Author Topic: One piece front end out of factory parts LEGAL?  (Read 5162 times)

Offline FreeLance

• New folks
One piece front end out of factory parts LEGAL?
« on: December 18, 2011, 10:49:14 AM »
Hey guys, doing some prep work in my shop for the exterior. I believe it should be fine as it's all factory parts but I would like to confirm first. I would like to take the front fenders, hood, front bumper, and front lip and mold them all together with high strength epoxy and metal brackets for safety. The goal to this is to prevent the drag seams cause and only allowing the front open area to allow air into the front end. I will be attaching the whole piece back on by using the fender bolts that bolt along the seam of the hood/fenders and some extra bolts between the bumper and fenders.

Seems like a bit of work but I don't mind spending a day to do it. It would also make the car easier to work on being able to take the whole front end off and having complete access to everything. Let me know if this will pass or fail. Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation.

Offline krusty

Re: One piece front end out of factory parts LEGAL?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 12:17:36 PM »

For what class? Sealing the seams forward of the cowl may not be legal for your chosen class. "Blueprinting" the panel gaps and leaving everything bolted together with minimized factory gaps may be legal, however. You can always 200mph tape the seams if you feel that it is needed/legal.    vic

Offline JR529

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »
Hey guys, doing some prep work in my shop for the exterior. I believe it should be fine as it's all factory parts but I would like to confirm first. I would like to take the front fenders, hood, front bumper, and front lip and mold them all together with high strength epoxy and metal brackets for safety. The goal to this is to prevent the drag seams cause and only allowing the front open area to allow air into the front end. I will be attaching the whole piece back on by using the fender bolts that bolt along the seam of the hood/fenders and some extra bolts between the bumper and fenders.

Seems like a bit of work but I don't mind spending a day to do it. It would also make the car easier to work on being able to take the whole front end off and having complete access to everything. Let me know if this will pass or fail. Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation.

This totally depends on the class you are building for.
Production? Illegal
Gas Coupe? Illegal
Altered Coupe? Illegal for some seams, OK for others.
Comp Coupe? OK!

It would be illegal for the exact reason you are stating for wanting to do it in the first place, "prevent the drag seams cause".

Offline FreeLance

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »
I will be running in the same class as the Racing Beat Rx7. I got the idea off of the pictures of their car. I find it ironic that it would be illegal as they did it many years ago with a aftermarket one piece front end...

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Mike%20Garrett/1August/Racing%20Beat/salt5.jpg

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
It would be ok for Modified Sports.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:48:49 AM »
What are you planning to run? Where are you planning to run? Do you have a current rule book? Maybe you should be asking the person who looks after tech for the class you run. The rule book will give you their name. Sort out your approach before you decide whether the rules are fair or not. Once you find out the rule, build to it or prepare to meet the consequences.

Pete

Offline JR529

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 07:18:08 PM »
I will be running in the same class as the Racing Beat Rx7. I got the idea off of the pictures of their car. I find it ironic that it would be illegal as they did it many years ago with a aftermarket one piece front end...

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Mike%20Garrett/1August/Racing%20Beat/salt5.jpg

FYI, The car in that picture is a mod sports, not a production, gas coupe or altered so as joe said it's good to go.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:20:06 PM by JR529 »