Author Topic: LSR = Land Speed Rampage  (Read 172565 times)

gkabbt

LSR = Land Speed Rampage
« on: December 17, 2011, 09:10:01 AM »
Hi All,

With the several responses I have given in SteveM's Rampage build diary, I have had several emails and a PM requesting pictures of my Rampage so here begins my build diary.

Name is Gregg Adams from NC.  I have been going to Maxton for 8 years and once to Bonneville in 2009 and the bug finally bit hard.

I picked up this 1983 Dodge Rampage in 2009 and have been slowly getting it ready for F/BMMP. Work on the truck came to a complete halt earlier this year when we found out that Maxton was ending and did not know where we were going to run. I have been very spoiled in that Maxton is only 2 hours from my house. Now that we have a new home in Wilmington, albeit 9 hours away, work is back on and I hope to have it completed by the middle of the year. I am very please with the work that my chassis did with the exception of not patching the holes in the floor and with that I am scheduled to bring it to Rod Crafters (the folks that built Charles Venables Vicky and Stude) the second week in January for body work and some other things.

I have had many email discussions / questions with several officials of the SCTA about the Rampage being legal for MMP and they all assured me it is.

Please let me know what you think (be gentle LOL) .

So without further ado, here is my Rampage:

Offline RichFox

Re: LSR = Land Speed Rampage
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 11:09:09 AM »
A Rampage F/MMP and a El Dorado AA/BFCC. One seems like a good idea.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 11:53:33 AM »
I have just a few questions about this....but first, the preamble....

For decades at Bonneville and in SCTA/BNI rules (governing the dry lakes too), there has been an interpretation of cars converted to trucks-specifically in relation to Chev(GMC) El Caminos (Caballeros) and Ford Rancheros stating that they must compete in the CAR CLASSES!

Now, I know that the rules are silent on Dodge Rampages and what body category in which they MUST compete but-

Have you got a written ruling in hand from, in your case the ECTA as to the legality of the body classification as a "MMP"?.... If they say that it is legal as a mid/mini pickup, does that also hold true for SCTA/BNI?.... If it is legal, can it be converted to real wheel drive and still be run as a mid/mini pickup truck?.... If conversion to a real wheel drive is okay, then, can it be repowered with a V8 engine?....

Do you understand where I am going with this?....See, I have a line on a complete '84 Rampage body and I own a couple of Dodge R5P7 engines etc....

And, if you have the written okay, would you share it with me?

Thanx
Dave

No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 04:17:44 PM »
Rampages are legal in the various MMP classes with SCTA.  An email to the SCTA rules committee will confirm that.

You will have to consult the rulebook with regards to changing from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive.  I believe it is prohibited to do so, but I don't have my rulebook in front of me.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline BHR301

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »
fastman614...If you intend to run the Rampage in /MMP or /BMMP you are not allowed to convert from front to rear wheel drive...it appears that it would move you into Altered Coupe.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:09:36 PM by BHR301 »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 05:52:52 PM »
Thumbing through the pics of the roll cage layout indicates that this will remain a FWD build.

Engine choice?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline salt27

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 06:58:24 PM »
Gregg,
Your aerodynamics maybe better with the forward portion of your bed cover removed.
At least this is according to what I've read about pickup aero.
Thanks for sharing your build,
                                           Don

Plan B

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »
On the subject of bed covers, this is worth looking at .... http://www.trucktestdigest.com/TTDfeatures/FeatureTailgateUporDown.htm

Nice build,  nice diary,  good pictures. 

Thanks for posting it.

ds

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 09:54:27 PM »
  Don't forget to extend the helmet side bar and make sure that you can still exit the car in a bailout.
     Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

gkabbt

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 07:25:17 AM »
All,

Thanks for looking at my Rampage build.  :cheers:

Rich - I hope this is the good idea.  :-D

Dave - When I first started this project, I did want to make sure it would be legal for MMP in both the SCTA and ECTA. Emails were sent to SCTA officials and the replies came back that the Rampage would be legal as were VW pickups. I also got verbal OK's from officials with the ECTA and down the path I went. Also, during the rollcage construction, my truck was taken to Maxton and Joe Timney gave it the onceover and approved what my chassis guy had done. As Steve said, an email to the SCTA rules committee will confirm legality.

Here is the Four Shifts and Grins Rampage that has run at Bonneville. This from 2000:
World of Speed Event Records
September 20-23, 2000
NO. ENTRY NAME         ENGINE   BODY OLD RECORD RECORD SPEED DRIVER
558 Four Shifts & Grins  F          MMPP Open           122.035          Paul Patterson

Also, as Steve and Bill posted, for MMP you cannot convert FWD to RWD and mine will retain the FWD.
In my original post I only mentioned Wilmington and the ECTA but when I do get this running, I do plan a trip out to Bonneville.

Chris - Yes, it will be FWD and the engine swap will be a 2004 Neon SRT4 turbo and will run as F/BMMP. Unfortunately, with the turbo, it will not be as loud as your Midget was at Maxton.  :-D

Don - I will keep that in mind but plan on running the full cover in the beginning.

DS - Thanks for the link.....Good information.

Doug - When I started this project, the left side helmet rule did not exist. This will be addressed next month when I take it to Rod Crafters.

Again, many thanks for the kind words,
Gregg
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 07:33:43 AM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 08:48:07 AM »
Dave (fastman614)

I just remembered this post and this will answer your question about Rampages being legal.
Post #16 by jpm49c is an email from Mike Manghelli and this is the same response I got from him as well.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10488.15.html

Gregg

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »
Gregg,

Nice looking build, great pics and details.

I look forward to seeing your Rampage up here in the shop next month.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 11:54:14 AM »
On the subject of bed covers, this is worth looking at .... http://www.trucktestdigest.com/TTDfeatures/FeatureTailgateUporDown.htm

Nice build,  nice diary,  good pictures. 

Thanks for posting it.

ds

Have a peek here, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmU-dcK9Q_0
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline krusty

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 12:06:13 PM »

Gregg - Nice looking cage! I would rivet an aluminum angle diagonal to each segment of the bed cover to help  keep them from "oilcanning" ( and adding drag). Learned this ages ago in Craftsman trucks. Perhaps I'll see your build in person in Welcome if I make a visit to Charles this off-season.     vic

Offline stratman59

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 12:17:03 PM »
Gregg,

Glad to see you working on the Rampage again!!!  :-D
I have been going to get up there and check it out but have had some health issues along with my dad.
If you need any help let me know.
Later,
Robbie