Author Topic: Anybody using Space Saver wheels in a FWD application?  (Read 8841 times)

gkabbt

Re: Anybody using Space Saver wheels in a FWD application?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 07:07:11 AM »
I  to go find me some of these, I would bet they will take care of a lot of Scrub radius issues on a lot of cars.

Sparky,

Good call.....That is kinda what I thought as well when I first got them.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 07:09:04 AM »
Taylor Made 18" Space Savers

Sparky......Just WOW!!!!! Really great looking wheel.   :cheers:

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 07:16:45 AM »
I used 1990 Ford Probe space saver wheels on my roadster. They are 4 X 15 with 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern. The Moons fit but had to re-contour center to clear hub and use short Dzuses. In hindsight I think three dents in the wheel under the Dzus tabs would have helped that clearance problem.

Picture on USFRA web site.  WOS 2010 pictures,  lower right corner, Page 4, , #1128

Ron

Ron,
Really nice looking Roadster you have there.  :cheers:

Gregg

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 10:15:13 AM »
 Honestly, I didn't build it. Tony Piner and Pete Eastwood built it in late eighty's.
 When it came up for sale, a friend and I bought it. I made changes to the front end to eliminate 1.75 inch per side of scrub steer (thanks Sparky). Seems to handle OK but don't know how it handled before, never drove it with scrub. It did have a tendency to spin before we bought it (normal for a roadster according to some). we will see.
 At 2010 SW all I got done was licensing and qualifying for long course.  At WOS it swallowed a valve on the first pass.
 Made some other small aero changes since that I hope help. Life got in the road this year. Looking at 2012.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 10:40:17 AM »
Ron... Ron... Ron.... aero on a roadster  :?  Just keep adding horsepower, you can't get aero on a brick....
Hey if you get down this way, I almost have the shop addition finished... the floor heat that you helped lay has been on for almost 2 months...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »
Stainless, if I get down that way I'll sure do it. I'm having "Boeing Surplus" and the "Yard" withdrawal pains but at $200 gas bills for the trip I don't think I can save that much.  Shoulda bought more when I was there. :-D

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.