Author Topic: Wilmington Recon Mission  (Read 2429 times)

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
Wilmington Recon Mission
« on: January 16, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »
The wife and I made a Reconnaissance mission on Wilmington. I've been there before but only to the downtown area.

As expected, good access roads. I suspect our Southern Visitors will be coming in on SR 73 from Interstate 71 North, takes you right to Airborne Road which is where the gate access is. The Hotels and all other amenities are off of Rombach Road, or SR 22/SR3 which is the exit before Airborne Road. Everything is real close.

The Wilmington Inn is the furthest from the site by like a mile so that makes it 3 1/2 miles. The Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn which nearly share a parking lot are next at 2 1/2 miles. There is also a Baymont Inn which looks to be out on SR 73, you can see the sign from the HIE. The Walmart is on the way to the Track from all the Hotels unless you go the long way around, the BP on the way has Diesel.

Lots of places to eat, Damons is next door to the Wilmington Inn, Buffalo Wild Wings is by the HIE and Hampton, then there is everything else in between, all the fast food joints are represented along with a local Pizza place.

There are 2 Autozone parts stores in town. Also the weather reported from Wilmington NOAA is practically The long shutdown Area, we drove past the office and radar on the way around the Airpark.

That's all for now, any special requests?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:25:35 AM by LSR Mike »
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wilmington Recon Mission
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »
Sounds like it is very racer friendly  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline garrell patterson

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »
Great and useful info, a few days ago I Googled "average monthly temperature and rainfall for Wilmington, Ohio. It  had a chart and a graph both and it looks like April is maybe the driest month and temps could be 60's in daytime, hope so anyway. Like everyone I can hardly wait to make my first pass down that smooth, slightly down hill track.

Garrell Patterson
garrell patterson

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »
And another spammer has bit the dust.  If you didn't see it overnight -- you didn't miss much.  Thanks, Mr. Timney, for pointing it out.  I probably would have found it in my daily sweep, but a notice always is good.  Thanks again.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com