Author Topic: LSR = Land Speed Rampage  (Read 172993 times)

gkabbt

Re: LSR = Land Speed Rampage
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2012, 06:55:14 AM »
Gregg:
   Here's my first attempt at a simulated Plum Crazy Rampage.  If you have a suitable pic of your truck (fully assembled), I can apply the same type of technique.  Let me know what you think....

Steve

Dude,
Many, many thanks and all I can say is WOW.....YOU DA MAN! I definately owe you some lively libations for this. You can pick them up at WoS 2013..... :cheers:  
I have been leaning heavily on doing a period correct factory Mopar Performance paint jobs like these:

but I REALLY do like the Plum Crazy. Time to think!!!!!
I do not have a side shot of my truck fully assembled so this will be fine.

Again, many thanks,
Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2012, 08:57:48 AM »
Gregg:
    The period correct paint jobs look fantastic, especially the Charger :-o  That Charger will haunt my dreams now.  I'll be picturing myeslf in some kind of Vintage road race category, blowing past Alfas, MG's, and the like.

Those MP paint jobs also look like a trememdous amount of work and money.  For my Rampage, I'm going to have to focus on getting this thing done in a quick and cost effective manner.  For a couple hundred bucks, I think I can have a SubLime catalyzed enamel paint job.

I think it would be very cool to see a SubLime Rampage and a Plum Crazy Rampage on the salt at the same time, as well, but don't want to exert any undue influence on your project.  They would look awesome, pitted alongside one another with that white salt background. 

Steve.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »
Gregg:
    The period correct paint jobs look fantastic, especially the Charger :-o  That Charger will haunt my dreams now.  I'll be picturing myeslf in some kind of Vintage road race category, blowing past Alfas, MG's, and the like.
Sorry to do that to you.....LOL! 

Those MP paint jobs also look like a trememdous amount of work and money.
I agree but I REALLY do like that paint scheme.   
    For my Rampage, I'm going to have to focus on getting this thing done in a quick and cost effective manner.  For a couple hundred bucks, I think I can have a SubLime catalyzed enamel paint job.
That seems like a VERY reasonable price.

I think it would be very cool to see a SubLime Rampage and a Plum Crazy Rampage on the salt at the same time, as well, but don't want to exert any undue influence on your project.  They would look awesome, pitted alongside one another with that white salt background.
I think you just did exert pressure  :-D  and I do agree 1000% that they would look awesome pitted next to each other at Bonneville.
Now, decisions, descisions!

Gregg

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2012, 09:45:09 AM »
Gregg:

Just FYI, that couple of hundred bucks is for my out of pocket cost for color, reducer, and hardener.  I'll have to do all the elbow work myself.  I've had pretty good results with the DuPont Nason line of paints.

Primer and sealer on the shelf, along with a milk crate full of wetordry paper and most of the other goodies required for a basic paint job.  I have done a few paint jobs, and they have turned out fine for "low budget" efforts.  I have access to some pretty nice equipment, and a location suitable for a low-dollar paint job (not at my house).

Some time in the early spring, I hope to be shooting paint.  At that point in time, the cage should be done, the suspension back on the truck, and the roof will be welded back together. 

Steve

gkabbt

« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2012, 09:47:39 AM »
Since Steve brought this thread back to the top, I figured I would give an update as to where I am with my Rampage.

Unfortunately, not a lot has been done since I got it back from Rod Crafters.

My wife retired in September and we (read mainly, I) have been doing WAY to many honey-do's in the house, on the house and in the yard. She's been working me like a Dodge dog....Maybe she needs to go back to work, LOL! The good thing is most of that is out of the way so now I can concentrate on the Rampage. Also, during this time, we have managed to do some traveling so plenty of rest time, YEAH!

I've settled on an engine builder and I hope to get my engine to him in the next couple of weeks. Also, today, I am ordering the Master Coat Primer and getting to work with the wire brushes.

Time is ticking away but it will be ready for Wilmington in April and probably be Plum Crazy.

Gregg
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:54:00 AM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2012, 09:51:40 AM »
Gregg:

Just FYI, that couple of hundred bucks is for my out of pocket cost for color, reducer, and hardener.  I'll have to do all the elbow work myself.  I've had pretty good results with the DuPont Nason line of paints.

Primer and sealer on the shelf, along with a milk crate full of wetordry paper and most of the other goodies required for a basic paint job.  I have done a few paint jobs, and they have turned out fine for "low budget" efforts.  I have access to some pretty nice equipment, and a location suitable for a low-dollar paint job (not at my house).

Some time in the early spring, I hope to be shooting paint.  At that point in time, the cage should be done, the suspension back on the truck, and the roof will be welded back together. 

Steve

See, you're lucky there..... I have never done any painting so I will be having it done. There is not a whole lot of body work needed so I'll try to tackle that myself.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »
Oh ya Gregg, ya gotta do it Plum Crazy man :-D :cheers:

Decisions, decisions!  :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2012, 10:04:08 AM »
Gregg:
    The period correct paint jobs look fantastic, especially the Charger :-o  That Charger will haunt my dreams now.  I'll be picturing myeslf in some kind of Vintage road race category, blowing past Alfas, MG's, and the like.

For my Rampage, I'm going to have to focus on getting this thing done in a quick and cost effective manner.  For a couple hundred bucks, I think I can have a SubLime catalyzed enamel paint job.

