Author Topic: 63 Fairlane CBGC Rebuild  (Read 19608 times)

Offline wilcox garage

Re: 63 Fairlane CBGC Rebuild
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 08:28:28 AM »
Well with a little work the car will still be legal in GC , the rule states frame nothing about suspension ! :-D more pics to come!!
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline fastman614

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 04:59:34 AM »
Well I decided to make some time! This is a Smith Race Craft tube front clip for a early camaro Firebird that was donated for the project .

That frame section is nice.... they (and others as well) work really well on Firebirds/Camaros and should probably work okay on the Fairlane although I think it may be a little on the wide side.

If you go ahead with using it, and still want to run gas coupe, cut out the frame sections of the Ford unibody and "graft them in at the stock locations. That way, your "stock" frame will still be there.

As for any negativity regarding aerodynamics.... IT'S CLASSIC CATEGORY!.... Camaros, Firebirds, Vegas, Monzas, Mustangs, Studebakers etc were ALL in the .4 and up range for Cd..... the only real ultimate difference would be the frontal areas of the various cars.... We had naysayers who prophesied that our '74 Chevy Vega, with 1000hp, would not go faster than 242 MPH (their desktop dyno program said so) .... and that our lakester (with 840 hp) would NEVER go faster than 268 MPH (same desktop dyno program).... To date, the Vega has gone a one way fastest of 258 MPH and the lakester has gone 282 mph.....

Done let any of the armchair experts on this site grind you down!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 04:28:53 PM »
  Thanks for the words of encouragement fastman . I sent a email to Bob Sykes Jr ( coupe & sedan category chair ), he steered me in the right direction to still fit the class. 
  Today the engine came out of the Roadster and is starting the freshening process . After our last couple passes at Speedweek the leakdown stopped improving and the oil filter was almost spotless . I drove it a few hundred miles on the street and everything was happy so hopefully just the normal wear parts for the freshen!
Mark Wilcox,

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 09:48:54 AM »
Progress on the Fairlane is moving forward . The front suspension upgrade is almost complete , the car is a roller again! The oil pan  off the Roadster didn't come close to fitting so we are modifying a pan I had to hold three gallons.

Mark Wilcox,

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 10:21:52 AM »
With a broken camera its tough to keep up with progress. The engine is done and in the car , intercooler is mounted , intake ducting is complete , the hood is out getting some bubbles to clear the Procharger and carb hat , now it just needs a little wiring , and plumbing to be ready for the dyno on Wed ! We have the car up to about 4500 lbs so far and are hoping to get another 1000 in it , its a lot easier to find spots for weight in this compared to a Roadster!
Mark Wilcox,

Offline tauruck

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2012, 12:49:33 AM »
This is a car that has had a few engine gremlins preventing a voyage to the salt. Lucky for me because I have had a great crew member / fabricatior helping with the Roadster . Well now its the Fairlane's turn. In the next few months  we are going to be making room for a Procharged small block Chev. Our first step will be cutting out all the stock suspension and adding a Smith Racecraft tubular front clip . I will post pictures as soon as the cutting begins!  
How come you want to run a Chevy motor in a beautiful car like that?. Aren't the Ford powerplants good enough?. Throw the old motor my way anytime. :cheers: Cool build by the way.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »
Beautiful car, and there's a lot of great work in there.  The distinction between classes seems to be one of the finer points of this sport, in terms of which changes put you into which class.

I'm certainly no expert on application of the rules, but I saw that you intended to make the front end into 1 piece.  I know that in Gas Coupe, 1 pc front ends are not allowed, but not sure if that applies to stock sheetmetal that has all been welded together to make 1 piece.  It's just one of those details that it's better to research and get a ruling on now, as opposed to later.

Steve

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers