Author Topic: Liner front wheels.....  (Read 7526 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Liner front wheels.....
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:15:58 PM »
I have recently heard some conflicting info on the subject of stagger VS inline.

The book says:
 5.A.1  "it has to have 4 wheels but do not need to be arranged in a rectangular configuration".

4.D "4 wheels not aligned, witch shall be in contact......."

So are inline fronts allowed in liner?
If they have to be staggered what is the minimal amount?

As I read it liners could have 4 inline wheels similar to an inline skate config but do not want to get into an argument in the future or to prove that my fronts are offset by .001.

Just wondering.....

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: Liner front wheels.....
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 08:25:35 PM »
Johnny, 4.D is just a general description of an automobile, while 5.A.1 is the description under streamliner, as you know.

Obviously, I'm no expert, but it SEEMS clear to me that the wheels do not have to be offset, but can be, if you wish.

Oh, "one pair of wheels shall be on the same transverse centerline" may prevent the inline scenario!

Happy New Year! :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:30:29 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »
I am not proposing doing all inline wheels.....only fronts.

I just want to make sure before I get into a "petting the cat backwards" event that I so often find myself running headlong into.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 08:50:06 PM »
 I would send an email to the tech chair, if you haven't already.

It appears that what you have planned will work. As far as I can find, it only says that the front two wheels both have to be steerable, and that one set, which could be the back set, have to be transverse.

Good Luck! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 02:57:04 PM »
Think about Speed Demon and it's wheel layout...
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »
What Mike said, Fronts "in line" rears on the tranverse center line. Both fronts steerable.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »
Check out Landspeed55's build diary
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 03:33:17 PM »
Sorry it took a while -- but here's what the front wheel(s) look like on the #715 Speed Demon.  This is from the Shootout in '08.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SteveM

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 03:49:52 PM »
WOW - it's hard to say for sure, but those fronts on the Speed Demon look like "Donut" spare wheels from an OEM application. 
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 04:33:06 PM »
I am pretty sure those are Taylor Made wheels.  When you have a lot of offset thats what they do---I have some 18" that look like those 15"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »
You are most likely correct about the Taylor wheels.  I have read that Taylor does use the "space saver" centers when making some of their rims.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline jl222

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »

Anyone know what Goodyears are on the Speed Demon and their speed rating?

Looks like DW hard at work on the wheels :-D

Happy New Year JL222 :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:48:55 PM by jl222 »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 09:50:55 PM »
I don't know the specs on the tires - but I do remember them being all shredded.  George had made the down run and qualified, so all hands (including Dan) pitched in to get the car ready for the return run.  I don't know if the team switched to a new tire size/style after that.  The photo was from '09, I think, and I don't remember (either) if Nate Jones was part of the team in attendance then -- but he has been for the last two years.  Tire problems haven't surfaced in that time, either.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:52:39 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 10:55:07 PM »
Goodyear 21" 15s 300 tires going 400 may tend to have problems
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline dw230

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 12:17:02 AM »
Back to original question. There is no "in print" spec for the off set of the front tires in an in-line configuration. If Jonny were to make his car only .001" difference it will be hard to measure that small of a track to meet the rules.

My question would be why try to keep the tires so close together? It has been proven that two tires on the same axle, extremely close to each other will not give you the Ackermann effect correctly. If you plan to off set just enough to meet the rule will you have a safe car?

I am sorry that I don't recall what we set the wheels at when I was working for Rich Manchen on the Speed Demon rebuild. We used the same set up for Flat Fire which set the record at 302, exit 310 if I recall correctly.

I jumped in as pictured because I was familar with the front end and we needed to change tires to get George back down the race track to set the FIA record at that meet.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth