Author Topic: Clutch housing  (Read 5558 times)

Offline JoeBlystfk

• Bonneville 2012 City of Burbank Streamliner 60 years
Clutch housing
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »
Since we are looking thru the rule book today, anyone have an idea about installing a "scattershield" or SFI type blanket on a flathead where the housing is part of the block. The situation is compounded by the fact that the motor plate is in between the transmission housing and the back of the block. Do we need to cover both sides or just the driver's compartment side ?

Offline RichFox

Re: Clutch housing
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:32:04 PM »
The real answer will have to come from the SCTA board. But I believe the scatter shield needs to be in the plane of the flywheel. Which should be foward of your motor plate. Now, how much do you like your feet?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
You'll need 360 degrees.  A blanket requires special permission, and while I did get the thumb's up for it on my application, you'll have to come up with some pretty solid arguments.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 08:50:59 PM »
The rule book states

"Flywheel shall be SFI specification..."

That it doesn't say "certified" tells you something.

There are plenty of ways to make an additional shield that fits over everything, it can be mocked up in cardboard or masonite and then replicated in steel.

There ain't room for a cigarette paper in that area of our car so I made ours out of 1/4 inch plate as a close fit over the bell-housing, it's 360 degrees and looking at the results of our last runs it nearly got a work out but the pieces of a shattered flywheel would have to make their way through another inch of combined plate in any direction other than down to escape so I don't think the scrutineers had too much trouble justifying it's approval ( here in Oz) .

Correct me if I'm wrong folks.......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:48:02 PM »
We built a two piece 1/4" thick one 40 years ago for an early Flathead Ford.Built of flat pieces welded both asides bu certified welder. Should't be any harder now.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »
We built a two piece 1/4" thick one 40 years ago for an early Flathead Ford.Built of flat pieces welded both asides bu certified welder. Should't be any harder now.

we did the same thing on our model B.  two piece assembly made from 1/4" thick steel that bolts to the integral housing on the back of the block.  i had the chance to test it years ago when i exploded a clutch/flywheel.  i still have all 10 toes so it must work pretty well. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 01:44:28 AM »
This isn't a "Rules" question (I don't think block plates are required), but on this subject of flathead scattershields:
Has anyone figured a way to incorporate a block plate between the flywheel and the block-proper?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline fastman614

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 05:16:42 AM »
For our Dodge NASCAR R5P7 engine, there is NO available scattershield..... NASCAR does NOT require the use of a scattershield if using a small diameter Tilton or the like, clutch - they use a magnesium bellhousing - and NOTHING ELSE... we rolled up a piece of 3/8" X 6" wide flat bar into a full circle, welded it to several mounting lugs outside of the stock bellhousing and it meets the letter of the SCTA rule....

a little side issue on this point is fuel lines and oil lines in the proximity of the flywheel plane.... and the rule covering this topic specifically states these two choices - run the lines outside of the frame rail(s) or through pieces of pipe.... some inspectors look at this as being the ONLY acceptable methods..... the rules called for a 1/4" thick scattershield - we went to 3/8" thick..... 50% THICKER..... but NO, NO, NO!!!!! .... we HAD TO INSTALL YET more FUEL AND OIL LINE SHIELDING!!!!!! the thickness of the frame, then?..... I bolted another pirce of 1/8" thick steel into the inside of the 3/8" thick rolled shield..... ALL FOR THE PUTPOSE OF CONTAINING AN EXPLOSION OF A CLUTCH THAT NASCAR SAYS DOES NOT BLOW UP!.....Seniot tech people, later on, told me that it was NOT necessary due to NASCAR's exerience with the clutches NOT blowing up and the fact that a 3/8" thick shield fit the intent of the additional shielding in the flywheel plane area....

just so you know.....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »
I've never had a block plate in 37 years of running GMC's....Good Luck..JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro