Author Topic: LSR = Land Speed Rampage  (Read 173022 times)

gkabbt

Re: LSR = Land Speed Rampage
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2012, 06:08:13 AM »
A potential issue was pointed out in another thread about how the upper part of my seat mounts in the truck.

As you can see in the pictures below, the upper part of the seat bolts to 1 1/2" X 4 1/2" - 1/4" steel plate on each side.

This was brought to my attention:
In the picture where the two gussets are shown, there is a very rigid looking plate welded to the hoop directly below. This concerns me in that it appears that it might be in the general region of your head or helmet. Please look at it critically and ensure in the case of a tumble that it won't make contact in any way with your helmet as it would probably penetrate and do severe damage to your skull.

The suggestion was:
If it was mine or I was building the cage, I would make the plate no thicker than the aluminum plate that's attached to it and would at least roll down the edge of the plate facing the seat or design it so it partially collapsed so that there would be less chance of penetration and more surface area to distribute the potential blow.

This is something I had never seen / noticed and I will be making changes per his suggestion.

Just wanted to share and hope this might help future builds.

Gregg

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2012, 01:21:46 PM »
Since Steve brought this thread back to the top, I figured I would give an update as to where I am with my Rampage.

Unfortunately, not a lot has been done since I got it back from Rod Crafters.

My wife retired in September and we (read mainly, I) have been doing WAY to many honey-do's in the house, on the house and in the yard. She's been working me like a Dodge dog....Maybe she needs to go back to work, LOL! The good thing is most of that is out of the way so now I can concentrate on the Rampage. Also, during this time, we have managed to do some traveling so plenty of rest time, YEAH!

I've settled on an engine builder and I hope to get my engine to him in the next couple of weeks. Also, today, I am ordering the Master Coat Primer and getting to work with the wire brushes.

Time is ticking away but it will be ready for Wilmington in April and probably be Plum Crazy.

Gregg

See you in April!  Hopefully we can get pics of your Plum Crazy and my Plm Krze together!!!
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

gkabbt

« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2012, 07:25:19 AM »
See you in April!  Hopefully we can get pics of your Plum Crazy and my Plm Krze together!!!

Funny you should mention that. When I started thinking seriously about the Plum Crazy thing, I thought of your Challenger.
Pics together sounds COOL!

See you in April.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2013, 08:57:44 AM »
Update or lack of....

In my infinite wisdom (yeah right!) I thought I could easliy wire brush clean the underside of my truck while it is on jack stands. I must be getting to old for this Subaru as after about 5 minutes my arms were completely given out. I tried on several occasions to do this but finally said screw it. About 2 weeks ago I saw the post by SteveM that he had completed the underside of his truck including paint. I called him and asked about his rotisserie. He said he was finished with it and to come get it. Sooooo, last week I drove out to St. Louis and picked it up.

Rotisserie now at home in the Tar Heel state

I am going to put it back together and try to get my Rampage on it later today.....got to clean up the garage 1st (I got entirely to much crap!)  :-D
Many, many thanks to SteveM for this.  :cheers:  :cheers:

Also, two weeks ago I picked up this 1998 Neon 31th automatic transmission that is a direct bolt on to my 2005 SRT 4 engine:

With lockup converter:

I can swap transfer gears behind this cover to give me final drive ratios from 2.60 to 3.72 depending on the two choices of ring gear and pinion I have.....Kinda like a mini quick change. The mount shown is from an early l-body and allows this transmission to be directly bolted into my truck.

After seeing Steve's truck and talking with him last week, I'm really excited about getting back on mine.

Gregg
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:25:43 AM by gkabbt »

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2013, 10:00:15 AM »
Way cool Gregg, I ain't near as old as you and still can't deal with the scootin' around on the concete on my back, just not as fun as it was.Let me know if I can help, Me and Amy are about 2.5 hrs away. Just an afternoon ride for us.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

gkabbt

« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2013, 10:15:04 AM »
Way cool Gregg, I ain't near as old as you and still can't deal with the scootin' around on the concete on my back, just not as fun as it was.Let me know if I can help, Me and Amy are about 2.5 hrs away. Just an afternoon ride for us.

