Author Topic: Sling  (Read 4436 times)

Offline JoeBlystfk

• Bonneville 2012 City of Burbank Streamliner 60 years
Sling
« on: January 15, 2012, 01:31:14 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but in reading the rule I see reference to a "sling" in regards to the trailing arms that locate the torque tube type driveline. What is a "sling" ? Would this be some sort of lanyard or cable to keep the trailing arm from falling down if the rod end failed ?

Offline jl222

Re: Sling
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 02:30:59 PM »
  Yes...on our bottom 4 link there is a bracket [ a 3/4'' long tube slipped over 4 link bar with another bracket fabricated on top with hole for small cable and braced down to tube for strength] cable runs through hole and around bolt located
in one of the unused 4 link bracket holes and looped back to other end of cable and bolted with cable bolt.]  This is a fabricated one piece design but basic design could be fabricated by welding. Cable needs to be attached to frame.

I miss Little Abner, one race crew I know were called ''the '' Niki Hoki Boys'' :-D

JL222

P.S. if the keyboard just had a key to hold and draw with the mouse 8-)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 02:37:36 PM by jl222 »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »
Like JL222, I use a a small(1/8) cable. I welded a small tab with a hole in it to the bottom 4 link bar. I attached one end of the cable to the frame, ran it through the hole in the tab, then attached the other end to the frame. The 4 link is now in a 'sling' and if the heim were to break, the 4 link could not hit and dig into the ground.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 08:27:26 PM »
Are you sure 1/8" is strong enough? My rulebook, section 3.S, page 37 calls out a minimum of 1/4" in all places in paragraph 2.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »
Dan, you are correct!

Thanks for pointing that out! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 11:41:09 PM »
Look at the tail gate cables on different trucks most of them are 1/4" cable, make sure you don't figure in the plastic cover as part of the 1/4".  The ends are silver braised into the cable for a strong connection, and they are the perfect lenght for this application.

Note what truck and year, then get them from a parts store, I don't advocate stealing them from the truck.  The mayor of East Wendover makes a killing on these every year along with metal tire valve caps, and inertial shut of switches at his parts store. 

Don't use the cables from a Nissan truck they could be damaged from landing airliners, snowboarding of mountain tops, and pulling C vans up out of the canyon.  Oh and pushing dune buggies over dunes from a dead stop.   :-D

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:07:09 AM »
Just go to your freindly neighborhood RV parts store and order pre-made 1/4" cables in assorted lenghts. They are tow bar and bracket accessoies. They are even nylon coated.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »
Steve--Stop watching so much TV and get back out in the Shop.....I hear The Banana calling.... :-D :-D 

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 01:04:57 AM »
Just go to your freindly neighborhood RV parts store and order pre-made 1/4" cables in assorted lenghts. They are tow bar and bracket accessoies. They are even nylon coated.
I see by your new avatar you bought that rear engine car from Cooks!

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
I now no why the Fairlane is on E Bay.  Can I still come and gloat if I become the fastest fairland Brian?   :-D

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:53:48 AM »
 :-D
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685