I think it would be very cool to see a SubLime Rampage and a Plum Crazy Rampage on the salt at the same time, as well, but don't want to exert any undue influence on your project.  They would look awesome, pitted alongside one another with that white salt background.
I think you just did exert pressure  :-D  and I do agree 1000% that they would look awesome pitted next to each other at Bonneville.

Gregg

Steve.

Well, with the exception of blowing past MG's on a road course, I completely concur with the Rampage brothers.   :wink:

This kind of reminds me of the IMSA "Full Time Racing" Dodge Daytonas that ran in the 1980's.  Two Daytonas on the team, one set up FWD, one set up RWD.

Same vehicles - different approaches, and it would be awesome to see both of your cars parked up side by side.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:07:53 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

gkabbt

« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »
Gregg:
    The period correct paint jobs look fantastic, especially the Charger :-o  That Charger will haunt my dreams now.  I'll be picturing myeslf in some kind of Vintage road race category, blowing past Alfas, MG's, and the like.

For my Rampage, I'm going to have to focus on getting this thing done in a quick and cost effective manner.  For a couple hundred bucks, I think I can have a SubLime catalyzed enamel paint job.

I think it would be very cool to see a SubLime Rampage and a Plum Crazy Rampage on the salt at the same time, as well, but don't want to exert any undue influence on your project.  They would look awesome, pitted alongside one another with that white salt background.
I think you just did exert pressure  :-D  and I do agree 1000% that they would look awesome pitted next to each other at Bonneville.

Gregg

Steve.

Well, with the exception of blowing past MG's on a road course, I completely concur with the Rampage brothers.   :wink:

This kind of reminds me of the IMSA "Full Time Racing" Dodge Daytonas that ran in the 1980's.  Two Daytonas on the team, one set up FWD, one set up RWD.

Same vehicles - different approaches, and it would be awesome to see both of your cars parked up side by side.

Chris, Chris, Chris!.....
They are TRUCKS not CARS  :-)  :-D  :cheers:

Gregg
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:32:32 AM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2012, 10:51:39 AM »
Gregg:
   Any idea who owns the period correct MP Charger shown in your photo?

Steve

gkabbt

« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2012, 11:02:27 AM »
Steve,

No I don't and I don't remember where I got the pic from. I'm searching the net now for it. Pic shows car # 1195 and I think class was I/SA.
I'll let you know if I find anything.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2012, 11:24:12 AM »
Steve,

Google gave me this:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Shelby-Charger-Timeslip-4596.html

This interesting tidbit is from the lower left corner of that article:

Cecil County Dragway/ Rising Sun MD Car has been the NHRA National record holder in FF/SA for 15 years. Also the fastest FF/SA car in the IHRA stock class. One of 3 cars built by Carroll Shelby and raced by Paul Rossi until 1990. This is a non vin # car (body in white) and could possibly be the rarest Shelby on the planet! The car now runs in DF/S and won class at the NHRA SUPERNATIONALS at Raceway Park. The car is sponsered by Remsen Dodge in Hazlet N.J. This very rare Dodge is now owned by Michael Naste (CEO of Mighty Muscle Cars Inc. New Smyrna Beach Florida} Watch for this car at Division 2 NHRA events during the 2007 season.

Gregg

PS
I remembered I got the pic from doing a google search for 1984 Shelby Charger:
http://www.google.com/search?q=1984+shelby+charger+for+sale&hl=en&rlz=1R2AURU_enUS497&prmd=imvnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NPCPUKmYJee20AGVpoFo&sqi=2&ved=0CDwQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=607#hl=en&rlz=1R2AURU_enUS497&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=1984+shelby+charger+&oq=1984+shelby+charger+&gs_l=img.3..0i24.2718.4125.0.5828.8.8.0.0.0.0.188.1374.0j8.8.0...0.0...1c.1.aBt3y0of6ns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=292120f15a09afa9&bpcl=36601534&biw=1280&bih=607

gkabbt

« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2012, 11:30:04 AM »
Also, here is some info on the really nice looking Lebaron:
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_imsa.html
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_imsa_2.html

And a REALLY good video from 1994:
http://zomobo.net/play.php?id=pyRrv96351s

Gregg
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:35:35 AM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2012, 11:59:56 AM »
WOW - that LeBaron is quite impressive.  A de-stroked 2.2L is somewhat thought provoking for a production class vehicle, but may not be competitive with a more modern 4-valve per cylinder design.

The video is way ahead of its time for 1994.  There were no "GoPro HD" cameras available back then.  I wonder what kind of setup they used in '94?  Maybe a compact 8mm VHS type camera mounted to the cage?

There's obviously a lot of Mopar Performance engineering in that little car.  Those guys have deep pockets.  How cool would that be?  Having MP work on your very own vehicle with the goal of a Land Speed Record?

The Charger has a great story in its own right, a body in white car, dominant drag racer, and closing in on 30 years old.

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2012, 12:32:28 PM »
My exact thoughts on both cars.

I thought the camera this was way cool too. Remember that Bell and Howell was a sponsor so that is probably where the camera came from. Good technology for 1994.

Yep, it would be nice to have Ma Mopar pickup the tabs on our Trucks..... :-D

Gregg