Author Topic: Containment seat?  (Read 14776 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Containment seat?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »
This has been discussed several times on prep and cleanup when you get home. I use SALT-X before on the underside of my truck, when I get home I put a lawn sprinkler under it and let it spray for several hours. I then let it drip dry and then with a good garden hose nozzle I start at one end and wash to the other on the bottom side 2 0r 3 times. The next day I do a clean up wash again and when dry I spray with SALT-X again. It's a lot of work and the same treatment for the trailer. By the way pull the wheels on truck and trailer to clean the rotors etc. The trailer if you have electric brakes requires a little more work as the magnets etc. need a good cleaning and everything sprayed with WD-40 or some protectant. Make sure the drums are dry when you put back on and the bearings greased. Salt-X is available on the their web site and I use a Hudson garde sprayer to apply.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 12:12:18 AM »
Stan, you just made my head hurt....... :| :| :-D

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 07:45:57 AM »
    A word of caution on the heavy undercoat. It holds the salt water between it and anything consumable. You can't see the damage until it's too late. When I worked for Mercedes Benz, we were notallowed to undercoat the new cars for that reason. They did, however allow us to use a product made by Bilstein that was something like cosmoline type wax. Don't know if that's even available any more with all the EPA crap.
    Doug :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 09:00:59 AM »
Buickguy3

That's why this forum is so valuable. I get to learn things like this before I make a mistake. The other idea was to paint the undercarage of the trailer with a heavy coat of Pro 15 www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/. I have used this stuff on salt water boat trailers and it seems to work well.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »
I guess I should go back and see when this thread went from containment seats to undercoatings.  Naaaa!  Kiwi Sid and myself were talking about this the other day.  I used a rust reformer primer on my undercarage (I copied Bills spelling of the word), then put truck bed liner to it.  The liner stuff came off before my first run.  I reshot it with the Truck and Tractor enamel you can get at your ranch stores, so far it seems to hold real well and sheds the salt.  I heard that the enamel is pretty much the same as POR 15.  Except for the price.   :wink:

Steve   
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »
Thanks, you are correct. I will check on the enamal. Now back to containment seats. When I switched head restraints from a short left to the long one. I threw the old one up on eBay and was surprised at all the Kirkey stuff. Plus my seat tip sold in three days for about 70% of what I paid for it. Pretty good by used race part standards. So back to seats, there may be some usable parts for your base on eBay.
Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Tman

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2012, 05:16:56 PM »
    A word of caution on the heavy undercoat. It holds the salt water between it and anything consumable. You can't see the damage until it's too late. When I worked for Mercedes Benz, we were notallowed to undercoat the new cars for that reason. They did, however allow us to use a product made by Bilstein that was something like cosmoline type wax. Don't know if that's even available any more with all the EPA crap.
    Doug :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

It is still on the market. Any bodyshop jobber should have some form of BODY CAVITY WAX. We also use the same thing in an aresol to coat the inside of high end steel bicycle frames, it really works.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »
I don't read this site every day so I'm goint to regress a bit.

Don't compare a Funny Car cage with a Pro Stock. Funny Cars are all center steer and really closer to fuelers and our roadsters and some lakesters.

My roadster doesn't have a seat as defined. It's 1/4" steel and aluminum panels bolted a deuzed into a center steer cage...

Just my rag on the subject..................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro