Author Topic: LSR = Land Speed Rampage  (Read 172564 times)

Offline jpm49c

Re: LSR = Land Speed Rampage
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 12:35:36 PM »
Thanks for the great pictures. I have a 1982 2.2 Dodge Charger that i bought in 1985 and has been sitting since 1999. Maybe someday!

gkabbt

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 05:07:30 AM »
All,

Thank you guys for looking at my Rampage build.    :cheers:

Cajun Kid - Charles, Maybe we will run into each other at Larry's while my truck is there. I really look forward to having him and his guys work some of their magic on my Rampage. I hope it comes out and nice as your cars.....all of them (LOL).

WOODY@DDLLC - Woody, Interesting video and good information on the ecomodder.com. Thanks for the link.

krusty - Vic, Thanks for the tip on the diagonals and that is one of the things that will be done next month. When I got the truck back from my chassis guy I kind of had the same thought.

stratman59 - Robbie, I know about the health issue thing. My back got me a couple of times this year. I hope your Dad is doing OK.

jpm49c - John, Get to work on the Charger and get in touch with Steve Hope - Whittier, CA. He runs a Shelby Charger at El Mirage and Bonneville. He has been running this car since the early nineties and used to work at Shelby Enterprises and is a super nice guy to talk to.

As I told others before, many thanks for the kind words.
Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 05:43:10 AM »

Unintended consequences or one thing always leads to another.

Silly little story I wanted to share.

When I first started this project, I really wanted an enclosed trailer to keep the Rampage out of the elements. Last year Charles put his 20' V-nose trailer up for sale and I bought it. Thanks again Charles!

On the agreed Saturday morning, I drive 2 1/2 hours out to his house to get the trailer with my 2006 V-6 Tacoma:

I get to Charles' house, do the transaction and hook the trailer up to my Tacoma. We say our goodbyes and I jump in the truck. Man, I was so pumped up at finally getting a super nice rig and then I had a MAJOR Oh Subaru moment. Let's see....The Tacoma is 6' wide and the trailer is 8 1/2' wide and I do not have towing mirrors. I literally cannot see Subaru behind me. I knew it was going to be a miserable ride home and it was. Luckily no one passed me blowing the horn, flashing lights or flipping me off so I guess I did not run anyone off the road although someone might still be in a ditch (LOL).

So now the task was.....I need to spend more money on something to tow this trailer with as the Tacoma was not going to cut it.
I was looking for a Suburban / Excursion when I stumbled on this at a really good price with low miles.

2008 Ram, 5.7L HEMI, Towing Package, etc.

I just got Mopar towing mirrors last week and will be installing them over the Christmas Holidays.

As I said, silly little story.

Thanks for listening,
Gregg

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:38:57 AM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 05:17:09 PM »
Hmmm, I just noticed on that Charger (G/Production), that it is running headlight covers.  Interesting....

SteveM.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline stratman59

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
You can if they are production and they were a production add on
I  think i,m right on that  :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 07:01:30 PM »
I recall those being a dealer installed option on the Shelby's - I don't know that they would fly on the Rampage in production.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 08:49:32 PM »
I had an '80 Dodge 024 (same basic body style as the Shelby).  I added clear headlight covers for the "cool factor" at the time.  However, I didn't realize that Dealer Installed Options would qualify for Production.  I assume the headlight covers would have been a "Direct Connection" item back in the '80's. 

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 04:50:22 AM »
Guys,

The headlight covers were an over-the-counter dealer installed "Direct Connection" item.
I did pose the question to the SCTA and did get a ruling back (from the Mayor himself) that there were indeed legal.
The wording was not Dodge specific, but any manufacturer. If covers were available for any car and an over-the-counter dealer installed item, they are legal.
Also, in my talk with Steve, he told me he posed the same question many years ago about the covers, was given the OK buy the SCTA, and that is why you see them on his car. Again, he has been running this car since the early nineties.

These Direct Connection headlight covers are scarce as hen's teeth (LOL) and I am still looking for a set for my Rampage.
I got a lead on a set and hope it pans out.  :-D

Hope this helps.

Gregg

P.S.
Dan's email is now part of my log notebook.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:00:02 AM by gkabbt »

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 06:54:26 AM »
Interesting.........we want to run gas coupe with our 1985 Mustang and then run Alt by adding headlight covers. If they were available as dealer installed would this negate the required change for class change?

gkabbt

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 07:34:15 AM »
saltracer1,

I cannot answer your question on this. It would in your best interest to contact the SCTA rules committee and see what they say.
I would assume that in ALT you would cover not only the headlights but the grille as well.....all in the name of aero.
Did Ford offer headlight covers in 1985?

Thanks,
Gregg

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 09:12:53 AM »
Well, I'd think that if you wanted to run ALT, a set of aftermarket covers might be your best approach.

Analogous to this is my factory hardtop on the Midget - It's been okayed for production, but if I were to run an aftermarket top, that would be a no-go.  That's a shame, because Speedwell made some pretty slick lids for my little coal scuttle.

Always check - get it in writing - your milage may vary.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 09:58:15 AM »
Guys,

The headlight covers were an over-the-counter dealer installed "Direct Connection" item.
I did pose the question to the SCTA and did get a ruling back (from the Mayor himself) that there were indeed legal.
The wording was not Dodge specific, but any manufacturer. If covers were available for any car and an over-the-counter dealer installed item, they are legal.
Gregg

Great information - I learned something new today.  Now to find a circa '84-88-ish Direct Connection catalog.  I know I used to have one, but chucked it in the trash many years ago (I think)....  Or maybe it's still in a box somewhere in the basement, I gotta get to diggin'.

gkabbt

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 10:25:18 AM »
Steve,
Got my catalog off of eBay so you might try there.
They had some pretty cool stuff for the Chargers and Rampages back then.

Chris,
You are absolutely correct: Always check - get it in writing - your milage may vary.

C'Ya,
Gregg

Offline jpm49c

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 10:35:37 AM »
The Direct Connection Catalog says: #P4286821 tinted,  #P4286820 clear, for 1984- 1985 2 door and  sport truck( Rampage) except Shelby for L-Body headlight covers.

Offline jpm49c

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 10:43:40 AM »
# P4120806 tinted and #P4286599 clear Headlight covers for 1979 - 1983 L Body