Author Topic: What's in a Log Book?  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Bill H

• New folks
What's in a Log Book?
« on: December 28, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »
We're building a bike for Bonneville, what information should I be keeping that will go into the log book?

Hoping to make in 2012, if not ready, should we bring the bike in order to have it inspected, get log book?

Thanks for the direction.

Bill H

Offline RichFox

Re: What's in a Log Book?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 05:18:30 PM »
Bringing it to El Mirage or Bonneville even if it's not done is always a good idea. Getting it inspected when there are other bikes around that you can look at makes the explanation much more clear. And it's a good excuse to get out and watch fast cars and bikes.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
Let's see if I can remember it all.  First of all, the inside front cover is where you should put a couple or four photos of you bike AS YOU'LL RACE IT.  That is, with the racing bodywork (or lack of it) and so on.  The purpose of the photos is so the inspector can visually assure himself that the bike you've presented for inspection looks just like the bike in the photos.

On the first page you'll fill out basic information about your bike - things like VIN (I think), manufacturer, year, and stuff like displacement and bore/stroke.  Probably you'll enter the name of the bike's owner (whomever is named on the title).  I don't think modification are required to put there.  I've always put them on the various pages used for each event (well, like new swingarm, custom bodywork, bored/stroked engine) and so on - so the inspector and the impound crew (we always hope to be there) can have written references.

Now comes the big question - do you have an official logbook?  The SCTA prints, sells, and likes very much if you use theirs.  It will also include (in a little envelope stapled inside the rear cover) your oval race vehicle's ID sticker.  Put that on something that's ermanent on the bike -- for instance the steering head (versus the crankcase or bodywork).  The inspector will look and confirm that the sticker is the one that's related to the logbook (the books have that same number printed on 'em), so don't hide it too well - or you'll be stripping down the bike each time at inspection.

That pretty well covers it - but I'd be amazed if I got it all.  Best wishes.

Oh, yeah -- it's a fine idea to take the bike for an inspection before you finish it/have to get inspected before you race, of course.  The first day of inspection is usually way too busy to distract the inspectors, but after a couple of days they're all but bored - doing not much but measuring engines in impound and re-inspecting bikes that have changed class or suffered an incident and got red-tagged.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bill H

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:18:34 AM »
Rich, Jon

Thanks, that's just the info I wanted.

See you on the Salt.

Bill H

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:10:32 AM »
Bill,

Are you planning on running SCTA or BUB?  I'm not sure if they use the same log book.
John
John

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
bub does not use a log book.

I keep and use the log book anyway.
for bub, I started at the end of the event pages and work my way to the front.
4 ecta and lta ( sooner or later 4 scta and/or usfra ) I started at the front.

franey
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:33:18 PM by saltwheels262 »
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 09:20:59 PM »
, but after a couple of days they're all but bored - doing not much but measuring engines in impound and re-inspecting bikes that have changed class or suffered an incident and got red-tagged.

Hey!!!
I resemble that remark
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 11:36:15 PM »
, but after a couple of days they're all but bored - doing not much but measuring engines in impound and re-inspecting bikes that have changed class or suffered an incident and got red-tagged.

Hey!!!
I resemble that remark
G

Grummy takes it seriously.  I tried getting my Schwinn Traveler past tech, and he busted me right at the get go for not having metal tire valve caps.

You've got to get up pretty early in the morning to put one past Grummy.

Actually, you need to get up for tomorrow about 14 hours ago.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: