Author Topic: SFI: driveline stuff  (Read 5727 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

SFI: driveline stuff
« on: December 30, 2011, 01:43:31 AM »
re: blown alcohol lakester

It appears to me that SFI 1.5 would apply to a 3-disc Crowerglide clutch, and that SCTA would require this; yes/no?

The certification of my clutch is old (1998?) and I suspect the SFI class was for drag use (a class other than 1.5; need to search my documents); any guesses on whether Crower might be willing to re-class and re-certify it?

Although I haven't found that a clutch can liner is specifically required by SCTA, it appears that SFI requires (for re-certification purposes) that I maintain the use of the liner as originally fitted; yes/no?

All comments welcome... I'm new to the world of land-racing...
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: SFI: driveline stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:17:54 AM »
Umm... come on guys- impress me with your helpfulness!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:57:02 AM »
Jack,

I'm in a different class, but I never found a rule regarding SFI clutches, and I don't believe there is one.

There is a rule on SFI flywheel shields, and flywheels- no cast iron/cast aluminum flywheels are permitted. Flywheel shields are to be SFI spec 6.1, 6.2, or 6.3, depending on the application.(3.0 in rule book)

Contact Lee Kennedy, -He's the car tech committee chair, and over the special construction catagory.-techchairs@scta-bni.org

Good luck!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 12:07:47 AM »
Thanks, Flattie. I will forward my questions to Lee Kennedy; but only after I figure out why I thought clutches needed to be SFI in SCTA (my CRS episodes seem to be getting more frequent...).

SFI clutch cans: re-certify annually? Must be done by the manufacturer?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:10:49 AM by Pontiac Jack »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 11:03:16 AM »
I don't think in SCTA there is any re-cert or even checking for sfi cert at inspection. I think the main thing is to have at least 1/4" of steel between you and the moving parts. If something severe happened inside the can, it probably is distorted and needs replaced.

JMHO
RON
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 05:45:30 PM »
Spec list and re-cert info here.

http://www.sfifoundation.com/speclist.html
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 12:31:24 AM »
Yes, I looked extensively at the SFI site before starting this thread. What I haven't yet found are rules within SCTA (or ECTA) that deal with re-certification.
For example: when I competed under NTPA sanction, the NTPA rules stated that clutch cans needed to be re-certified annually by the manufacturer, but that clutches could be certified annually by NTPA officials. Are there similar statements somewhere in SCTA/ECTA rules? If not, do these associations enforce the certification-intervals provided by the SFI Foundation? Are any SCTA/ECTA officials authorized to re-certify (for example) clutches?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 09:10:10 AM »
Yes, I looked extensively at the SFI site before starting this thread. What I haven't yet found are rules within SCTA (or ECTA) that deal with re-certification.
For example: when I competed under NTPA sanction, the NTPA rules stated that clutch cans needed to be re-certified annually by the manufacturer, but that clutches could be certified annually by NTPA officials. Are there similar statements somewhere in SCTA/ECTA rules? If not, do these associations enforce the certification-intervals provided by the SFI Foundation? Are any SCTA/ECTA officials authorized to re-certify (for example) clutches?
[/quoteI am going to take a jump here. Answers are No, No and No. I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about a clutch/trans explosion on the salt though likely have happened. I have made 15-16 trips out there and do not recall ever being asked other than on the inspection sheet anything about the clutch, flywheel or bellhousing. That is not to say you should ignore your feet and life with unsafe stuff. Paragraphs 3.H 3.O and 3.S apply. They want SFI shield but if none available, make your own out of 1/4" steel. SCTA "Approved"

Many times here people coming from other racing venues- NHRA, Nascar, in your case NTPA etc try to compare and contrast the rules they are familiar with and the SCTA rules. They are a lot different, have different reasons for being and it seems a surprise to some why SCTA does what it does. Many topics that seem common elsewhere seem to be ignored by SCTA. Doesn't make one group right, the other wrong. And don't get me wrong here, am not trying to slam anyone. We (SCTA, ECTA etc, LSR in general) don't like crashing or losing anyone any more than anybody else so safety first. But the focus of some of the rules is a bit different and so seems strange some times. A given inspector may have different thoughts about what works but more seems to be cage issues than anything, IMO. So it is back to get a rule book, read the rule book, read it again etc etc. A common mantra here. More or less, if it is not in the rule book, you are OK. Hope this helps and I have not misled here. Others may feel differently.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »
Jacksoni gets it. Don't worry...... be happy.  :cheers:

By the way. It also says wayyyyy in the front of the rule book that pictures and letters of intent can (should) be submitted to the SCTA to help you out before you arrive at the race vinue. Easy peasy.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...