Author Topic: Question about classes.  (Read 7501 times)

Offline Warp9.9

• New folks
Re: Question about classes.
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 07:38:23 PM »
Great information guys I must plead stupid as when I first seen the hump on a race suit I thought it was a safety device so your head would not pop backwards :) As for the rim I only modified the OEM one because there are so few tires to fit the 16 inch rim and most were V rated. I know you can get tires shaved and then run up to 200 mph but my goal was 200 mph class so I figured if I had soem V rated tires shaved and accidently went 201 I would get the boot and be disqualified. I think my chances are better finding Z and ZR rated tires for 18 inch rims anyway. As for the front I can drop down to a 120mm width or get a rear 150mm and run her backwards on the rim. Not sure if they would consider it unsafe I seen they let one Rocket do it at maxton and he almost hit 175 mph.  I think I might have a chance here as I can pull 180 in fourth gear so 200 in fifth should be doable. I also figure the bike will never hold a speed record set up for street as its theoretical top speed will be 239.4  at 9000 rpm pegged. Not sure if I can hold her steady up there but I have had it a little past 200 on the county roads around here. I am sure she will be different once I add a damper or two that Bill is sending me.  Thank God Illinois has a bunch of flat straight roads. and corn/soybean fields :)

Anyway I do plan on stying gas and if the 100 octane unleaded rumor is right it will be just fine. heck I run 93 pump normally. The only reason I add a little octane boost is incase the gas station is ripping people off selling 89 as 93. Not every station around here is above reproach if you know what I mean!!!

Thanks for your input and help. I am looking forward to April. I will be there whether I race or not. If everything goes right with my fourth shoulder surgery and I recover and rehab fast enough I will be racing for sure.

Offline JasonS

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »
I bought my leathers a couple weeks ago. It's a two-piece Alpinestars Carver suit that has a hump, so I hope it wouldn't be illegal if I pull the front fairings off the Ninja to run Modified. On page 74 it states "Forward of the rider is defined as any area from the most forward edge of the motorcycle to the silhouette of the rider as viewed from the side, excluding the hands and arms." With the hump being on the back of the silhouette, I interpreted it to be ok for the Modified and Altered classes. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't the first time and certainly not the last!

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »
Haven't seen the 2013 rules, but a lot of road racing leathers with a "hump" have been used at ECTA meets. Thanks for the SCTA ruling Jon - I knew I saw them not allowed somewhere. Maybe a new thread about safety wear and machine prep for SCTA (I know folks want to go to Bonneville - even if they don't know it yet) would be helpful in making purchasing decisions.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
Section 7-c-2, fairing(leather or cloth)on the back of leathers is allowed only in partial streamlined classes only. oops just noticed this is ECTA thread. the rule is SCTA. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »
the ecta '13 rule changes can be found on their website.

there's a lot of changes for cars.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007