Author Topic: Website News  (Read 5344 times)

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
Website News
« on: January 14, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »
A topic for the latest status of this 'n that....

Forum Latest Posts:  There really isn't any plugin that will work with the version of our main site *and* the version of the Forum.  Yes, there was one before, but after the upgrade, that won't work.  We bought a plugin that will work with the next version of the Forum, and we intend to install that when we can.  Right now, I'd like to let the dust settle a bit before upgrading the forum further.  Stay tuned....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:09:10 AM by bobc »
Web Elf

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: Website News
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:39:48 AM »
No problem best to let things settle out for a while so you know you have a stable system.

the "Show unread posts since last visit." at the top of the page works perfectly and accomplishes the same thing for all practical purposes.

Larry

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:37:09 PM »
I agree with Hot Rod. That is where I go each time I visit. Spell check? Used to be at the bottom of the new post box. Where can I find it?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 01:19:33 PM »
Just right click on the underlined word Dan and magic happens!!!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »
I must be spelling ok then. No underlined words here.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 12:22:43 AM »
none here either, I guess I never misspelll any wordse
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 12:29:32 AM »
none here either, I guess I never misspelll any wordse

Internet Explorer is not smart enough to do spell check but Firefox does, and I suspect chrome does.

Larry

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 03:08:37 AM »
It's a MAC that's doing the trick for me. The only reason I have it is that IE wouldn't let me into the chat room so I decided to go the different route. My PC's work well for some things and the MAC has its strong points. I haven't tried Firefox and Chrome for the spell check but I know they solved the chat room problems. It reminds me of when I switched from a Commodore 64 to an 8086 computer. It turned out that everything that Commodore called a feature was in actual fact a crutch. IE definitely operates in somewhat the same manner as Commodore.  :evil: :evil: :evil:

Pete

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 10:09:43 AM »
I'm in chrome and spellin chekker is working, just like in FireFox.  It looks like spellcheck is going to be a browser-based thing until a good plugin comes along.  I tried to find one, but the best I can find is one that goes out to a different server and puts ads up.

I never paid attention to the spellcheck on the old site... I wish I had.  But I can't find any old plugin that does spellcheck.  And the built-in spellcheck doesn't work because the server doesn't have the right library, and they won't install it just for us.
Web Elf

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 10:26:16 PM »
Just a test post.... again.....
Web Elf

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 10:19:15 AM »
My turn, okay?  A couple of times recently I've been unable to post something including a photo.  I type it and attach the photo like I'm supposed to do -- but when I click the "post" button I get a message telling me that the "filename" is already used", and asking me to rename it and try again.  Bob doesn't have a good idea of what's going on since there's no way to do anything about a file name, and if -- just if  --  the machine is referring to the file name of the photo itself - - - well, it'd be a heck of a coincidence for the file name to be a re-used one a coupla times in a row.  I'll try again later -- gotta go to the radio station now to record a set of commercials for Kudos Laser and Sublimation.

Let us know if you're having photo posting troubles, please.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:37:18 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »
The RR track across the Bolivian salt pan photo I posted last week, and last year, gave me the same message.  Renamed it and went right though.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 10:07:24 PM »
I've seen that happen, when trying to 'reuse' a picture I posted earlier... and also, when the file name is like it came out of the camera.  Some cameras do reuse names, like Dsc00048.jpg, the 'Dsc' (or 'P', or whatever...) is always there, and the number is just a sequence.  If that sequence gets reset, the name gets reused.
Web Elf

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 02:24:18 PM »
I've also seen that happen, and the solution is to rename the image file slightly by for example adding a letter to the end of the file name.

Dsc00048.jpg would become Dsc00048a.jpg or Dsc00048_1.jpg for example.

As mentioned the digital cameras reuse the sequence numbers. Depending on the camera settings some of them reset every time you change the batteries or if they run up to their maximum sequence number or every time you reformat the memory card. A result of that is the image numbers most likely to cause problems are the low number images with sequence numbers below 100.

Also here on this forum sometimes if an image fails to load for some reason as you are trying to upload it (ie too big) sometimes the forum will remember that image number and not let you re-upload a resized version of the same image. I don't remember the exact circumstance but I have had that happen a couple times in the past. Again the solution was to rename the image file slightly.

Larry

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 06:17:29 PM »
Larry:  Thanks for the second comment.  I've had that incident too many times.  As for the first part -- yep, it's happened to me sometimes, but the other day (when it happened twice in a row) it was two different incidents, two different photos, and (in my opinion, knowing all the rest of the particulars) pretty unlikely to have happened by "re-used" numbers.  But since it did happen I should use Occam's Razor and move along to "Okay, I'll rename them nest time" and let it go.

By the way, when I get the "too big" message I usually think "Screw it" and just put the photo/image on the photo sharing site and be done with it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com