Author Topic: 2000 MPH on land ?  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
2000 MPH on land ?
« on: January 29, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »
Check this out, A man named Waldo Stakes tells Fox News he's building a car to go Mach 3.
Has anyone ever run on the Salt on the other side of the Mountain by the tracks? In the last 20 years.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/01/12/call-him-rocket-man-2000-mph-car-in-works-in-california/?cmpid=cmty_email_Gigya_Call_him_rocket_man:_2%2c000_mph_car_in_the_works_in_California
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline AJR192

Re: 2000 MPH on land ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 11:11:41 PM »
I can tell you from firsthand experience that any salt on the other side of the mountains is a long, long way from the tracks. The U.P. mainline is around 20-30 miles North of Bonneville and the area around there is just nasty stinky alkalai mud. No salt in sight on the rails. Any salt on the North side of the mountains will be hard to access. And does anyone know who owns the land? Private? State? Federal? Railroad? I think the supposedly "good" salt is down around floating mountain but there is no feasible way to get to it. Remember the Donner party? No good roads down there.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:04:11 AM »
Last year we went exploring.  We went straight instead of taking the bend in the road.  A long way out on the east side of Pilot Peak we saw salt.  It is south of Lemay Island and east of the Silver Island Mountains.  The roads to get there are not bad by Oregon standards.  Gravel, washboard, and some rutty sections.  There is a lot of private land between the highway (TL Bar Ranch Road) and the lake.  This might be what is being talked about.   

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:35:44 AM »
I won't dig around in the Forum archives, but something like only a month or two ago I wrote a bit about the meeting that was held at the Shootout a couple years ago discussing the salt that was a long way away from where we're used to racing.  Participants included Mike Akatiff, BLM, I think I remember some Native representatives there, some other racers, and Mike Cook.  It was to discuss the bare possiblities of racing there.

Basics:  Access would be from a good portion of the way back I-80 towards SLC - maybe like the 50-mile marker.  You'd head north across a bunch of flats (alkali and salt and dirt) a big bunch of miles -- what was it, 20 or so?) and cross the tracks (over the crossing that'd have to be built) and then you'd be near to the big salt flats up there.  Permissioins would have to be gained from the various land owners -- BLM, Natives, railroad, whatever. 

Absolutely no comforts of home or community nearby - bring your own fuel and generators and so on.  Way the heck out there, too.  In other words, not likely to be for a big race event, but maybe dandy for single-team efforts or MAYBE the Shootout, where there's a very small number of participants that'd have to go through all of the hassles.

Go find that post and the entire thread.  Later - - -
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com