Author Topic: Speeeedo meters  (Read 9992 times)

Offline Bob Drury

N.H.
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 03:33:28 PM »
Nitro H., I am almost afraid to ask this, but what does one of those babies  retail for? :?:
Bob Drury

Offline tomsmith

gps info
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006, 10:09:25 PM »
Good info.  Just don't drop it in wet salt.  I still can't find my GPS, so I can't try mine out.  I'll try to talk my wife into going to Bonneville as a spectator.  

I'm looking for 2.75x19 H rated 2-ply tires for my Hummer so I won't have to buy new hubs, 17" rims, and modern 125cc tires.  And I'll have to do head/cylinder work and install a carburetor that works.  My main problem is choking about buying leathers for $1K - can't they make an exemption for me and let me wear my bathing suit?  I still have my 1952 Clymer crash helmet.  My wife probably won't let me go to Bonneville unless I lose 50 pounds and can fit into leathers without looking like a bloated seal.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline Nitroholic

• Dirty 2 Club Member
  • New folks
GPS
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 01:24:25 PM »
Bob,  the Racepak G2X Pro Unit starts at $1700 for the unit and the GPS but then if you want Boost EGTs etc.. then it will be extra.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: GPS
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 02:50:38 PM »
Quote from: Nitroholic
Bob,  the Racepak G2X Pro Unit starts at $1700 for the unit and the GPS but then if you want Boost EGTs etc.. then it will be extra.

Another option is the Innovate LM-1 Wide Band O2 sensor and controller along with the LM-3 aux-box.

The LM-1 with a wide band O2 sensor is about $350.  The neat thing about it is besides the O2 sensor you can data log for up to 44 minutes 5 other functions.  They can be anything that puts out a 0-5 volt signal.  Last year I adapted a TPS off another car to the blower linkage on Hooley's Stude and we data logged throttle position along with the air/fuel ratio.  

This year he added the aux-box (LM-3) for another $300 or so that has a lot of the inputs you normally want built into it.  Besides the TPS we ran last year the aux-box will monitor rpm, boost, EGT (one cylinder) and acceleration.  These last 4 are all built into the box.  The TPS signal will now go to the aux-box and will be forwarded on to the LM-1 and data logged.  You can data log as many sessions as you want up to the 44 minute max.

Back at the pits you down-load the data into your computer and the memory in the LM-1 is freed up again.  Once in the computer they have easy to use software that lets you graph the data, separate it out, re-scale it, average (soften) the graphs, etc..

The only drawback I can see is the limit of 5 inputs in addition to the air/fuel it is collecting.  If we wanted to add say inlet temps it would be no problem, but we would have to disable one of the others, say acceleration.

We bought this system originally for the air/fuel readings not realizing really how versatile the system is.  One other hand thing is I have O2 bungs welded into my truck and will add them to my other vehicles and the LM-1 moves easily from vehicle to vehicle to help tune it.  I just used it going to Missouri and back to see my air/fuel going and coming.

The wideband LM-1 also has an output on it so if you are running a computerized fuel injection system that will run under wide band vs. street narrow band the LM-1 will give an output to your computer.

We've been dealing with Greg at Motorsports Innovations on the LM-1 and LM-3 (who has been giving John Burk a hand with his streamliner I believe) and he understands us and has been helpful in a number of ways:

http://motorsportsinnovations.com/index.htm

For more info on the LM-1/LM-3:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/index.html

c ya, Sum