Author Topic: 63 Fairlane CBGC Rebuild  (Read 19605 times)

Offline wilcox garage

63 Fairlane CBGC Rebuild
« on: January 03, 2012, 11:52:07 PM »
This is a car that has had a few engine gremlins preventing a voyage to the salt. Lucky for me because I have had a great crew member / fabricatior helping with the Roadster . Well now its the Fairlane's turn. In the next few months  we are going to be making room for a Procharged small block Chev. Our first step will be cutting out all the stock suspension and adding a Smith Racecraft tubular front clip . I will post pictures as soon as the cutting begins!  
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline Peter Jack

Re: 63 Fairlane CBGC Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 01:04:49 AM »
Just an observation after looking at your race cars, aerodynamics don't seem to be high on your list of priorities.  :-D :-D :evil:

Pete

Offline John (Maryland)

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 07:33:31 AM »
Pete.

Why would you make unwelcome comments about 63 when you do not have a clue about the owner’s aerodynamic priorities, class planning, or cost limitations?  Many people cannot even dream about a little beauty like the 63. 

I do not know you and do not know whether you have ever built a car, but if you have, you should know one has to start with where they are and do the best they can with what they have.

Suggest you try to be more encouraging especially regarding comments open to new people that may want to post. 
It is hard enough to build one of these beasts without useless criticisms; helpful comments are always appreciated by LSR folks.

John.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 08:21:18 AM »
Wow John, Let the beatings begin. Nice looking Fairlane. I only wish I knew about LSR 25 yrs. ago when I had a '63 Fairlane 500. I just love that style, don't know way.  :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »
  At Peter, no offence taken , I read this quote from Enso Ferrari " aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines" .  :-D :-D Honestly I started with a Roadster because they are sooooo cool , and the goals that were set at the beginning of the build I felt were obtainable. We feel the goals we have set for the Fairlane also are obtainable , but it it was easy everyone would do it!
  Mark
Mark Wilcox,

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 09:34:27 AM »
John... did you see the  :-D   :-D in PJs comment.... that means it is not criticism... it is said in jest
We all know if you are planning a classic class or a roadster that aero is not a consideration on your list...

Mark, wow, cool car, sure you want to pull that big wind jammer off the front, may screw up that classic look and smooth our your aero a little...  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline basher13

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »
Glad you started a thread on this one Mark. I get the direction of the new front end, I checked out the web site last night, nice stuff. Just wondering how he had set up the front end that's under it now.
For those that don't know, this is the same crew that put a stock bodied Firebird into the 7s on a skinny 275 tire...Aero is over rated!
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »
Thanks, yes losing the 4-71 does take away from the look , but we are getting the Procharger thing kind of figured out!
Mark Wilcox,

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 10:56:56 AM »
Pete.

Why would you make unwelcome comments about 63 when you do not have a clue about the owner’s aerodynamic priorities, class planning, or cost limitations?  Many people cannot even dream about a little beauty like the 63. 

I do not know you and do not know whether you have ever built a car, but if you have, you should know one has to start with where they are and do the best they can with what they have.

Suggest you try to be more encouraging especially regarding comments open to new people that may want to post. 
It is hard enough to build one of these beasts without useless criticisms; helpful comments are always appreciated by LSR folks.

John.

Lighten up Francis :roll: :-D

Wilcox, you have an issue with keeping engine parts INSIDE the body!?!?!?! Looks great!

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 11:20:36 AM »
Hey Basher , it had a stock front suspension with trimmed shock towers. The Buick V-6 fit ok but it was hard to do maintenance. Hopefully with the tube front things will be a lot easier! T-man yes we do have trouble keeping things contained , with the Procharger hopefully we only need a small blister over the carb hat.
Mark Wilcox,

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
Hey Mr. Wilcox, thanks for the Wilcox Garage T-shirt last summer.  It means a lot AND it's a dandy shirt for an old gearhead.  Nice looking Fairlane, too.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »
Hey Mr. Wilcox, thanks for the Wilcox Garage T-shirt last summer.  It means a lot AND it's a dandy shirt for an old gearhead.  Nice looking Fairlane, too.
Thanks, glad we could help!
Mark Wilcox,

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 07:38:54 PM »
Pete.

Why would you make unwelcome comments about 63 when you do not have a clue about the owner’s aerodynamic priorities, class planning, or cost limitations?  Many people cannot even dream about a little beauty like the 63.  

John.

John, if you looked at the smileys after what I said and you realized that these guys have run a pretty successful roadster before, you'd realize that what I said was said in jest. If you look around the board or ask Cajun Kid, Tman, etc. you'll find that I contribute rather regularly with encouraging comments and constructive advise. This is drawn from a lot of experience in both fabrication and racing.

Actually take a look at post #6 in your own build diary. Relax a little and try to take things in the manner in which they are intended. Smileys do give context.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:46:16 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »
Pete, not tring to be a butt, but I read all of the post . And I got what you posted, smilies and all.Too soon after new years for some folks. that Bad Fairlane would fit comp. coup. in the worst way. I love it as I had one
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 12:20:53 AM »
hey wilcox........has kasey kahne been by to check on your build? just wondering since you're from the same town. nice looking ride. look forward to watching your build.. :cheers:
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.