Author Topic: Beairsto & Forstall 3000 APS/G  (Read 20583 times)

Offline Koncretekid

Re: Beairsto & Forstall 3000 APS/G
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2011, 06:09:20 PM »
Scott,
Looks like fitting the fairing is same stage as mine.  See my post.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 02:35:26 AM »
No Tom,
You are much further ahead, I think your progress is remarkable for what has been a short period of time. :cheers:
You definitely found the right people to help with your project.
My fairing photos were taken last spring with the body sitting up on paint cans, I was just happy to see that it looked possible and put the parts back in the box. We needed to focus on rebuilding the engines and the coupler.

After Speed Week, I dropped the Double off with my mechanic, Richard Bak, and left him with a long list, including mounting the body and suspension upgrades. Richard refuses to do body work in his shop and that's fine, we will have to farm that out. However, he did design some body mounts that will give us lots of options and we have a general idea of what we need to do. I did not want to weld mounts on to the frame and wanted something that was easily removeable for the open class.

Now that I'm headed home and the new mounts have arrived, we can make some actual progress with fitting the body, see how much additional fiberglass work is required and find a marine shop that is interested in the project.

2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »
Who built the stuff Scott?

CNC and anodizing sure makes stuff look pretty. :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 07:17:15 AM »
Scott,
Looks like you might have some extra body mounts there.  Maybe you should send me some so I can prove that they'll work!

I have become quite interested in CNC machining lately, and am curious if your machinist can take drawings that appear to be "Solid Works" drawings, and proceed directly to the milling machine.  My friend Doug Edwards in Longmont has to first re-draw them on another milling program in orthogonal views and then program each tool, tool path, machining speed, etc.

By the way, I made some mounts like yours -- just didn't paint them red!

Tom

Offline JimL

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 11:25:51 AM »
Welcome home, have a fun build season, and hope to visit with you in impound for 2012!  (Though you'll be over there on the "fast guy" course....missed you this year with trying to run in 3 records between the 2 bikes, which turned into an engine swap before we could run the shaft drive bike....and it rained....and it mud...and it stuck the motorhome. :-P)  Sent you an email.

Regards, JimL

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 07:27:49 PM »
Scott,
Just a thought regarding your oil coolers from a "car" guy. Since you have to completely redo your cooler system any thought about possibly mounting the coolers in a water tank and completely eliminate any intake for the coolers. You probably would not require a lot of water and if you add ice even less and getting rid of the air inlets and flow through the coolers should be good for aero. I realize that with the new body space is probably a real rare commodity. Just a thought. As the saying goes "You are the one having intercourse with this cat, I am merely holding its head!"

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2011, 06:54:14 AM »
Question:  You say you have to have a 2nd oil cooler for the head.  Does this mean you have a 2nd oil pump dedicated to cool the head? Also, do you have a separate reservoir for each oil system?  Just wondering if the oil is in a closed loop system with no reservoir or expansion tank, could the expansion of the hot oil cause additional stress on the radiator?
Tom

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 08:13:09 AM »
Tom ... you really are an engineer ... interesting questions.

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 05:06:50 AM »
Jack,
We use several different machine shops and it usually just comes down finding someone who is actually interested in the job itself. There is no shortage of oil field work in central Alberta and most shops would prefer to concentrate on their bread & butter.

Tom,
The Solid Works Drawing and Model are just given to the machinist to convert to another program for clamps, process, sequence etc.
Regarding the auxillary oil cooler, the oil flows through the cooler before it enters the cylinder head. There is only a single oil pump and no reservoir.

Rex,
Yes, I wish we had room for water tanks, they could double as ballast. But no, space is already at a premium...10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag. :-D

2 Club since '02
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 06:05:26 AM »
I had an extra front end from an '04 Honda 600RR, the last year for conventional forks, and a spare set from a Hayabusa. It was far easier to modify the parts and fit the Honda unit, rather than the USD forks...no need to re-invent every wheel. Now the Double has a fairly modern front end with adjustments for pre-load and damping.

The bike was never designed for wide modern tires and in order to comply with the current "race" rubber rule, we are left with very few options and they are all 17" and fat. I managed to squeeze in a 190 series rear tire into the swingarm but that left us with very little adjustment, and the left side wall did eventually rub during tire growth. I sorted through a couple of bike wreckers trying to find a used swingarm that we could modify but didn't have any luck. We looked at several different aftermarket manufacturers and we still would have needed them to make a "one off" swingarm for our application, so we are just going to make the "one off" ourselves. Because the rear frame is so narrow and in order to keep the sprockets aligned, we need to use a jackshaft. If the coupler wasn't in the way, it would be a simple matter of using an outboard bearing set up off the countershaft. The design is pretty much finalized, we will make most of what we require on the CNC and Richard will tig weld it together.

I saw the bike last week and the body was sitting loose on the bike. The front engine's header will be a challenge and may require a "blister" on the right side of the body. We did decide to try and run the exhausts out the back of the bike, rather than out the side, to try and keep it clean. We hope to move the 2 side oil coolers (cylinder heads) in closer and gain the necessary clearance for the body. The front engines' troublesome main oil cooler will likely find a new home in the nose of the faring and will be fed air by ducts. The rear engine's main oil cooler seems ok where it is and out of harm's way.
2 Club since '02