Author Topic: Speeeedo meters  (Read 10012 times)

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Speeeedo meters
« on: March 12, 2006, 05:47:14 PM »
Even in this day and age I still see some of y'all running airspeed indicators and/or mechanical speedos to see how fast you're going.

By sheer luck I pulled one of these from the shelf at Fry's a couple of years back and it has been too cool.  Not only does it measure speed VERY accurately, but it has a nifty little feature that plots position and speed every second for up to 35 minutes (and then "wraps" around and starts over writing the early data) and then downloads it into an Excel spreadsheet format so you can plot run to run changes with overlays.

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/

About $180 as I recall.

Keep the shiny side up (You too, Kent)

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Speeeedo meters
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 09:02:49 PM »
Ok, sounds like a good idea to me. Just picked one up for $132.44 from Walmart.com

Thanks!!!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
speeeedo
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 09:10:55 PM »
If ya got time to ead it ya ain't going fast enough, right Jack D.
Just kidding. I think most of the liners run a airspeed indicator.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Speeeedo meters
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 10:03:40 PM »
Glen,

Yeah I figure you can sorta tell how fast a car really is by looking at the dashboard.  If it's got a bunch of gauges it can't be THAT fast.  The really quick ones only have a shift light.
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
That Depends
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 03:06:55 AM »
How difficult you make your vehicle to drive will determine how much time you have to play with the radio and stuff.
Some vehicles offer a lot more time than others at the same speed.
Just because your ride was a handful does not make it any faster or indicate more power.
 It might just be wrong and that is where you need the Depends. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

LittleLiner

Speeeedo meters
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:11:28 AM »
Considering the speeds I will probably be running I can check my velocity with a calendar.  I plan to mount it next to the cup holder right under the magazine rack.  And the price is great.  I got a free calendar from the VFW.  Shift points are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and if it is pulling well I should be in high gear by Saturday.  Actually the car will go faster than that but I don't think it counts while still on the trailer.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
In Theory
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 11:50:17 AM »
"Theoretical speeds are accomplished by theoretical vehicles."
"A personnel best is all you can count for yourself.
 Only sometimes it is a class record but that is less important."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Jack D the "sage" of Landracing.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 09:05:16 PM »
Jack,
You are either the oldest guy around with a great memory for sayings or you have a great book called "The Book of Wise Oneliners"!!!

Keep it up!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Well
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 09:36:55 PM »
I started really early with some people that were already old and vowed to not only listen to them but sort out the good information from the bad and not repeat. :wink:

Offline Rick Byrnes

Speeeedo meters
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 12:06:35 PM »
Back on the subject of using GPS to determine speeds, we need to be a little careful.  I got a new Garmin Streetpilot 2610 for Glenys and our first trip revealed a glitch in software.  Note fastest speed.  I swear this has not been doctored.  We were in my E350 van going to Florida.  I have yet to talk to Garmin, but thought I should share.

Rick Byrnes
Rick

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Ya gotta believe it..
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 12:29:36 PM »
The trick for the bikers is to send it aloft on a private plane and then stick it on the bike for show.
That speed indicated she was going for the last parking space at the mall.
Your mileage may vary.
Everything looks good. :wink:

Offline tomsmith

gps speedos
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 12:25:25 PM »
Trees, buildings and using a GPS inside your car (without an external antenna) causes glitches, gaps and hiccups.  My wife got a top speed of over 1,000mph while walking near our house.  Of course, you don't have to worry about trees and buildings at Bonneville.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
WORSE CASE
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 01:49:37 PM »
Bonneville is the worst place to depend on any RF transmission because of the electrical characteristics of the salt. :wink:

Offline tomsmith

more on GPS
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 08:47:09 PM »
I tried to give my GPS to one of my kids, but he gave it back.  Next, I decided to take it to Bonneville to see how it worked there, but I can't remember where I put it.  It wasn't a big hit with us (my wife wouldn't use it any more after she got the 1,000mph walking), but I did find that our house was 873 ft above sea level.  

I've not quite given up on running my 1950 Harley Hummer 125cc, but can't get it Bonneville legal until maybe 2007 - I have to safety wire the axle nuts and put ball ends on the clutch/brake levers.  Since I weigh a hundred pounds more than I did in 1952, I probably won't have any traction problems with it.  Of course, the 8 1/2 hp might still overpower the salt.  If I use an expansion chamber instead of my "blewie" straight pipe, I might get 9 hp.  Bonnie watch out - my GPS will certify I'm going at least 2,000 mph!
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline Nitroholic

• Dirty 2 Club Member
  • New folks
GPS
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 03:21:10 PM »
There is a unit out from Racepak called the G2X Pro which is a GPS based Data Recorder.  I have tested the GPS unit in our 811 fuel roadster at Bonneville and El Mirage and works great.  The GPS is accurate down to the feet which I believe is less that 1% in error.  (I would have to double check my notes but I believe that is correct).  I picked up nine sattelites at Bonneville with no problems.  It has an optional display but most of all it can log all of your cars functions on the recorder to be later downloaded for data analysis. (Engine RPM, Drive Shaft RPM, Distance, EGTs, Boost, etc..)  Cool unit just released.