Author Topic: LSR = Land Speed Rampage  (Read 172572 times)

gkabbt

Re: LSR = Land Speed Rampage
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2012, 07:33:03 PM »
Gregg  good work,,,when are you bringing/coming up to the shop?

Last I spoke with Larry, he thought later this month ??

Charles

Charles,
I talked with Larry this morning and it's a go for me to bring the Rampage Monday 01/16 .
I'm going to have him and his guys doing quite a few odds and ends and lots of bodywork.
Hopefully, we will run into each other during the truck's vacation there, LOL.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2012, 07:38:01 PM »
What I may do, however, is modify the LCA or weld on a raised mount for the lower balljoint, effectively raising the balljoint position while keeping the arms level.

Hi
Changing the height of the lower balljoint mount on the LCA won't work, it's the geometry of the centre of the lower balljoint & the LCA pivots that is important, not the shape of the piece of metal joining them.

If you want to lower further & keep the LCA geometry reasonable you need to increase the distance between wheel/hub bearing & the lower balljoint.

Cheers
Jon

Jon,
Thanks for the input on the LCA info. Very helpful and duly noted. For this iteration of my truck, I will be using stock items.
Gregg
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:41:40 PM by gkabbt »

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
Gregg  good work,,,when are you bringing/coming up to the shop?

Last I spoke with Larry, he thought later this month ??

Charles

Charles,
I talked with Larry this morning and it's a go for me to bring the Rampage Monday 01/16 .
I'm going to have him and his guys doing quite a few odds and ends and lots of bodywork.
Hopefully, we will run into each other during the truck's vacation there, LOL.

Gregg

Gregg,

Are you going to have Larry paint the truck too ?  and yes I am in and out of the shop alot.. especially on Friday afternoons.  building a 29 Roadster for a customer for Bonneville.. it is coming along.. hope to have rolling chassis done in 8 more weks.. you will see it Monda..

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

gkabbt

« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2012, 09:13:38 AM »
Charles,

I probably will have Larry paint it after all the other stuff is done.....So far 17 items on my list and growing.....EEK! (LOL)
Looking forward to getting it there tomorrow and also seeing the 29 Roadster.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2012, 07:47:30 AM »
Uneventful trip yesterday morning in getting the truck to Larry Shoaf's Rod Crafters in Welcome, NC.
Larry's shop is nestled among many buildings of RCR - Richard Childress Racing. As we were unloading the Rampage, several RCR employees were out walking and came over to look at the truck. Some nice comments were said.....Not really much but I thought it was very cool.
Got the truck inside and went over a list of things to be done on the truck. After we said our goodbyes and as I was leaving, I heard an engine running on a dyno in the R&D building about a block away and it was TOTALLY AWESOME  :cheers: ....A NASCAR engine on a dyno is not something you hear in my neck of the woods.

Gregg

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2012, 11:16:06 AM »
Gregg,

Glad you got the truck to the shop... Sorry I was slammed all day and never made it there.  Yes being situated between all those RCR shops is nice,,... I keep waiting for one of those R&D motors to fall off the truck next door  :evil: :evil:

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

gkabbt

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »

I keep waiting for one of those R&D motors to fall off the truck next door  :evil: :evil:

Charles

Charles,

Here is an idea for you:  :mrgreen:
Take the engine out of your car and push it out to Industrial Drive.
With the hood up, have a sign that says "WILL RACE WITH YOUR ENGINE FOR FREE" and see what happens.  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

Sorry, couldn't help myself.....LOL.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »
Minor and MAJOR updates.

Minor
Had the day off yesterday (working for a Bank has it's perks sometimes) so I rode out to Welcome to see what Rod Crafters has been doing to my truck. Unfortunately, Larry had not done anything to my truck and I was OK with that. He had other projects he was working on when I dropped mine off and he was finishing up some of those. He told me he was going to start late next week.

MAJOR
As I have posted several times before, I have been looking for Mopar Direct Connection headlight covers for 2 1/2 - 3 years with no luck.
At a suggestion from Peter Jack earlier in this thread about fabricating some covers, I called Dan Warner on 2/16 and asked the question. He immediately came back with a big fat NO on fabricating some saying that I could only run the Mopar ones. When I hung up the phone I was dejected because I have been looking for quite a while.
Just for giggles I went to Google, again, and did a search for headlight covers with no luck. Next I the put in the Mopar part number P4120806 and started looking at what was returned. When I got to the 4th or 5th page I saw a link to eBay. I thought to myself that this was going to be an auction that ended 4 - 5 years ago but when I clicked on the link I just about had a heart attack. This was an active auction and the seller had 3 pairs of these covers. I did the buy now thing for 1 pair and then did the PayPal thing. The following morning, I called the seller and told him I wanted to get 2 pair and not just one.
I just received these today and all I can say is incredible. One box had been opened and the other had not.....Remember these are probably 25 - 30 years old and are in mint condition.

Ad from eBay:

Both boxes:

Part number:

Instructions:

Both covers:

Gaskets, mounting brackets and fastners:

I got these from  http://www.mmpar.com/StoreVBVS2011/default.aspx?CategoryID=24&selection=8 so if anyone is looking vintage NOS Mopar  parts, I definately recommend them. Very easy to work with and very fast shipping.

Gregg

P.S.
I called Dan back after I did the buy it now thing on eBay and told him he must have been my good lucky charm......Guess I should have played the lottery as well, LOL.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2012, 11:35:48 AM »
Steve,

LOL, LOL, LOL!

You have been mighty quiet lately.....How is you build coming?

Gregg

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2012, 11:55:13 AM »
Those rare parts - TOO COOL.

Sometimes the order gets reversed.  I bought the factory hard top for the Midget almost two years before I was able to locate the car to put under it.

You were smart to grab those spares.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:57:10 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »
Mine is still moving along.  Last weekend, I picked up 3 VW diesel engines and a transmission - hopefully I can make 1 good drivetrain from the parts.  I bent the main hoop and halo bar for my cage, and welded in some more square tubing for the subframes.  My next step is to weld in some sheet steel where I had to cut out part of the original floor.  Hopefully I'll get some time to work on it this weekend.

Steve.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2012, 01:20:27 PM »
Gregg, keep the boxes and pictures of the box showing they are Mopar parts, with parts number and history.

Good Find,,

I wish I had know you where coming to the shop this past Monday,,,It would have been nice to grab a chat over lunch,, I too was off and bouncing between the 3 shops on projects.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

gkabbt

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2012, 08:58:58 PM »
Chris,
Yep, definately rare parts and being NOS on top of that....Really Cool to me as well.
I kinda hate to use these since they are so rare.....NAAAAAA!  :evil:  and spares are good.

Steve,
Like all of us.....Progress, whether fast or slow, is still progress.

Charles,
That is why I called Dan back after I did the buy it now thing. I needed to know what kind of documentation he would be looking for.

Sorry for not getting with you when I went to Larry's but it really was a spur of the moment thing. I'm planning on going back out in about a month so let's try to get together then. I would like to get you feedback about my truck.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2012, 10:21:22 AM »
Gregg:

Did you re-use the factory rear spring/axle U-bolts, or buy new ones?  I've been looking for a set to work with the existing square tube axle and spring plate, but haven't been able to find a commercially available match.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve.