Author Topic: LSR = Land Speed Rampage  (Read 172568 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: LSR = Land Speed Rampage
« Reply #255 on: December 11, 2015, 08:34:22 AM »

Gregg:

Nice to meet you at PRI. Let's hope our next visit is a few miles outside of Wendover with 8 miles of good salt!

Safe travels,

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #256 on: January 09, 2016, 08:28:26 PM »

Please let me know what you think (be gentle LOL) .

I think if you take the thing over 150mph you should be given the medal of honor.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

gkabbt

« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2016, 04:10:49 PM »

Poly.....I don't really understand your comment.....:?  :?  :?

Gregg

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »

Gregg

He asked for people to let him know what they think.  Probably one of the most pointless and useless vehicles chrysler ever put their name on... I almost said made but realized chrysler corp really had nothing to do with it's production.  It's P-dumb in the greatest ways possible.  Wrong for all the right reasons.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2016, 05:11:06 PM »

Gregg

He asked for people to let him know what they think.  Probably one of the most pointless and useless vehicles chrysler ever put their name on... I almost said made but realized chrysler corp really had nothing to do with it's production.  It's P-dumb in the greatest ways possible.  Wrong for all the right reasons.

I beg to differ.

I've owned two, and would gladly purchase a similar type vehicle if one were available in the US.

Two seats, so you don't have to bring anybody along that you don't want to, enough space in the back to haul band equipment, lawn mowers, table saws, tools, etc., yet not so large that all of your buddies ask you to help them move, tows 2500 lb's, fits in the garage, good in snow, gets 24 mpg and you get the lower cost "Truck" license plate tags.

And the 2.2 with the 4 speed was quicker off the line than anything Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, Ford or Chevy was selling as a mini pickup in 1984.

Singularly the most practical and utilitarian vehicle I've ever owned.

God Bless the Dodge Rampage.  :cheers:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2016, 05:13:29 PM »
You look at today's small pickup market -- and there's no "small" pickup.

In Mexico you see a bunch of Chevy (not Chevrolet) useful vehicles that look a lot like a Rampage.  I think they're great for some craftsmen that don't need to pay for a full-size with its initial cost and higher gas expenses.

Stan

(Damm, Chris -- you beat me by 2 minutes.  I'll have to practice my typing.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:15:12 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2016, 05:51:40 PM »
Stan, typing is hopeless for us old guys. High school typing class was over 50 years ago and most of those 50+years we didnt type anything. So its slow and steady. :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2016, 06:41:10 PM »
Don't give up yet, typists.  I remember Mrs. Oppenheimer, in 10th grade, my typing teacher.  She was massively endowed in the breastal department (at least us 10-th graders thought so) and therefore I spent lots of time paying rapt attention to her.  I still type very well and very fast.  Thanks, Ma'am, for the fantasies and the teaching.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2016, 08:25:09 PM »
Don't give up yet, typists.  I remember Mrs. Oppenheimer, in 10th grade, my typing teacher.  She was massively endowed in the breastal department (at least us 10-th graders thought so) and therefore I spent lots of time paying rapt attention to her.  I still type very well and very fast.  Thanks, Ma'am, for the fantasies and the teaching.

Slim:

The secret to learning to type is to look at something other than the key board and train your fingers where the keys are...well it worked didn't it?

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2016, 08:26:38 PM »
Great in snow??? it's not even rwd.  How are you suppose to go the next 8 miles sideways with that?  Now a '64 Polara, that's great in snow.  Enough chrome to scare everyone out of your way and tough enough to keep on going after you knock some things over.  Just pull it out of the ditch and do it some more.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2016, 11:55:28 PM »
Great in snow??? it's not even rwd.  How are you suppose to go the next 8 miles sideways with that?  Now a '64 Polara, that's great in snow.  Enough chrome to scare everyone out of your way and tough enough to keep on going after you knock some things over.  Just pull it out of the ditch and do it some more.

I'm not talking about candyazz snow like you get in the Northwest.  I've driven C Body Mopars in snow - REAL snow - IOWA snow, like the snow that brought down Buddy Holly's plane and inspired Manfred Mann.  Yep, those are good snow cars . . .

The '64 Polara was the same chassis as my dad's '62 Dart, and with a set of studded snow tires, was unstoppable - even with the brakes.

BUT

The Rampages - along with the Dodge Omni - FWD - NEVER let me down, NEVER left me stuck or stranded - AND could pull a Jim Rockford in reverse in the Target parking lot from a DEAD STOP. 

And you didn't have to spend the whole weekend polishing chrome . . .  :wink:

Welcome aboard, Ben.   :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2016, 12:36:44 AM »
I don't know jack about a Polara, seen snow 3 times in my life and maybe a foot at best?.
I type with one finger. :-D :-D :-D

gkabbt

« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2016, 06:26:28 AM »

Poly, You seem to have a thing against FWD trucks and being used as race trucks.

Here are two examples for you viewing pleasure:
This is SteveM's 1984 Rampage and is the H/DT Record Holder at both Bonneville and Wilmington at 135+.

and here is his build diary link:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10625.0.html

This is the White Goose Bar 1980 VW and is the Record Holder at El Mirage with a 182+ and Bonneville with a 194+.

and here is their link:

http://www.whitegoosebar.com/veh_2111.html

FWD ROCKS!

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2016, 06:32:25 AM »

Gregg:

Nice to meet you at PRI. Let's hope our next visit is a few miles outside of Wendover with 8 miles of good salt!

Safe travels,

Bill

Bill, Sorry, completely missed this post. REALLY good meeting you as well. Always good to put a face with a name. True on Bonneville! You planning any trips to Wilmington or Loring?

Gregg

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2016, 07:08:08 AM »

I'm not talking about candyazz snow like you get in the Northwest.  I've driven C Body Mopars in snow - REAL snow - IOWA snow, like the snow that brought down Buddy Holly's plane and inspired Manfred Mann.  Yep, those are good snow cars . . .

The '64 Polara was the same chassis as my dad's '62 Dart, and with a set of studded snow tires, was unstoppable - even with the brakes.

BUT

The Rampages - along with the Dodge Omni - FWD - NEVER let me down, NEVER left me stuck or stranded - AND could pull a Jim Rockford in reverse in the Target parking lot from a DEAD STOP. 

And you didn't have to spend the whole weekend polishing chrome . . .  :wink:

Welcome aboard, Ben.   :cheers:

This wasn't in Portland, This was in Indiana.  I moved to Oregon in 2002.  Also I don't think the '62 dart is really a B-body (the '64 polara is).  The '62dart was in the same no mans land that my 1960 dart is in.  Unit body, but not really a platform car.  The forward look era cars be crazy.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL