Author Topic: Landracing.com is moving, now!  (Read 32686 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Landracing.com is moving, now!
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2012, 12:01:15 PM »
Bob, I get logged out of the index page every time I leave the board. As soon as I click a sub forum I get logged back in. Then when I go home it recognizes me and logs me back in. This on 3 differnt computers in separate locations using IE.

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »
Status:  I just now straightened out the major settings, as it looks like everybody can use the "Landracing.com" url now, and get in.  As I was changing them I had a bad time of getting logged out... see how your 'forever login' works now.  I'm hoping making things harmonious, so to speak, will solve a lot of these little bugs.  The login (at least) works on cookies, so if there are mixed url's being used, that might mess that up.

Spellcheck... a popular thing, it's on my todo list.  Either get it working on IE, or put on an add-on which I've seen, but don't know details on.

So let's see what started working, and where the remaining problems are.

Thanks,
Bob
Web Elf

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »
Bob, when I type a reply if I make a spelling error the red underline appears. It looks like the spell check is working, it's just the button and correcting area have disappeared.

Ain't technology great???

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2012, 09:26:17 PM »
I've always (for years, that is) seen the red squiggly underline telling me that I've mis-spelled -- but I've never seen anything that would correct it.  I thought that was up to me - the machine was just telling me where to look.  That's how it is now.  Where's this "button and correcting area"?

In the new system I'm having an interesting time logging in:  I enter whatever it takes to get it ready to let me click "login" (what it takes has changed a few times in the past week, and was different just now from what it was a few hours ago), click to login -- and I get a blank page.  I click the refresh button and get a quick drop down asking if I want it to "resend old data (or whatever that thing says) and I click "resend" and then everything comes up okay.  Four clicks to log in - used to take two.  I can live with it -- just reporting.

G'night.  13F right now, rising to 25 by 5AM.  And don't forget, boys and girls, to look near Polaris (the north star to you Mopar fans) around 2.20AM to see the busiest meteorite shower of 'em all -- likely to be 80 - 100 meteors/hour for about one hour.  Go to www.spaceweather.com to find the rest of this story:

"Watch the Quadrantids on a cold January night. The shower is expected to peak around 07:20 UT (02:20 am EST) on Wednesday morning, Jan. 4th."
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2012, 09:44:50 PM »
The spell check button was always to the right of the preview button.

Boy Bob, bet your looking forward to a reduction in issues and a little time off.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:46:47 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2012, 10:34:36 PM »
I've always (for years, that is) seen the red squiggly underline telling me that I've mis-spelled -- but I've never seen anything that would correct it.  I thought that was up to me - the machine was just telling me where to look.  That's how it is now.  Where's this "button and correcting area"?

In firefox (which has a built in spell check) you right click on the underlined word and it will bring up a pull down menu of choices you can select to replace the miss-spelled word. If the word really is correctly spelled, but just not included in the firefox default dictionary you can add the word to the dictionary on your system. (note this is capitalization specific, so if it is the first word of a sentence and capitalized the spell check will still show the lower case version as incorrect).

When in doubt regarding some obscure technical word, just do a search for the word in google and it will usually suggest the proper spelling as a search option.

Larry

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2012, 12:34:40 AM »
Hey Larry, I just tried your method on the I-MAC and it worked like a charm. The suggested words were right at the top when I selected "Spelling and Grammar" with all the options below. Here Slim's had it all along and he didn't even know! Have fun with it Jon. You can even teach it new tricks.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks Larry. It's always good when us older folks are able to learn new stuff. :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2012, 02:04:11 AM »
Glad it worked for you.

I am only a handful of years behind you, but I work with computers in my day job and you'd be surprised how often even professional IT guys have been doing things the hard way for years because the easy way to do it is not intuitively obvious (like for example to shut down a windows system you click on the "start" button).

The good news is the spell check works for you -- the bad news is it creates a new and sometimes interesting spell check induced typo problem when you accidentally click the wrong selection in the pull down list and you end up with a sentence that reads:

"sometimes interesting spell check induced typo problem when you automatically click the wrong selection"

:)

Larry

Offline dw230

« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »
Thanks for fixing the "Show Unread Post" thingie.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »
Okay, Larry - but before I can do what you suggest I've got to ask PJ what to do when you say to right-click.  Apple mice don't have right or left click buttons - so, Peter -- what's the Apple way to do that?

And -- I've never had a spell check button to the right of the preview button - just post and preview.  Still that way, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2012, 02:13:36 PM »
Perhaps this will help you out Jon.

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/66

Larry

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2012, 07:57:31 PM »
Larry's article does a much better job than I could ever do. Hope the new experience broadens your horizons Jon.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2012, 08:57:59 PM »
Me no like Mac.......mystery boxes with no way in.....do not mention i-Tunes in my vicinity.. :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2012, 09:50:37 PM »
I did look at the site -- but not for long enough.  I'll go back.  But there's still no spell check button on this here form.  Maybe I'll post a photo and you can tell me where it should be.  Ah -- I've got it, a screen shot.  Here's what I'm seeing: 

Should there be a "spell check" button someplace there?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2012, 10:21:32 PM »
I haven't worried about it since Larry told me about the right click trick. I remember it being to the right of the other two buttons but then again, take my age into consideration!

Pete