Author Topic: With 175 any estimates on turn around time  (Read 7385 times)

Offline wfojohn

Re: With 175 any estimates on turn around time
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 09:00:11 AM »
I missed the 175 limit also but its right there for all to see. Looks like a 2 run day will be about it, 2 runs at El Mirage was about all that was possible with less entries because of the dust and the 200+ lane cars usually require a bit more time at the starting line and sometimes to clear the track.

Vowed I would never subject my equipment, bikes, trailer and tow vehichle to the salt again but with several tracks and more days and the present cost of entry it might be something to reconsider. Hopefully Wilmington will settle down after a couple meets and more runs might be possible, its certainly a lot closer for us than Maxton or the salt. Our small bikes will be 90% new frame and engine wise so we will have to try our best on prep to get them sorted as soon as possibe.

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »
Backing down 1 License catagory on the 1st pass will limit the number of flying runs you make.  We were spoiled with large numbers of passes at Maxton.  I remember how painfully slow a large field at Loring on Saturday was last year.  All you can do is be ready when it is your turn and clear the course as quickly and safely as you can.  Go over your junk really well as putting down oil will be a killer.  It's a new day and it is what it is, so make the best of each pass and learn to be patient.  I'm going to have to.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline garrell patterson

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »
Remember, it was said at Wilmington that the track was wide enough for two lanes and in the event of an oil down it would only take minutes to switch over. That would avoid a loss of a couple of hours or shorten a day like at Maxton in Oct.

The Cajun Kid sent a private message wondering why I don't have a picture of my truck posted, with the reason being I simply can not figure out how! As well as my recovery has gone there are lots of things that I am still learning. There are four pictures of the hotrods I have in my shop now in a file somewhere in this amazing piece of electronics I am using, but I have no idea how to retrieve or post them. I will get a family member to help me when they have time.

I make a point of learning one new thing each day
Garrell
garrell patterson

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
It's great there are two lanes and easy to move,but in the event of a oil down the clean up cannot be done while vehicles are running in the other lane. So everyone understands that there will be delays at times.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »
Garrell (and everyone else, too):

In the meantime, while you try to get photos posted -- you're welcome to send 'em to me and I'll get them up here some way or another.  Email (not PM) them to my regular ol' address.  You're welcome.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

LittleLiner

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 05:10:04 PM »
I am aiming at attending the July event.  Hopefully any minor issues will be history by then.

May I suggest one way all competitors should consider to help with the event.  If you don't have time to volunteer yourself, you might think about bringing someone with you that could volunteer (significant other, adult son or daughter, neighbor, friend, parole officer, etc).  Extra people helping at the sign-in gate, extra people to spell volunteers while they grab a bite to eat or use the porta potty, additional assistant starters to check that drivers/riders are ready before called to the line, volunteers to be go-fors to help with whatever . . .

I suspect that the delays (or potential delays) in the staging lanes are just one spot where things could backup.  Remember, at the April 2012 event EVERY class record starts at zero mph.  So every first pass is a record.  That means everybody will be going to impound to have their record registered.  If you don't care about getting a record, or you don't need to have your licence adjusted, just pass by impound/registration and get back in line . .

Also, if the entry list approaches 175 that means that 175 cars/bikes must go through tech.  So, get there early Friday to assure that you are done with tech on Friday and not waiting to be teched on Saturday when everyone else is racing.  And speaking of Friday . . while you are there pitch in with track set-up.  Help put out the cones, set up the awnings, or do anything that the Timney/Turk team need done.

As others have said, the best way to make the show run smoothly is, as a competitor, be sure your machine is 100% ready before going to the line.  Be sure you are 100% ready as well, - helmet fastened, gloves on, etc.  Then be sure to exit as soon as you safely can.  Having worked some in shutdown at Maxton I can tell you that the 'safely exit' part is more important than the 'guickly' part.  If you aren't slowed enough to make short shutdown it will take a lot longer to rescue you from a wreck than it takes for you to safely go long . . .

An if the staging lines are long take advantage of that and introduce yourself to those in line around you.  Find out who they are, where they are from, what they are racing etc, etc,  LSR events are about more than just running laps . . .

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »
Very well said and I try to practise every thing you suggest. It was dumb of me ro make the statement about the two lanes but  I read it somewhere in the Ohio info at the web site maybe so some one else thought it would work. I would not want to be on the track doing the oil dry twist when someone came by fifty feet away at 160 mph.

Garrell
garrell patterson

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 05:38:05 PM »
Hey, I remember it was discussed that there would not be a cleanup in the event of an oil down, the timing lightes would be moved over to the other lane and racing resumed. Maybe I just jumped the gun about being so dumb, but I am still very forgetful.

Garrell
garrell patterson

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »
Well put Art. Please, please go long if you think you might need to but remember GO is the active verb. My limited take on the two lane system is that no clean-up will be neccesary during racing sessions until both lanes are oiled, then the most easily refurbished track can be cleaned. If you want faster turn-around times, mobilize everybody you know -- crew, family, spectators to come out and shuffle. Nothing is going to change that the longest turn-around time is between leaving the gates and getting to the start line at the next meet.

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 03:02:39 AM »
SSS, I am going to take you up on the offer to email pics to you and you post. They are in a folder and I can't find them, very frustrating and I didn't use to have these type problems, but this weekend when two daughters and their husbands are here to eat I will call in a few markers.

Thanks again, Garrell
garrell patterson

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »
Send 'em along and I'll fiddle with them.  The bigger the photo file - the better the resolution - - - but the longer it'll take for anyone to see them in full size.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »
Forthcoming, thanks
garrell patterson