Author Topic: tires  (Read 16257 times)

Offline manifest

tires
« on: January 20, 2012, 06:52:52 AM »
Looking at rear tires for our Modified Sports class car and just wondering what some of you high hp guys are running for rear tires?  We already have a 28" GY Frontrunner on the rear for Bonneville use (may end up getting the actual LSR tire) but for Wilmington we will need a drag radial i'm sure.  Looking at the GY and M/T 275/60R15 but just wanted to get opinions before I order anything for our 8" wheels.

Zach

Offline geezer1

Re: tires
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 08:11:42 AM »
Looking at rear tires for our Modified Sports class car and just wondering what some of you high hp guys are running for rear tires?  We already have a 28" GY Frontrunner on the rear for Bonneville use (may end up getting the actual LSR tire) but for Wilmington we will need a drag radial i'm sure.  Looking at the GY and M/T 275/60R15 but just wanted to get opinions before I order anything for our 8" wheels.

Zach

We have been really happy with the M/T radials.

Geo Turner
Geezer Racing
Geezer Racing - (Turner/Herr/Mclellan/Acton/Pranger/Acton/Acton /McDonald/Hascall/Patul)
Trever is in at over 210!!!!!(17 yrs. old) Kyle is in at over 212!!!!! (16 yrs' old)
2 Wins in the Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge in Super Street 2014-2015
5 Different Geezer Drivers set records at Maxton, Loring, and Ohio
We also had the honor to have the fastest Innkeeper in Wilmington Ohio in the Geezer Express
Thank you ECTA and our great LSR Friends! Press On Regardless!!

Offline CTRon

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 08:56:07 AM »
the mickey thompson drag radials are amazing.. i think they might even hook in the rain.... lol but seriously once we put them on the #1946 roadster there was no more tire spin with over 900 hp
maxton 2 club member 205.188mph  A/BFR
loring 2 club member 219.807mph  A/BFR
Wilmington 2 club member 202.702 A/BFR
bonneville 2 club member 225.003 XXF/BGRMR

Offline manifest

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:52:40 AM »
Have either of you ever had any problems with them slipping on the rim or doing anything funny on the top end due to the way they grow at speed?  I remember seeing some of the NHRA Hemi SuperStock cars running radials years ago and they all got a weird woblle at the top end.  Does anyone run wheel screws or beadlocks?

Zach

Offline Underdog

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 11:13:32 AM »
We haven't had any problems except on the wheel dino. No slippage in the rim. No locks,been 210mph

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 11:31:46 AM »
Me too, just don't run no pressure, thats when you'll have problems.  Think street use type pressures.  your results may vary though.
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline gray63

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 05:34:18 PM »
We ran Goodyear Taledega race tires at Maxton in the fall and will be running them again
this year in Ohio. I bought them at Penske Racing in Reading Pa.   BGMS class
Dave

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 11:47:04 AM »
 Just beware with the drag radials if you are going really fast. Some of the real high power cars running 220mph plus in the mile have had tire failures due to their growth and the time they spend at speeds like that in the mile.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »
Just beware with the drag radials if you are going really fast. Some of the real high power cars running 220mph plus in the mile have had tire failures due to their growth and the time they spend at speeds like that in the mile.

Do you know which drag radials and what starting tire pressures ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline t russell

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
we run 28 psi-35.Goodyears and M&H. went to good years to get taller tire.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »
I don't know the pressures but I believe they were Mickey's. The Hinson Corvette crashed because they grew enough to touch the car and come apart. The LMR Camaro I believe had a tire debead. Both were well north of 220mph or so. I also heard that M/T told them not to run them at those speeds for that amount of distance. 1/4 mile is ok but not the mile.
615-210-1605

Offline sean

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 06:01:32 PM »
If the drag radial tire slips on the rim, drag racers have been using Permatex High-tack to glue the tire to the rim. Screws are not recommended by MT, IIRC. I slip them about 1/2" per pass drag racing with no high tack.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
It's not so much that they slip on the rim but the centrifugal forces cause them to grow alot and could potentially make the bead separate from the wheel.
615-210-1605

Offline redcatch

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 11:34:03 AM »
I talked to a Goodyear Rep. at PRI last month and he explained that Drag radials were just what I should run. Hard launches are not a common place thing in LSR stuff. I have about 8 complete sets of Good year and M/T tires that we used in open road racing. I have not felt comfortable using these in a mile event. In my opinion they are good tires but really need a lot of heat in them. They are really good in corners
but I think in a stright line  traction is a problem. It would also require more camber that I would feel right running. I think I will stick with the drag radials. I question them growing . Radials by their nature are much more stable and with steel belts not as prone to grow as a bias ply. Has any one noticed "C" shaped tires at the traps? Getting this old farts Camaro to not spin in first is a on going problem and resulted in short shifting and even leaving in 2nt all last year. Even when Pete reported no wheel spin, the pictures taken from the truck showed different. We were running about 27 PSI cold. We had moved the instant center alot for the last meet. That seem to help. Comments?
Bob Cox
Redcatcher Motorsports

ECTA Record Holder
B/GALT

redcatch32@aol.com

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 12:44:05 PM »
Our instant center is way out front of the truck and it nearly dead hooks leaving the pushtruck at Maxton but we have a real tall 1st gear and weigh near 4000lbs in mile trim. We have been running the M/Ts with no issues but from my understanding they are not recommended for much time over 200mph or so.

I also just came across this on the M/T site..

TIRE USE ON A DYNO
 Mickey Thompson tires which have been subject to use on a Dyno must no longer be used for subsequent, normal service. Use of Mickey Thompson tires on a Dyno will invalidate the tire warranty.
At no time should the following Mickey Thompson tires be used on a Dyno:
   ET Drag
    ET Motorcycle
    Pro Drag Radials
    ET Street
    ET Street Radial
    ET Street Radial II
This is Mickey Thompson DRAG / STREET Technical Bulletin #18.
For more information regarding Mickey Thompson Performance Products ph: 330.928.9092

We try not to use any sticky tire on our dyno because they get chewed up and suck up alot of HP but until now I did not know that it voids the warranty.
615-210-1605