Author Topic: LSR = Land Speed Rampage  (Read 172988 times)

gkabbt

Re: LSR = Land Speed Rampage
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2013, 06:26:07 AM »
Sometimes it's good to get away and clear the cobwebs. Nothing done over the past few days as my Wife and I got together with some friends in Myrtle Beach, SC.  Rest assured that good times were had by all. :cheers:  

Some good news when I got home and checked my email. The front tubular lower control arms I have been waiting for since last October are "supposed" to ship at the end of the week. All this is perfect timing as the LCA's, tubular k-frame and rear axle need to go to the powder coater. While that is being done, I can finish cleaning and painting the underside thanks to the rotisserie.

So, out to the garage in a little while and get the truck sideways and start having fun!   :-D

Gregg
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:38:40 AM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2013, 02:02:18 PM »
Live it up, Gregg.  We can't wait to see pics of the Rampage in a sideways position.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Tman

« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »
Live it up, Gregg.  We can't wait to see pics of the Rampage in a sideways position.

Steve.

Sideways? It's a mini truck Steve not a roadster! :-D

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2013, 02:48:05 PM »

Steve.

Sideways? It's a mini truck Steve not a roadster! :-D

Trent, good thing the roadster guy can't read or they might get pizzed at that one. :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

gkabbt

« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2013, 06:21:25 AM »
HF.....Ya gotta love 'em,

I finally got time to get to the garage yesterday afternoon to work on the truck.
When I picked up the rotisserie from Steve, he showed me that the rear long ram hydraulic jack was having issues so I decided to replace it.
Before getting the truck sideways yeaterday, the main agenda was to replace the rear hydraulic jack with the new one that I bought last Thursday. 
I get the "new" one out of the box and it works about as good as the one being replaced.
Soooooo, back to HF this morning to exchange and this one will be tested at the store.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2013, 08:39:02 AM »
Good planning, Gregg.  I probably would have returned the original one, but I didn't find the flaw until after I had cut the mounting ears off the end of the cylinder.

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2013, 01:21:30 PM »
Houston.....we've gone.....errrrr.....SIDEWAYS!

Another small step for mankind! 

Got the truck sideways late yesterday and then this morning got the k-frame and rear axle off. Now doing the wire wheel cleaning thing.
Also, yesterday I ordered the Mastercoat Series metal prep and primer for when I am through cleaning.

I don't know if I have said this enough but THANKS AGAIN STEVE!   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:

Gregg
PS
Let's hope that this is the only time we see the underside of the truck..... :-D

Offline SteveM

« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2013, 01:35:40 PM »
No problem on the rotisserie loan.  Thank you for the goodies you left behind.

Your Rampage looks relatively rust free on the underside.  It will look fantastic after the Mastercoat stuff has been applied.

If you are interested in knowing, I just found out that 1/4" x 2-1/4" clevis pins make a good replacement for the factory roll pins in the door hinges, and can be removed without too much trouble.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
Looks great underneath!

gkabbt

« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2013, 07:47:26 AM »
Yeah, it is relatively rust free as Rod Crafters took care of the major rust areas last year.
All I'm doing now is cleaning off the surface and so I can get the Mastercoat applied.

Steve, thanks for the tip on the clevis pins. I still haven't made up my mind if I'm going that route as you said the stock pins were a pain to get out.

Gregg

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »

Let's hope that this is the only time we see the underside of the truck..... :-D

Roll cages are meant to be seen, not tested.  :wink:

That is remarkably clean for a 30 year old Chrysler unibody.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

gkabbt

« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2013, 08:08:16 AM »
Christmas in April as I hit the Dodge L-body front suspension trifecta.
As you can imagine, performance/racing parts for the Dodge L-body are pretty non-existant.
Luckily we have several vendors that do make several specialty items and Friday I finally got my last front suspension stuff.

A little history first.
About 1 1/2 years ago I got these BC inverted coilovers and caster/camber plates from Rich Bryant in Phoenix. He is RBryant on turbo-mopar.com.

Then, last September, I got this K-frame from Brian Slowe Racing in Philadelphia. He is turbo2point2 on turbo-mopar.com:

Last Friday, these Lower Control Arms came in from D.J. Elford - Race Tailored Engineering Inc. in Edmondton, Alberta.
He is turboshad on turbo-mopar.com.
I've been waiting on these since last October:

The new K-frame and LCA's replace the factory stamped steel ones which are heavy, prone to rust and sometimes having welds break.

Tomorrow, the K-frame, LCA's, rear axle and several other doo-dads are off to the powder coater.

All in all, pretty happy with finally getting all these parts although they are niche market items and were not cheap.....read $$$$  :-o  :-D  

Now, work update:
I've gotten about 3/4 of the underside wire brushed and only found two tiny rust areas. Need to finish the front frame rails and then the engine bay. Also, I need to weld up a few small holes in the cab floor pan.

After that is completed I will put on the Mastercoat Series metal prep and primer:

Cool little tidbit:
Back in January I needed a new large thumb drive to transfer data from my desktop to my laptop so I got a SanDisk 16GB one from Target. When I opened it there was a blurb that said that when I registered it I would be eligible to win a trip to Hawaii during their 25th anniversary celebration. So, I go to their website and do the registeration. As I am finishing, a window popped up and said that I was now eligible for instant prizes. Then, a slot machine popped up and said that I had 10 sets of 5 spins or 50 total spins. So, I start to play! On my 4th spin in the 1st set, the spin gave me Camera, Camera, Camera. I continue on and in the 7th set a spin gave me SD Card, SD Card, SD Card. I continue on again and in the 9th set a spin gave me Camera Bag, Camera Bag, Camera Bag. I checked my emil and I had 3 that told me of the prizes that I had won and that SanDisk would be in touch within a week. Sure enough, they did get in touch with release forms that I had to sign and told me the prizes were on the way. The 1st week of April I did get the prizes.

GoPro Hero 2 Surf Edition:

I didn't take it out to get a pic but I did get a 32GB HDSD Card:

Camera Bag:

Retail value is around $450.00. I did end up buying the Roll Cage mount as I could not use any of the mounts from the Surf stuff.

Maybe I need to play the Lottery! :wink:  :lol:  8-)  :-D

Gregg

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:28:20 AM by gkabbt »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2013, 09:53:18 AM »
Nice score, Gregg!

Car is coming along great!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

gkabbt

« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2013, 10:08:13 AM »

Car is coming along great!

Buddy, Buddy, Buddy.....It's a truck, not a car!  :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2013, 10:17:26 AM »