Author Topic: LSR = Land Speed Rampage  (Read 172569 times)

gkabbt

Re: LSR = Land Speed Rampage
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2013, 08:02:46 PM »
Every time I see a Rampage, my heart skips a beat - I'm either weird that way or I need to see a cardiologist.

I miss both of mine - now more than ever.

Watching these two very similar and very different builds is really inspiring, and I expect that this could easily get turned into some press for both of you.

Usually you'd have to build your own rotisserie for a build like this - but you were able to BORROW one!  Only in Land Speed Racing!

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

I know what you mean about seeing a Rampage and I'm with you on the heart skipping a beat thing.

Start searching around, they are out there.....Probably with rotten floors but they are out there.
Get one and then you, Steve and me can be the Three Amigos!   ROTFLMAO
As a side note, there is an extremely rare Plymouth Scamp in my local junkyard that I have tried to buy but they will NOT sell complete cars.   :?

Press would be cool for the Rampage Brothers!   :-D

How cool is the rotisserie thing? As I posted earlier, all I am having to do is make minor tweaks.....WAY COOL and as you said, only in LSR.
Again, many thanks to SteveM.   :cheers:

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2013, 12:44:43 PM »
Terry thinks that this Rampage would make a great get-around driver for his younger son, who is 16.

See, with all your Rampage doings, now you've gone and corrupted Terry!   :evil:

Looks to be in pretty good shape and a good sign as well. Did you check out the floors?.....Just had to ask!  :-D

Gregg

Of course, I had to lay on the ground and check out the floors.  There are 2 holes rusted all the way through, probably about 3" x 4".  The good news is that the subframe rails looked good.  The floorpan section is much easier to patch/replace than the subframe rails.

Steve
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2013, 01:50:45 PM »
Terry thinks that this Rampage would make a great get-around driver for his younger son, who is 16.
Looks to be in pretty good shape and a good sign as well. Did you check out the floors?.....Just had to ask!  :-D

Gregg

Of course, I had to lay on the ground and check out the floors.  There are 2 holes rusted all the way through, probably about 3" x 4".  The good news is that the subframe rails looked good.  The floorpan section is much easier to patch/replace than the subframe rails.

Steve

Pretty much sounds like mine.....Floors only and no framerail issues.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2013, 01:59:41 PM »
Houston, we have lift off!

I got the Rampage lifted off the jackstands and onto the rotisserie. One small step for man!  :-D

Hopefully, I'll get it sideways tomorrow.

Gregg

Offline Duck-Stew

« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2013, 02:07:07 PM »
Awesome Gregg!  :-D
Team UnorthoDUX

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2013, 02:25:27 PM »
I alway thought that Gregg had Altitude :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline tauruck

« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2013, 02:40:01 PM »
Ha ha, nice one Capt. :-D Once those Rampages go on the rotisserie it's all over. Bonneville might see it's first drag race. Good going Gregg, your shop got cleaned up in a jiffy.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »
Looks great, Gregg.  Just FYI, on the front mount, I had the bracket in the "lowest" possible hole on the rotisserie swingarm (body at it's highest position).  I don't remember which hole on the back, but you may be able to tell by the bite mark for the setscrew. 

That position gave the most neutral balance.  I was able to rotate the thing to any position, and still get the 3/8" bolts in place on the rotating ends, all by myself.

It looks like you have caught your second wind on this project.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2013, 03:05:58 PM »
Awesome Gregg!  :-D
Ha ha, nice one Capt. :-D Once those Rampages go on the rotisserie it's all over. Bonneville might see it's first drag race. Good going Gregg, your shop got cleaned up in a jiffy.

Thanks for the comments.....Altitude included!  :-D   :-D   :-D

Yeah Mike, cleanup took a while. I had a bunch of totes that I had to move upstairs in the barn that the garage is attached to.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2013, 03:13:40 PM »
Looks great, Gregg.  Just FYI, on the front mount, I had the bracket in the "lowest" possible hole on the rotisserie swingarm (body at it's highest position).  I don't remember which hole on the back, but you may be able to tell by the bite mark for the setscrew. 

That position gave the most neutral balance.  I was able to rotate the thing to any position, and still get the 3/8" bolts in place on the rotating ends, all by myself.

It looks like you have caught your second wind on this project.

Steve.

Thanks for the tip on positioning. I just looked and the front is now 3 holes up from the lowest position. I'll change that tomorrow.
Today was just the exercise to get it off the jackstands!
I also feel like I have gotten my second wind and I have you to thank for that. The main thing was trying to deal with the underside while the truck was on jackstands.
I'm getting to old for that Shit. Now with the rotisserie, things are back in full swing.

Gregg

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »
For you "Rampage"ous people, there's an article in the May 2013 Hemmings "Classic Cars on your truckettes.  Only three pages, light on facts as most of their articles are, the featured vehicle has a 2.2 Turbo motor supposedly installed by a Chrysler factory exec.

Quote on stockers -- "Sept. 1982 Popular Mechanics . . . compared the Rampage's handling to contemporary Porches and Ferraris."  Blah, blah, blah.

On another note -- "Hmmmmmm" -- GM makes a Chevy (not a Chevrolet) in Mexico that appears very similar in size and concept to the Mopar.  The farther south you go, the more you see.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2013, 06:33:30 PM »
Don't call em truckettes Stan, you may hurt the Brothers feelings :-D

gkabbt

« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
Don't call em truckettes Stan, you may hurt the Brothers feelings :-D

LMAO Trent!.....At least Stan did not call them CARS as the Midget did 2 pages back.  :-D

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2013, 07:32:20 PM »
For you "Rampage"ous people, there's an article in the May 2013 Hemmings "Classic Cars on your truckettes.  Only three pages, light on facts as most of their articles are, the featured vehicle has a 2.2 Turbo motor supposedly installed by a Chrysler factory exec.

Quote on stockers -- "Sept. 1982 Popular Mechanics . . . compared the Rampage's handling to contemporary Porches and Ferraris."  Blah, blah, blah.

On another note -- "Hmmmmmm" -- GM makes a Chevy (not a Chevrolet) in Mexico that appears very similar in size and concept to the Mopar.  The farther south you go, the more you see.

Stan, thanks for the Hemmings tip about Rampages.
 "Sept. 1982 Popular Mechanics . . . compared the Rampage's handling to contemporary Porches and Ferraris." .....REALLY ROTFLMAO!
Interesting on the Chevy.....I'll do a search on that.

Gregg

I guess Steve and I need to be renamed the "Rampage"ous Brothers  :-D

EDIT:
Link to Chevy Tornado Pickup Truck - Mexico
http://trucks.about.com/od/makesandmodels/ss/trucks_world.htm
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:10:18 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2013, 05:39:04 AM »
Not really anything to post as I was not able to get in the garage yesterday.
I forgot that I had some "Yes Dear, Honey Do" running around to do with the Wife yesterday!
Luckily, I was able to get to Harbor Freight and pickup some supplies, so all was not lost.

Steve, I picked up another long ram hydraulic jack and will be replacing the one at the rear of the rotisserie.

Gregg