Author Topic: Containment seat?  (Read 14795 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: Containment seat?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »
I just went thru this with Kirkey. I was looking at the (really) Cheap, 70/71 Series Containment seat. I called Kirkey to find out the difference, and their tech (Kevin?) suggested their 45 series seat for a LSR application which I bought. Gonna need a shoehorn to get it into the Mitsubishi. I looked at a Used LaJoie, they are extremely proud of their work as evidenced by the price. There is safe, and then there is corporate subsidized Inflated Racing Equipment (IMHO)

Looking at the dimensions of the seats on Kirkey's website, it's still unclear to me whether either the 53 or 45 series seats would meet the 3.A.3 rule for lateral helmet restraint.  Can either of these seats provide for a maximum of 2 inches per side movement, "inclusive of structure deflection, and at a minimum extend to the forward most portion of the helmet" when installed in a Funny Car or Pro-Stock type cage?  I realize that the side supports would probably have to be lengthened in order to extend past the forward most portion of the helmet. 

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »
Where'd the smoke come from?  Or was that the fire suppressant?
Was the hissing after you stopped the fire bottles still going off?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
Either way you go its expensive.  I bought the $200 dollar Kirkey and spent $300 modifying it, but it fits into my comfort and safe zone.  Would have been cheaper if I had a welder that does Aluminum, had to farm out that welding.

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »
My first experience with Full restraint seats was in 07 when back with Ford for the Fusion Fuel Cell program.  Some difficulty in that the fuel cell tray took up so much room in the floor, that the driver was required to recline 30 degrees.
When I came on board, one of my tasks was to source all the safety equipment (duh).  They had already sourced Kirkey, but when I spoke to them they did not make a 30 degree seat, nor were they interested in doing so.
I had some discussions with Butler Built, and they bent over backwards to do exactly what I wanted.  We actually limited side movement to +-1.0" to MY helmet.  It was with a 7 point harness the most comfortable seat I have been in. (and I recline almost the same as my liner).  Should I do another door car I will certainly go back to them.
Really good folks to work with.
Rick

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 12:29:27 PM »
Steve I understand what you did,,,
My 1933 Vicky has a kirkey Seat that we modified, streghthend and added the ISP Stealth Head and Shoulder Supports to,,, so my $200 Seat ended up at just under $600..

For the Stude, I just decided to go Full Containment from the get go and have a Custom made  ISP seat... custom built to me (and using double thick sides and back plates for my weight)..

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »
Article in Circle Track Magazine this month on Butler Built aluminum seats.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 08:26:38 PM »
Stainless:

You are absolutely correct on the fire bottles. $600 plus $100 overnight shipping. But being my first time, I was overly cautious. I have 700 reasons to remember to see fire before pulling handles next time. When it first let go it really sounded like the crankshaft broke so thats why I pulled them. When I got out of the car I looked under the fron expecting to see the oil pan blown appart. Just another expensive racing lesson. 

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »
Stan:

The trans broke away from the bell housing and trans fluid came out of the new trans windows on the headers. The picture is one side the drivers side had a big hole. Matt did a great job of tig welding it back together. It took two days to get the fire bottles and drive shaft. We went to 5 junk yards in SLC looking for a Tremec 5 speed. When we could not find one we decided to weld up the one we had. We went out and made four more runs.

Bill

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 08:49:53 PM »

When we could not find one we decided to weld up the one we had.

Bill

bill,

where did you get the welding done?
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 09:09:02 AM »
Saltwheel:

Matt did the welding of the trans in the hauler. He welded up a lot of stuff for people all Speedweek. The Silver Rod guys brought the press with them. I think they broke a header flange.
The driveshaft I had made at a driveline company in SLC.

I won't bring that big A transporter out again. It was nice but A. its expensive and B. it took 2 months to refurb the trailer to get the salt out of it. 2012 will be my Silverado and an 28' enclosed trailer.

Bill

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 10:09:25 AM »
Good thinking about the truck and the trailer.  Remember to wash the bottom of the truck when you get home, and to clean the trailer inside and out.  We empty the trailer of everything that's not permanently installed and hose down the walls and floor -- a couple of times.  Leave things open for a few days to dry - and the trailer will be a lot nicer for the next event.  And plan on trading/selling the trailer after five or so years since by then the underparts will be all corroded no matter how carefully you've cleaned it.  We're fortunate up here in having a huge amount of snowmobiling, and the riders are used to having nice trailers that they sell cheap after a few years.  We buy the used ones - and sell back to them the one that we've used up.  the are used to seeing salted undersides (from traveling on our winter roads, all of which are salted to melt the ice).

PS  Nancy's shopping for sublimatable beer steins/mugs for you.  Remember that the mug will be white porcelain or ceramic -- not clear glass.  Can't sublimate onto glass.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 10:32:38 AM »
SSS,

Yes I learned the trailer lesson this year. My next trailer will be a basic, pressure treated wood interior, stainless box and work top. I am going to have the floor and 2' of the wall LinExed. Heavy undercost underneith. I will lay down heavy mil plastic liner before I roll my car in for the ride home.

I rolled my car on a tarp up front in the hauler. When the truck driver loaded Kixmiller's truck he slacked a little and decided not to put the tarp under Kix's truck. When the trailer got back to the shop in Tampa there was an inch of salty gel on the aluminum deck. Up front there was some small crystals but nothing that would not clean up. In the back of the hauler was a mess.

Don't go to too much trouble on the beer mugs. I dont drink much beer anymore either. But I will take a set for my beer drinking guest.

PS. I miss the spell checking function.

Bill

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 04:32:43 PM »
I mis da spel chek funion too  :evil:
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 05:22:57 PM »
Miss those spelling tests from grade school, don't you?  Bragging here -- as far as I can remember I got five or six words wrong during my elementary school spelling lessons.  That's five or six in all the years.  Spelling has always been a pretty easy chore for me.

Bob reads most of what's posted on the Forum - maybe he's got some word on the spell check function and also the "latest posts" listing on the home page.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 05:46:30 PM »
Spelchec, spellcheck, spell check, speelecheckz, woerks on my machine.  I believeve you jon, John, Johnn. Juan.  But a typo or too has drifted in lately.  I no your ah beter spealer then mee, butt you're typeing neads werk.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records