second Wind: the 200mph Merkur
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2014, 12:28:39 AM »
I spy a FE Ford in a background shot.....
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #211 on: June 25, 2014, 12:36:02 AM »
Must be the 427 he said was promised by the end of the week.  Next time I take pics, I'll shoot the others in the assembly room.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Esslinger Eng

• Esslinger Engineering
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2014, 12:08:11 AM »
Mike,

How's it coming along?  I'm sure you're probably in a super thrash mode right now with Speedweek getting closer...?
Brian

*** The above information is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Esslinger Engineering, Inc. ***

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2014, 01:05:49 AM »
Brian:

I've been putting off an update; still waiting on the engine.  Denny is anal by self-description and is very fussy about a number of things vis-à-vis the cam gear hub.  "The joys of a custom long stroke crank" extends to the joys of being the first one to put together a bunch of new parts that may or may not work with existing parts.  Nothing drastic, just time and money, both of which are becoming shorter.  I'm taking notes; you'll get an email.

Anything new on my iron head?    8-)

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Esslinger Eng

• Esslinger Engineering
« Reply #214 on: July 20, 2014, 06:57:46 PM »
I'll e-mail you the flow numbers when I'm at the shop tomorrow, along with the cam grind data. 

If there's anything we can help with, just let me know!
Brian

*** The above information is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Esslinger Engineering, Inc. ***

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #215 on: July 22, 2014, 11:52:46 PM »
When last updated, the crank and girdle were "permanently" installed. Heheheh!

When the rods and pistons were installed, there was a slight interference between the rod bolts and the girdle.  Esslinger's (very friendly) comment was thanks for the heads up and "That's the joy of a custom long-stroke crank." 

So the girdle was removed and notched .040":

Denny thought there was to little clearance, so it was removed again for an addition .010" of clearance. 

The entire assembly requires 127 inch-pounds of torque to rotate:

An interesting thing, that Denny says isn't uncommon with most manufacturers, is that the piston tops are not parallel to the pin (and all four pistons were different):

No. 1 piston, exactly even with the deck at the forward edge, but -.005" at the rear.  The worst was +.005 front, -.005" rear.  Nothing to worry about he says.

Kiwi Paul spent a couple of hours examining the car (and bs'ing) Saturday the 12th.  He suggested moving the fire extinguishing nozzles in the engine compartment much further forward, reinforcing the (sheetmetal) crossmember under the seat where the crouch belt attached:

and a couple of gussets (pictures in the camera are bad, but this one will give you the idea);

He also noted that there were no restraining straps on the rear 4-bar (saved my bacon, he did).

And, he was unhappy with the construction of my Butler-Built, specifically the internal lower back support, too thin and held in with one rivet.  We also marked where the sides should be trimmed where the lap belts went into the seat.  Then he decided that he'd do it all, the thicker aluminum, trimming, and welding it all together solidly:

Other things, Moon disks:

Anybody know the people at Mooneyes?  The disks only come with three holes, and drilling the extra three would not a real problem except that the three supplied holes are not at 120*  intervals.

Finally, Denny Aldridge is done and I have my engine:

Time is short and so is money, but onward, upward, ever!  (Wait, is that an Air Force theme?)

Mike

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2014, 12:25:23 AM »
Glad to be able to help....Now get going!..........Cheers, Mike..... :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2014, 01:27:57 AM »
That's a Ford guy for you. :-D

That car used to be called a Sierra over here.

Looks great Mike. :cheers:

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2014, 11:38:02 AM »

looking good.  Good luck.

What crankshaft are you using ?

Sometimes you wish you could put your foot out and stop the days from spinning by. When the hour glass gets low that sand starts going faster and faster.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2014, 11:49:40 AM »
The crank is custom billet fully-counterbalanced 3.745" $troke:

The time wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many occasions of "one step forward, two steps back"  :-(

Mike

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2014, 02:01:14 PM »
trick parts create trick problems .     

been there done that a few times in my life.

Crank:  Marine Crankshafts Inc from Santa Ana ?

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2014, 02:52:28 PM »
Yep, via Esslinger Racing.

Mike

gkabbt

« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2014, 03:12:55 PM »

The time wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many occasions of "one step forward, two steps back"  :-(

Mike

Know that feeling all to well!!!!!

Engine and car are looking REAL good Mike!
Good luck on the salt!    :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Gregg

Offline desotoman

« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2014, 03:25:19 PM »
Mike,

Looks like everything is coming together nicely. It will all get done in time.

Good luck,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »
Looking good Mike!  :cheers: That's one sweet little engine! Looking forward to seeing it on the salt.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson