Author Topic: Second Wind: the 200mph Merkur  (Read 138763 times)

Offline Esslinger Eng

• Esslinger Engineering
Re: Second Wind: the 200mph Merkur
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2014, 11:24:33 AM »
Sounds like a plan Rick!  Glad to hear that you'll be back out fartin' around with the racecar!

I think Esslinger is involved in one form or another with cars in the following SCTA classes now:

F/BGMR
F/BFMR
F/GL
F/FS
F/BGCC
F/BGC
F/CBGALT
F/CFGALT

We're also in talks with customers looking to run F/FL, G/GL, & G/FL too!  I think if I can make it up to the salt this year, I'll be a busy guy supporting all our wonderful customers!
Brian

*** The above information is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Esslinger Engineering, Inc. ***

Offline rancheroman

« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2014, 07:26:04 PM »
I have a question????  What are the 4  brass fittings for on the exhaust side of the cylinder head...
Paul Calaguiro, 1962 Ranchero F/CGC  140 cu.in. SOHC Ford 4 cyl. Doug Nash 5 speed, 8.8 Ford rear-end. 2004 Dodge SRT-10 street pickup.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2014, 11:43:18 PM »
Rancheroman, On sprint cars they lay the engine over to the left side. And that can cause air to get trapped in the head. So they use those brass ports to stop that from happening by running a -4 return line back to the radiator from those brass ports. 
Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2014, 02:36:13 AM »
More than just air, I think.  The head I'm using is directly descended from what Ford engineered in the early '70s for the Pinto.  Basically, there's no return for the coolant over the exhaust ports. 

This was fine for the 90hp Pinto and even the 200+ hp 2.3T engines of the late '80s.  Lots of guys currently running 400hp or more turbo motors on the street with the same cooling system.  But how long are they on max boost (and exhaust temps) on the street or strip?

Starting in the mid-80s, Roush Racing ran Cougars, Mustangs, OR Merkurs in TransAm with turbo 4-cylinder engines (BING  8-) 'em for car pics - lots of cool cars).  To help keep those engines alive, they needed to eliminate any potential steam pockets over the exhaust port, so they developed the extra cooling ports:

Rick refined their usage for Bonneville in the early-90s (and later):

(note the stock-appearing Ford cast iron manifold on an early edition of the Merk).

I had the extra cooling ports for my head done by my Model A Ford engine builder pal (who has 2 Bridgeports in the basement of his "new" 1920s homestead house) based on measurements from www.turboford.org.

Hopefully, a real engineer will provide real history and data.   :mrgreen:

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »
I can add a little information to the development of "steam ports" as they were called.  Actually everyone is right.  The ports help complete fill of the system, and vent steam.
I used them on my original iron heads and they seemed to work.
Mike is right in that there is no water all around the exhaust port in the iron heads, and I believe most of the Esslinger heads.  The Roush casting (looks like SVO) does have full cooling of the exhaust port, and the SVO head that Dan Esslinger provided me was the same modified casting.  Thicker deck and water all around the ports.  Conventional water flow.  I no longer felt that the steam ports were necessary,and I didn't have cooling problems.  But, back then I was only making 600 HP at the wheels, and now 16 years later, lots more power is being made.
The Roush engines also used cross flow cooling with separate entry and exit for the block and head.  It was essentially a dry deck with metallic "O" rings for combustion seal.
The only head currently that I think has total exhaust port cooling is the tall midget head, which is also a pseudo cross flow cooling pattern.  It works extremely well and I'm using one in the N/A engine for the liner.  I think Mike is correct in machining for them.  Plumbing can always be easily changed.
Rick

gkabbt

« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »
Mike, Been offline for a while and just read your updates. Absolutely incredible is all I can say!  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Looking forward to seeing the old girl run again and without a V8!  :-D

What are your plans for 2014.....Speedweek, WoS, WF?

Gregg

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2014, 12:56:47 PM »
Gregg,

My heart says "Speedweek!".  My wallet and the availability of crewmembers say WoS or WF.

We'll see.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

gkabbt

« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »
Gregg,

My heart says "Speedweek!".  My wallet and the availability of crewmembers say WoS or WF.

We'll see.

Mike

I understang the wallet thing.....They do get thin quick!  :-D 
I still want to experience WoS and the Shootout, so I'm going to try it again this year! Yee Ha.....another road trip!
If ya need an extra crew member, just let me know!

Gregg

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2014, 11:45:25 PM »
Mike, and just in time for Freud's gathering... can we drop by for a peek in person

don't let one run tell you to weigh us in and out....

Stainless, did you get the two PM's I sent in response to your PM?

Mike

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2014, 03:47:22 PM »
Ok!  The Bonneville NW Reunion is over.  Back to work (and spread things out around the  shop again).

Stainless & Johnboy came by early Friday afternoon and did a quick shop tour.  Then across the river to pick up Bob Drury and go to lunch (read about in the BNWR thread).  Then back to Bob's for bench racing.  I headed home about 4pm to get ready for Stainless' Friday evening presentation.

The presentation was informative and thought-provoking.  It has me re-evaluating the safety aspects of my car.  It should be made into video and made mandatory for all car builders & drivers.

Saturday Stainless and Johnboy came by again about noon, with Stan Back tagging along.  Merkur evaluation and upgrade suggestions were made (more about that when I start - soon).  Then into the house for more bench racing.  Beer was served:

Portland Brewing Rose Hip Gold: "A Belgian-style ale with notes of fruit and spice and a little citrusy bite from a generous addition of rose hips in the kettle."

Deschutes Brewery Obsidian Stout: "Deep, robust and richly rewarding, roasted malt and black barley give way to notes of chocolate and espresso.  Smooth and black as the glassy volcanic rock fields it's named for."

Then off again to One Run Bob's.  There we met Don Jackson (Salt27) and son Gus (winner of SCTA scholarship) (sorry guys, I should have invited you to my place).  More beer was served courtesy of Salt27.  Snacks (chips and dips and raisin cookies) were served courtesy of ORB.

Then back home to change into a shirt without salsa on it for the dinner.  Sat a table with Joe & Judy A, Stainless, Johnboy, Salt27 with Mrs. Salt & Gus, John L and Stan Back.  Lots of entertaining conversation to go along with dinner.  Dan Warner was the featured speaker and he talked about his history with LSR and how he got into the 2 clubs.

An evening (and weekend) well worth the time spent.d

Mike

Offline Freud

« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »
THANKS Mike.

Sorry I didn't take anytime to help pull you out of the evil grasp of Stainless, John Bouy and ORB.

Now I will be concerned about making certain of your salvation until the next time we meet.

I may dedicate my next Tattoo to that.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2014, 10:02:05 PM »
Freud, I look forward to seeing your next tattoo.

Update of below; after lunch Friday, we went to see Jack Coonrod's "museum" http://www.jrthompson.net/jackthebearcoonrod.html.  More Indians, hemis, and '33-34 Willys' than I ever imagined seeing in one spot.  The visit was courtesy of ORB.

Mike

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »
Mike Im enjoying following along with the build, neat stuff. Hope to see you at Speedweek. From what I gather, there doesnt seem to be a shortage of folks willing to lend a hand up there.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2014, 12:02:25 AM »
This car is freakin' cool! I dig it!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2014, 12:53:08 AM »
Thanks, guys.

Mike