Author Topic: LSR = Land Speed Rampage  (Read 173024 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: LSR = Land Speed Rampage
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »
Gregg:
   It looks like you have done the "axle flip" modification, correct?  Also, I'm curious about your 5-lug conversion.  Did you replace the entire stub axles, along with the hubs and brakes from a later model Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth vehicle?  I'm not sure if it's possible to use the original 4-lug stub axles, and then bolt on the 5-lug hubs and brakes.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »
Yes, I have done the axle flip and also got rid of the spring proportioning valve thingy.

You probably have not started the axle flip so here are some good posts from turbo-mopar.com
Start with post #248
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?44294-1984-Rampage-Rebuild-Project-R-age/page13

When you do the flip the axle moves forward 1" and this thread shows what Adam did. Start with post #550 and pay attention to post #558
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?44294-1984-Rampage-Rebuild-Project-R-age/page28
My last picture on on post #74 on the previous page in this thread kind of shows it.

Work in progress - post #627:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?44294-1984-Rampage-Rebuild-Project-R-age/page32

Here is the final outcome - post #650
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?44294-1984-Rampage-Rebuild-Project-R-age/page33

I have not done what Adam did in the above links but am seriously considering it.

As for the 5 lug question, I got the stub axles all the way out from a 1991 LeBaron GTC. These are the 11" vented rotors and will be a nice match for the SRT4 fronts I will be using.

As usual, hope this helps.
Gregg

P.S.
You think we have rust, start at the beginning of the links I posted and see what Adam started with.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:58:35 PM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2012, 08:52:58 PM »
Yes, I have done the axle flip and also got rid of the spring proportioning valve thingy.

I have not done what Adam did in the above links but am seriously considering it.

As usual, hope this helps.
Gregg

P.S.
You think we have rust, start at the beginning of the links I posted and see what Adam started with.

Gregg - As usual, that was helpful.  I had already read all the way through the project R'Age, and took note of the axle positioning issue.  Since I haven't taken mine apart yet, I haven't been able to visualize why the axle ends up farther forward, but I'll bet it will become apparent when I separate the axle tube from the springs.  The offset adapter plate he shows in that thread looks like it would work.  That seems preferable to drilling through the springs, which I don't think is a good idea.

After the axle flip, it looks like shorter shock absorbers will be on the "must have" list.  I'm thinking about removing a leaf or two from the pack, and running some kind of short coil-over shocks to fine tune the ride height and spring rate (still noodling on this issue).

His Rampage was certainly a rust bucket, and he did a very nice job of bringing it back to life.  What's surprised me was how much rust he had on the roof, above the door openings.  The only substantial rust on mine is in the footwells.  Sure, there is some other minor (by Midwest standards) rust on my chassis , but nothing like a rusted out roof. 

Thanks as always,

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2012, 09:15:49 PM »
Steve
I don't know how much research you have done so that is why I posted those links.
Like I posted earlier, I am seriously considering moving the axle just for tire clearance. I have not done anything with rear shocks but, like your thinking, they will need to be a little shorter. I have also been thinking of air bag shocks.....This is what WGBR is using on their VW.

About the rusty Rampage, I had emailed him 2 weeks ago asking about some parts and he told me when he finished the R'Age he was going to put it up for sale! After all that work!!! WTF?

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Gregg

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2012, 10:14:36 PM »
Gregg  good work,,,when are you bringing/coming up to the shop?

Last I spoke with Larry, he thought later this month ??

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

gkabbt

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2012, 04:44:44 AM »
Charles,
I am suppose to give Larry a call next Wednesday the 11th to see if he has room and if so I will be bringing it out on Monday the 16th.
We'll just have to see what happens. I hope things work out because the 16th is a Holiday for me. If it is later in the month, so be it.
As I have said before, I'm really looking forward to having him and his guys work some magic on my truck.

Gregg

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »
Curious if the space saver will clear a Moon Disc?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2012, 04:56:14 PM »
I'd rather have good scrub radius than a Moon disc.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

gkabbt

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2012, 05:36:31 AM »
I took off the front fenders a couple of weeks ago so I rolled the Rampage out to the driveway to do some power washing and get it ready for it's trip to Rod Crafters later this month.

This picture shows how the axle flip moves the wheel forward about 1 inch.

Mug shot.

Adjusting, lowering and whoaing (LOL).

Caster / Camber plate

BC coilover shock - Gen 2 Neon SRT4

Gen 2 Neon SRT4 brakes

Back inside, this shows the axle flip and 11" LeBaron vented rotors

As usual, comments welcome.
Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2012, 08:57:45 AM »
Very nice looking work.  I'll be particularly interested to see how the 2nd gen Neon front end stuff works out.  From some of the turbo dodge websites, the 2nd gen neon suspension is somewhere between the factory L-body and the 1st gen neon suspension in terms of ride height.

It will be interesting to see if you can get the car low enough without bottoming out the struts.  If you can, that means that the whole 2nd gen neon front suspension (from balljoint up) can be used successfully.

I am planning to use K-Car spindles, 1st gen neon struts, and hopefully some kind of coilover setup (to be determined), in order to get the ride height low enough.

Great looking camber/caster plates also.  Are those commercially available for another application, or custom 1-offs?

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2012, 08:02:16 AM »
Steve,
As you probably know, when these L-Body's are lowered they do not like to have the LCA's any higher than parallel to the ground or some funky geometry stuff will start to happen. You can correct this by dealing with the K-frame (moving it up) but in this iteration of my truck, I am going to use stock and that is why I went with the Gen 2 SRT4 stuff. As you said, "somewhere between the factory L-body and the 1st gen neon suspension in terms of ride height". I went with the BC coilovers because of the inverted design and hopefully I will not bottom out the struts. Look them up and I think you will agree.

And now it's linky time again  :-D

These guys have done the Gen 1 and Gen 2 swaps and it has really great information. You do have to register to view.
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?2845-How-To-Neon-Struts-on-a-L-Body
Read this whole thread and pay attention to page 9....Gen 2 stuff on an Omni.
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?1521-How-To-Neon-Struts-and-Daytona-knuckles-on-a-L-body

As for the caster/camber plates, I got them from Rich Bryant and they came with the BC coilovers I bought from him. Very good guy to work with and very knowledgeable about TD's.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?53473-Official-BC-Coilover-Kit-Development-Interest

As usual, hope this helps.   :cheers:
Gregg
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:32:23 AM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »
Yeppers, I am registered at Boosted Mopar and have read through those threads.  I try to learn as much as possible about these things before I get too far in.  It sounds like you are like-minded.  No matter how much research is done, however, it seems like you can never find someone who has done exactly what you are trying to accomplish.  The good news is that so many of the Chrysler suspension parts are interchangeable between vehicles and generations.

I have an idea in mind to use the K-car spindles, 1st Gen neon struts, and a coilover conversion (either air or spring).  The LCA geometry is a concern (going above horizontal as you have described).  My fear is that using an entire 2nd gen Neon setup (from balljoint up) would not allow enough lowering.  Your coilover setup may allow for enough lowering.  Like you, I intend to keep the K-frame in the stock location for this build.  What I may do, however, is modify the LCA or weld on a raised mount for the lower balljoint, effectively raising the balljoint position while keeping the arms level.  I have plenty of work to do before I get to that point.

gkabbt

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »
Glad you have seen the Boosted Mopar stuff.....Really good information.
I agree with you on the interchange thing. It's been absolutely amazing to me to find how well old and new work together.

As I said before, I might do some K-Frame work in the future.

I'll keep this thread updated as I get things done.

C'Ya,
Gregg

Offline Jon

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2012, 07:35:43 AM »
What I may do, however, is modify the LCA or weld on a raised mount for the lower balljoint, effectively raising the balljoint position while keeping the arms level. 

Hi
Changing the height of the lower balljoint mount on the LCA won't work, it's the geometry of the centre of the lower balljoint & the LCA pivots that is important, not the shape of the piece of metal joining them.

If you want to lower further & keep the LCA geometry reasonable you need to increase the distance between wheel/hub bearing & the lower balljoint.

Cheers
Jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SteveM

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2012, 08:25:23 AM »
Good point about the geometry.  In that case, using the later K-car ('91 up) spindles is the better choice, as the distance from the C/L of the axle to the lower ball joint is increased over earlier K, G, or L car spindles.

Steve.