Author Topic: Non-Conventional Suspension  (Read 7498 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Non-Conventional Suspension
« on: March 11, 2006, 07:40:01 PM »

I knew I wanted something inboard and different for the suspension on my lakester some time ago and started taking pictures of unusual suspensions.

I just put a page of pictures that were taken mostly in 2001 and 2003 of different suspensions on my site.  

If you are interested take a look ( HERE ).

c ya, Sum

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 06:03:38 PM »
Come by our pits this next year. I believe we developed the first IFS front wheel drive car that could be stable with beaucou HP. We actually cut the front end off three times and started over before we got it right. Now it's a dream. Straight as an arrow with no torque steer or other funny problems. One good way to assess the setup is to see what hapens in not only accelaration but also at static speeds and in coast. Our first setups worked great in both acceleration and coast mode, but at static speeds, it was a handful. This is an indication that there are greater problems just waiting to surface at the worst possible points in time and space.
rht DannyBoy

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
non
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 06:24:54 PM »
Sum
The modified roadster with the GMC six belongs to Keith & Katie Young
The car was originally built by Gordon Hoyt,sold later to Glenn Miller and finallyKeith bought it 3 years ago. It's a nice hotrod. I really enjoy your web site good stuff.
Glen

Y

y
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 08:52:05 PM »
Quote from: Richard Thomason
Come by our pits this next year. I believe we developed the first IFS front wheel drive car that could be stable with beaucou HP.  rht DannyBoy

I'll come by :D.  If you have any pictures you want to share e-mail them to me.  

c ya, Sum

P.S. Glen I sent you a PM.

jprovo

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 11:55:57 PM »
Sumner,
Great website, thanks for the info.
James

SALTRACER

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 10:45:52 AM »
One of the pictures showed an airbag suspension.  Anybody use one on there car? Is it a good choice for the salt? One would fit nice under my roadster.

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 12:01:05 PM »
Air bags were put on Ron Main's streamliner when it was being rebuilt at Rich Manchen's shop. Seem to work oK, 310 with a flathead, 345 with an EcoTech.

DW

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 12:17:01 PM »
The modified roadster mentioned by Glen was originally built as a Hot Rod project car in the 60's. Started with a cammer Ford I think. I believe the Kugals were running the roadster when I first saw it run in the late 60's/early 70's. Gordon Hoyt removed a Port-a-Jon from the starting line area with the left front tire as I remember it. Then Glenn Miller ran it after his Street Roadster (many owners also) and now the Youngs with a 12 port Jimmy.  This famous car has certainly run the gambit of LSR history. (Hint Hint).......JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline aspera

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 08:13:19 PM »
Blowfish has airbags in the front.