Author Topic: advice on race suit for SCTA regulation  (Read 12958 times)

Offline Steve Walters

Re: advice on race suit for SCTA regulation
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »
 :-o  Not nice Bob, if I knew how to post a picture, you would be able to see why Joe had to farm my custom suit out to Omar's Tent and Awning Co..  Charles keeps mentioning that he is a big guy, I went to the ECTA site , and his pictures to as, Roy D. Mercer would say, (just how big of an old boy are you), Charles manages to elude the snap shots very well.   :cheers:Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline AaronEckhoff

• New folks
    • Dutch Treat Racing
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 12:59:44 PM »
Summit Racing

Size      Men's Large
Layers      Multiple
Driving Suit Style      One-piece
Outerwear Color      Black with white stripe
Outerwear Material      Nomex
Safety Rating      SFI 3.2A/20
Quantity      Sold individually.

Brand    RJS Racing Equipment
$698.99

RJS now offers high-quality driving suits without the added weight, with these lightweight Nomex suits. They feature a multi-layer design with layers of fire-retardant material and an outer layer of Nomex 3 fabric. The layers are channel-quilted together, sewn with Nomex thread, and feature Nomex cuffs and zippers for outstanding protection. These suits are available in both SFI-3-2A/15 and SFI-3-2A/20 ratings and come in a variety of colors.
Aaron Eckhoff

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »
This suit meets SFI spec's so I see no reason not to use a RJS suit. I have used their belts many times over the year and found them an excellant product. Other manufacturers basic suits are not far off this price. This one advertised is a one piece suit which would be less amount than a 2 piece.

To me it's when you start adding "custom" stuff on your suit the price goes up. I wanted my name on my suit I'd write it on some silver tape and stick it on.... :-D

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Tman

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 03:07:37 PM »
Nice price!  Here's what they have:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Safety-Rating/SFI-3-2A-20/?keyword=rjs+fire+suit

Mike

Thats a few bucks (70)less than Wesco sells the same suit for.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Summit Racing!.... whoodathunk!!!!.... SMOKIN' PRICE! I took a pair of 3-2A20 pants as part of a trade for stuff (deal priced at $50.00)... he did not know where the pants originally came from so any hope of finding the matching jacket was not big.... The pants were used but in great shape and they fit the new "bigger" me.... I bought a new (not exactly matching) jacket that cost me $700....

I would say buy a suit from Summit before they realize they can jack up the prices!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Tman

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »
One fortunate benefit to my new hot rod and performance business is that one of my suppiers handles Stroud and Deist among other companies!    :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 08:15:27 PM »
I was about to make a new thread, but if this isn't an intrusion, I'd like to open up the discussion on this one.

I didn't need one for the 130 club or Maxton, but I'll need a fire suit this September to compete in the WOS.  I'd like to get some opinions.

My class is well under the 175 mph rule, so my options are pretty broad.  I can go with a 3.2A/5 with nomex long johns, or I could go 3.2A/10.  Another thread highly recommended going for the 20, but his car was running a lot faster than mine will.

My chief question is whether to go with a one piece suit or a two-piece.  I like the idea of being in the two piece because of the hot waits at the lines at the start, but after that, is there any advantage or disadvantage?

Thanks.

Chris

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 10:10:23 PM »
Go with the 20.  You don't know what you'll be doing a few years from now (BBC?).  It's not that uncomfortable, they're not dated (yet), and I've found if you get in early, everything stabilizes after a few minutes.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »
  Just to add to Stan's advice, If you can afford it go directly to the manufacturer and have them fit you for your suit.  No two people have the same body shape even if your heigth and weight are the same.
  When I ordered my SFI-20 suit fifteen years ago, I went to Deist's shop to have them fit me.
  Unfortunatley for me, and being 6'3" and 240, I didn't think about or explain to the seamstress that when belted in my race car, I sit low with my long (glamorous) legs cramped into a ugly geometric puzzle.
  When I recieved the suit I tryed it on and proudly struted around the house......... every thing A-OK.
  WRONG!  When they straped my in at Speedweek, I realized my future might be best served as volunteering to be a High Soprano for the Vienna Boys Choir.
  Luckly, Deist was able to split the outside leg seams and add two inches from ankle on up and make my drive a little more comfortable (if one considers comfort to being tightly restrained in a small closet, unable to move in any direction, with very little if any periferal vision, sweating like a slave in the cotton fields, and with  enough adrenalin flowing to rotate the earth).
  One more thing I did, was not only have my name embroidered on the front pocket area (if there was one) and right below it listing my Blood Type.                       Bob
Bob Drury

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »
  (if one considers comfort to being tightly restrained in a small closet, unable to move in any direction, with very little if any peripheral vision, sweating like a slave in the cotton fields, and with  enough adrenalin flowing to rotate the earth).

Reminded me of my first pass in a Roadster on a Dry lake... thanks for the memory, I think... :-D
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 12:19:33 PM »
If you are choosing to have a custom made suit and it will be a 20....consider having an extra length added to the back of the jacket. (about 6-8") The first time I saw one made like this was on Kenny Bernstein and I always thought it was a great idea to add extra there as most fires come from around the back. Never had a custom one done so I still don't have it.....Good Luck........
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 01:00:33 AM »
I would recommend a two piece suit, that way you can have just the pants on and when you are 4 cars from the start, put your top on and get ready to race.  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »
2 piece with a bit of extra space in the chest and get a cool shirt( nomex too) with portable (or in car if you want- I have been doing that for several years now) ice chest. It is a life saver when in line. Cool as a cucumber! 8-)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019