Author Topic: Anybody using Space Saver wheels in a FWD application?  (Read 8847 times)

Offline SteveM

Anybody using Space Saver wheels in a FWD application?
« on: December 28, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »
I know that the use of space saver rims is relatively common in LSR racing, but I'm wondering if people are using them for front-wheel-drive applications?   The issue I'm seeing is whether or not the Moon disks will fit on any FWD space savers, as the wheel offsets look pretty "deep".   I was looking at some FWD space savers at the junkyard last weekend, with the hopes of eventually using them on my '84 Rampage project.  I can see that they would bolt on just fine, but the large amount of negative offset seems like it would prohibit the use of Moon type disk covers.  And everybody knows that if it doesn't have Moon disks, then it's not an LSR car.

Any advice, or suggestions for finding skinny steel wheels for a FWD application?  (5x100 bolt pattern).

Steve M.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline RansomT

Re: Anybody using Space Saver wheels in a FWD application?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:04:13 PM »
I worked with and drove a Taurus SHO in Production that had the space saver rims and moons a couple years back.   Bolt pattern is a 5x108.   My suggestion is to look for the largest Chrysler vehicle that has that pattern.  The wider the rim the less offset.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 02:55:12 PM »
That's encouraging news.  I think I might just have to take a Moon disc with me to the junkyard to see what will work.

Steve.

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 08:38:41 PM »
I remember Moon making a disk that was deeper to clear front spindles that protruded too far for their standard disk.
Maybe they would give you the clearance you need.

Don

gkabbt

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 09:12:44 AM »
Here are some pictures of Mike Manghelli's VW pickup and they do look like space saver wheels.

I have the space savers on the rear of my truck just for shop purposes and do not plan on using them for racing.
Steve, you are correct in that I do not think the Moon disk would fit on them.
I'll try to get pictures later today and post.

Gregg

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:19:43 PM »
I used 1990 Ford Probe space saver wheels on my roadster. They are 4 X 15 with 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern. The Moons fit but had to re-contour center to clear hub and use short Dzuses. In hindsight I think three dents in the wheel under the Dzus tabs would have helped that clearance problem.

Picture on USFRA web site.  WOS 2010 pictures,  lower right corner, Page 4, , #1128

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

gkabbt

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »
Steve,
Here are the pics of the space savers on the rear of my Rampage:

These are 5X100 and, if I remember correctly, from a 1990's Chrysler cloud car.

Hope this helps,
Gregg

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 11:51:06 AM »
I  to go find me some of these, I would bet they will take care of a lot of Scrub radius issues on a lot of cars.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »
Very good pics and information guys. Happy New Year. Gregg- that's the setup (5x100) that I plan to run as well. Will you be having custom wheels made?  I think that Taylor Wheels can use space saver centers in their wheels, it wouldn't surprise me if that's what the White Goose truck is running. I'm still hoping to find some space savers that will work with Moon discs.

Offline salt27

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 04:37:46 PM »
I remember Moon making a disk that was deeper to clear front spindles that protruded too far for their standard disk.

Don

Check out SpeedwayMotors.com part #5401151.

Offline saltsho1

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 06:31:44 PM »
I use them on my 89 Taurus sho w/moon discs, no problems car handles very well at speed with them and the rims are already welded inside center to outside rim.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 08:22:49 PM »
Taylor Made 18" Space Savers
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »
That's some SERIOUS backspacing on that 18" rim.  I have a feeling that wheel is going under a 'liner or some such.  I don't think a Moon disc is going to fit on that thing.

gkabbt

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 06:41:43 AM »

Don

Check out SpeedwayMotors.com part #5401151.

salt27 - Don,
Good call on the Speedway Motors 5401151: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spun-Aluminum-Disc-Wheel-Covers,4637.html?baseNo=540115#tabcontent
I might need to order one to see if it would work.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 07:00:21 AM »
Very good pics and information guys. Happy New Year. Gregg- that's the setup (5x100) that I plan to run as well. Will you be having custom wheels made?  I think that Taylor Wheels can use space saver centers in their wheels, it wouldn't surprise me if that's what the White Goose truck is running. I'm still hoping to find some space savers that will work with Moon discs.
Steve,

I am setting up my truck to mainly run the ECTA and LTA so I am planning on running wider wheels / tires for traction.
I will have custom ones made and am still trying to figure out the best offset / backspacing.
If it runs well enough at Wilmington and Loring (crosses fingers.....LOL), I do plan on the long tow out to Bonneville  :-o  and there I will be using narrower wheels / tires like the space savers.
As usual, hope this helps.   :cheers:

Gregg