Author Topic: 93 Twin Turbo BBC A/BGT Corvette  (Read 27196 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: 93 Twin Turbo BBC A/BGT Corvette
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 01:36:17 PM »
Does a throttle loop help anything if you have a cable actuated throttle?

Does on both of ours....  if the return springs broke they want you to be able to close it....

What type of cables are you using?

For clarification, many vehicles running under SCTA rules use throttle cables. Some use Morse type cables which are push-pull type cables. Others use OE factory type "pull" cables such as used on many late model cars. In the later example a throttle toe strap my not work very well but to make a rule excluding these types of cables while requiring others to you a positive return system would cloud the rule even further. Hense the requirment to use a toe strap, positive throttle return, etc.

This rule will become even more interesting with "fly by wire" systems.   :evil:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 02:05:40 PM »
Thank you. :-)
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 03:14:20 PM »

This rule will become even more interesting with "fly by wire" systems.   :evil:

It should be real interesting. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 04:05:53 PM »
[/quote]
It should be real interesting. Tony
[/quote]
Funny about that.

The Fuel cell Fusion was fly by wire, using a powerstroke diesel throttle pedal assembly.  The Techs and engineers at both Ford and Roush just couldn't get over my insistence that they just "DO IT" for the toe strap.
And even worse when I made them put two return springs on the pedal, because we didn't have a throttle shaft.

Shit, we didn't even have a stinkin engine!

Pre inspection in Dearborn, and inspection on the salt went very smoothly.  NO GIGS.
Sometimes its just easier to "do it" so the inspector can just check it off. 
We are all such dinosaurs that I'll bet that requirement won't go away for a long time.  :-d
Rick

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 05:35:35 PM »
  Rick, I think you  summed it up.  Once in a while we all need to remember that not all of our inspecters are paid professional's who make big buck's, and who spend several days in constant heat while taking even more constant heat from those of us who have somehow missinterpreted the rule book.
  When I go thru tech, I ask ALL of my crewpeople to stand back and let ME answer any and all questions from the inspectors.
  Last year I had a couple of guys who were plenty p.o'ed. while teching in, and whether they were right or wrong, they certainly did not help the situation.
  As I said to one of them: "how would you like to stand out in the inspection tent's knowing that most entrant's think that the inspectors are out to find you illegal or unsafe to run?
  It has to be one of the worst job's on the Salt, and I REALLY do appreciate how hard they work, and how much sh*t they have to take while doing a thankless job.             Bob
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:52:09 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »
When I built my modified roadster I found it very beneficial to down load the inspection form from the SCTA web site. This is THE form that the tech crew uses to inspect your vehicle for compliance. If you go over this list before you show up at the salt you will most likely breeze through the inspection process.

Remember, the SCTA wants you to race, that's why they're there, the tech guys just want to make sure you can keep doing it.........
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 11:37:44 PM »
Thanks, Bob....I appreciate your comments more than you know. Mike L...Are you contemplating waering an Orange Hat at some point? I think you would be  a good fit....

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 12:07:44 AM »
I already do at El Mirage, part time.  :-)  Thanks!
Michael LeFevers

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
Well said Bob.

Last year I tech'd in for the first time. I went through the check list several times before we left Florida. However, when I got to tech there were a couple of things, one was an inertia switch which was easy. The second was my fuel tank vent. While it looked good and had the raw materials to function, one of the tech guys pointed out that a case in which it would not. In the event I rolled up on my rightside door and stayed there versus on my roof, fuel would have siphined out of the vent. The inspector showed me a quick and easy way to remedy the issue. We ran back to the trailer, dug through our box of used AN fittings and rigged up an extension. The inspector was happy to ride down to our trailer and take a look at our update. He signed our book and we are off to do our license runs. I looked at that fuel tank vent many times and it seemed fine for a roof rollover, but never occured to me the car may settle on the passenger's door. Like this forum, I look at the inspectors as an educated evaluation of the safety of my race car.

I for one am grateful, I have a safer car where ever I race because of my SCTA Inspector. I also understand people get stressed out during tech, we all have spent a lot of time and money to get there. Like Bob said, the volunteer inspector is there to make sure you can comeback and race year after year.

Thanks again to all of the volunteers,

See you in a few weeks.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2012, 11:23:09 PM »
Will we need to replace side and rear glass in this car with lexan for it to be legal for Bonneville?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2012, 11:28:01 PM »
Is there anything we are legally allowed to do to add aerodynamic stability aside from adding nose weight?
Maybe extend roof rails down the back glass.
The part of the roof rails that are in front of the center if gravity actually detract from the aero stability so maybe I should trim that part as low as rules allow?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 11:12:12 AM »
Yes, no, yes.   :cheers:
Michael LeFevers

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »
Don'cha hate those long winded answers!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
Mike, are you saying that we are allowed to extend the roof rails down the back glass?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »
Mike, are you saying that we are allowed to extend the roof rails down the back glass?

Yes, Page 44 2012 rule book. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”