Author Topic: Radiator Question  (Read 3604 times)

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
Radiator Question
« on: December 31, 2011, 11:36:27 AM »
I am thinking about building a radiator that is double pass, but only 7" high. That means it's really only about 9 or 10 rows for the water to go through. Does anybody know if that would be too much pressure loss/resistance to work properly? 

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Radiator Question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:53:17 PM »
The things that you need to consider are: Water pump flow rate, radiator tube size, amount of heat to be rejected, and air flow through the radiator. The advantage of going to a double pass radiator is getting the water velocity through the radiator high enough to ensure turbulent water flow. On a small radiator like you are thinking about, unless you have a very small water pump, there probably is not an advantage of going to double pass.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 03:49:20 PM »
Thanks.
Well, in my case the advantage is packaging. It would be convenient to have the inlet and outlet on one end, and just the header tank on the other. I'm not smart enough to know the answers to the questions you posed.

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:50:37 PM »
Ok, I compared the sizes of what I want to the stock arrangement and it looks like I would have 2-1/2 times the the resistance. What kind of problems would that create?

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 09:34:01 PM »
Can you do a simple flow test? Do you know what you need for flow? I sort of like the idea for getting both inlet and outlet on the same side? You will probably lose some efficiency though.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Jon

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 12:20:23 AM »
There is an Aus company that does a similar thing doing 3 passes acros the radiato, they are generally pretty helpful, members of DLRA.

http://www.aussiedesertcooler.com.au/triple_flow.htm

Cheers
Jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 04:26:41 PM »
I had come across this small water to air cooler while back, a buddy had said it was from a Chevy cobalt SS but I am really not too sure. It is all aluminum, double pass, about 8" tall and 24" long. Not the best pictures but you kinda get the idea. I decided to go in a different direction so if it is something that could help you out let me know. 
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 10:32:01 AM »
Thanks, but I have decided it to it somewhat traditionally. :wink: