Author Topic: LSR = Land Speed Rampage  (Read 172897 times)

gkabbt

Re: LSR = Land Speed Rampage
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2011, 07:41:53 AM »
GKABBT- nice work.

PV

Thanks for the kind words. I hope it only gets better  :-D

Gregg

Offline JR529

« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2011, 11:45:44 AM »

It has the headlights and the turn signals covered.

Pay particular attention to the front of the 7550 car. Headlight covers and the turn signals have been covered as well. Steve told me the turn signals are there, just covered and they are legal. Not really meaning to repeat myself again but, remember, he has been running this car for many years in PRO. The one thing that cannot be modified are the grille openings and this is true for my Rampage as well. I asked Dan about that and he came back with a big fat NO. That would a bump into ALT.

Gregg

It does seem odd that someone said that was legal for production. I was under the impression that any non-OEM covering on the nose is illegal in production.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2011, 12:24:34 PM »
I think the reason that they are allowed is that they are OEM parts. Direct Connection / Mopar Performance parts would have been available through the Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth dealers, and at least available as Dealer installed options on any of the Charger/Rampage/024/TC3/Turismo/Scamps. 

I doubt that many of them were actually installed by the dealer at the time of purchasing the vehicle, but that is beside the point that they could have been ordered as original equipment on the cars/trucks.  Most were probably sold over the counter from the dealership parts dept.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2011, 12:26:23 PM »
This is the Direct Connection catalog that I got off of eBay that has some really cool stuff in it.

Headlight covers and part numbers.

And a better picture of kinda sorta what I want my Rampage to look like only lower and without the roof spoiler (which is also impossible to find).

Gregg

Does that catalog include the "kit" to replace the front K-member of a Charger-etc. with a tubular K-member designed for V8 rear wheel drive conversion?  I know that the catalog I used to have (back in the 80's) offered such a kit.

gkabbt

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »
I'll check my catalog when I get home today and let you know.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2011, 09:00:13 PM »
The only thing that is in this catalog about K member(s) is:
P4007935 for installing a B or Raised B engine in A bodied Duster or Dart ('67 to '76).

I did not see anything like you were asking about  :-(.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »
Thanks Gregg.  Now I need to dig through the boxes in my basement to see if I still have that old catalog.

Steve.

Offline JR529

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2011, 10:32:49 PM »
I think the reason that they are allowed is that they are OEM parts. Direct Connection / Mopar Performance parts would have been available through the Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth dealers, and at least available as Dealer installed options on any of the Charger/Rampage/024/TC3/Turismo/Scamps.  

I doubt that many of them were actually installed by the dealer at the time of purchasing the vehicle, but that is beside the point that they could have been ordered as original equipment on the cars/trucks.  Most were probably sold over the counter from the dealership parts dept.

Steve.

I understand your point but Section 5E (the Production class introduction) of the rule book says;
"The cars are aerodynamically "Stone Stock" with no body parts allowed which were not part of the manufacturers production for the series of the vehicle involved" and... "A manufacturers part number does not constitute an original, factory installed body part".

So the question looks to be if a dealer installed Direct Connection part is a "factory" production part.

Regardless of the status of the headlight covers, the turn signal covers and the lower air dam opening being blocked off was more of what I was talking about and the picture of the Direct Connection rampage sure does not have them covered.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:35:33 PM by JR529 »

gkabbt

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2011, 05:15:02 AM »
JR529,
Thanks for posting that section of the rule book. My chassis guy still has mine so I could not look it up.
I figured that was what you were talking about yesterday and that I why I posted the comments like I did.
Maybe when DW gets back from Holiday in the Bahamas, he will chime in.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2011, 05:21:54 AM »
Thanks Gregg.  Now I need to dig through the boxes in my basement to see if I still have that old catalog.

Steve.

If you are looking for a tubular K-frame, get in touch with Brian Slowe as he is making these for the TD cars.
Here is his link on the turbo-mopar site: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?56319-Tubular-K-frames-now-available

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2011, 10:13:53 AM »
I'm not looking for a K-frame, I was just remembering back when drag racers were converting Shelby Chargers, and later Daytonas into rear wheel drive.  I'm 99% certain that Direct Connection made a K-frame arrangement that included most of what was needed to put a V8 in a longitudinal orientation into one of these cars.  

I'm not looking to do that, just exercising my memory.

That is a good looking piece of work from the guy on the Turbo Dodge board.

Steve.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:16:26 AM by SteveM »

Offline stratman59

« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2011, 12:35:18 PM »
Steve

You are right  they make a v-8 conversion k-frame back in 88-89
not sure how long after that
later
Robbie

gkabbt

« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »

I understand your point but Section 5E (the Production class introduction) of the rule book says;
"The cars are aerodynamically "Stone Stock" with no body parts allowed which were not part of the manufacturers production for the series of the vehicle involved" and... "A manufacturers part number does not constitute an original, factory installed body part".

So the question looks to be if a dealer installed Direct Connection part is a "factory" production part.

Regardless of the status of the headlight covers, the turn signal covers and the lower air dam opening being blocked off was more of what I was talking about and the picture of the Direct Connection rampage sure does not have them covered.

It does seem odd that someone said that was legal for production. I was under the impression that any non-OEM covering on the nose is illegal in production.

JR529

I just looked back through some of my old emails and had asked a question about covering the lower grille opening and turn signals from the rules committee. CRS kicked in and evidently I forgot it... LOL.
The answer I got back was: An air dam is legal in Gas Coupe , modified category. The turn signals can be covered by an air dam, but the grill opening below the bumper is not legal to cover with an air dam ref 5.D pg 61 (This would have been from a 2009 rule book).

I think this answers the questions on covering the turn signals and the lowest opening on the air dam.
Gregg
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:41:22 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2011, 06:49:39 PM »
Steve,

With what Robbie posted,

Steve

You are right  they make a v-8 conversion k-frame back in 88-89
not sure how long after that
later
Robbie

would probably be why it is not in my 1985 catalog...Just a guess.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2012, 08:40:03 AM »
Updating with some pictures of space saver wheels on the rear of my Rampage.

These are 5X100 and, if I remember correctly, from a 1990's Chrysler cloud car.

Gregg