Yeah, the age thing can really be a "Bitch" sometimes.....Just can't do what we used to!
Will do on the offer and many thanks.

Gregg
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:17:14 AM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2013, 04:51:01 PM »
It was great to meet you on Saturday, Gregg.  Thanks again for the goodies you left behind.  I promise to put them to good use.

I can't wait to see the pics of your machine up on that rotisserie.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »
It was great to meet you on Saturday, Gregg.  Thanks again for the goodies you left behind.  I promise to put them to good use.

I can't wait to see the pics of your machine up on that rotisserie.

Steve.

Really great meeting you as well.  The parts were only starting to collect dust in my garage so I figured they needed to go to a good home.

Hopefully, pics will be up by Thursday.....Moving / cleaning stuff in my garage and about 1/2 way done.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2013, 05:10:30 AM »

It rained all day long, but then the sun came out around 6:30 or so.  A big rainbow was the result.  I took it as a sign...

Just remembered this little tidbit this morning:
After I left Steve's house Saturday, I was on the Interstate in Kentucky or Tennessee going South and saw a 82 or 83 Red Rampage going North (sorry, no pics).
This was the 1st Rampage I have seen on the road in a couple of years.....I kind of took it as my sign!  :-D

Gregg
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:35:32 AM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2013, 10:06:34 AM »
Gregg:
   There's something in the air.  How's this for a sign....

On Sunday, I went scrounging for VW 4-speeds with my neighbor Terry and his 18 year old son.  We paid a visit to a guy who is a collector/hoarder of VW stuff.  He lives on a 200 acre farm with a bunch of out-buildings full of stuff/junk.  Eventually, we found a VW 4-speed, still attached to an engine, stuck way in the back of one of his barns.  It was about 6 feet off the ground, tough to get to, and located behind 200 tons of old farm machinery and assorted other junk.  We gave up on the idea of pulling that trans, and decided to go have breakfast and check out a local junkyard (Speedway Auto Salvage, in Madison, IL).

So, we are sitting at the Eagle's Nest Cafe, in Bethalto, IL, about to pay our ticket and leave....

Parked one spot over from my pickup is an '84 Rampage, Prospector edition.  I asked "Who owns that Rampage" in the cafe, and they pointed to a guy sitting at the counter.  He says - "I'll make you a good deal on that Rampage", but never threw out a price, but he seems eager to show us all around the Rampage.  I got his number, and will give him a call soon.

Terry thinks that this Rampage would make a great get-around driver for his younger son, who is 16.

As you noted, Rampage sightings are becoming more and more rare, not that they were ever common to begin with.

I also took it as a sign.

Offline Tman

« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »
I saw a Rampage this weekend, RR Qtr was in primer and looked like the guy was actively working on it. But, today I had an even rarer sighting...........................a first Generation Fiero!!!!!!!!!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2013, 10:18:57 AM »
The junkyard I was at on Sunday had an entire section devoted to Fieros (probably 25 of them in there), and there was a later gen Fiero on the parking lot.  I guess Fiero guys know where to go for their parts.

gkabbt

« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »
Terry thinks that this Rampage would make a great get-around driver for his younger son, who is 16.

See, with all your Rampage doings, now you've gone and corrupted Terry!   :evil:

Looks to be in pretty good shape and a good sign as well. Did you check out the floors?.....Just had to ask!  :-D

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2013, 07:02:33 PM »
Had a pretty good day with no worthwhile pics.
Finished cleaning the garage out.....Yeah! (Have I ever said I have to much crap?  :?  )
Started on the front and rear body attachments for the rotisserie. Rear is done and the front needs minor tweaking which I'll finish tomorrow.
Hopefully by tomorrow night I'll have the truck in the air on the rotisserie.
Pics will come when I have lift off!   :-D

Gregg

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2013, 07:32:43 PM »
Every time I see a Rampage, my heart skips a beat - I'm either weird that way or I need to see a cardiologist.

I miss both of mine - now more than ever.

Watching these two very similar and very different builds is really inspiring, and I expect that this could easily get turned into some press for both of you.

Usually you'd have to build your own rotisserie for a build like this - but you were able to BORROW one!  Only in Land Speed Racing!

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: