Author Topic: 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood AA/BFCC  (Read 111892 times)

Offline Tman

Re: 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood AA/BFCC
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 01:01:37 PM »
Interesting choice for CC. At least you wont have to clutter you build worring about all that aero BS. Big hole going in, huge hole going out. No calculations needed.

Ha! made paperwork today worth while, thanks Dallas!

I like that front plate.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 01:14:53 PM »
Dude, your crazy!

I love it! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline stobl

• Photo album of build
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
Interesting choice for CC. At least you wont have to clutter you build worring about all that aero BS. Big hole going in, huge hole going out. No calculations needed.

The top chop/belly pan/front end mods are later after I get everything else sorted out.  From what I remember the windshield height now is around 16-18".  I think last time we played around with seat positioning, I could chop it down somewhere between 8"-10" and still have a clear view/ room for the helmet and rollcage tubing.  That would put total height from ground to roof somewhere a little more than 2' but less than 3'.  I'd have to remeasure.  Definitely going to the extreme with the chop, though.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:18:34 PM by stobl »
-Blake S

Offline stobl

• Photo album of build
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 01:25:14 PM »
November 2010

Finally got around to finishing the coil brackets.  Each was cut in 2 parts (The guy’s cnc mill was too small. But it was free, so I didn’t complain) so I had to weld them together.

I ordered some press-in nuts from Mcmaster along with some 3/8” spacers to give the coils a little breathing room

And we have spark!

Cut out part of the firewall.  The big bulge that was there (Room for AC) had to go

Built a spacer for the dry sump and ordered some pulleys/belt

Jumped back on the tensioner spacer and completed that (needed to build the base),  I notched the bottom with a hole saw to fit the tube

I also was able to make the spacers for the Alternator.  The great thing I like, is all of these spacers were at pretty big incriments to get it to align correctly. Dry sump was ½”, fuel pump was 1.5”, and I believe the alternator was 1.5 also?

A couple of plates and some spacers from mcmaster and we were good to go

Slowly coming together:

Somewhere in the serpentine system I would need an idler pulley.  This seemed like the best place:

The goods finally arrives.   PT76’s with .96ar

Dog blenders

The waste gates

and BOV’s

Finally patched up the firewall.

Now, one of the ideas I’ve gotten a lot of flack for was something I saw on a few other cars.  This picture highlights the stock AC/fresh air inlet. Its not all that big, but seeing that gave me an idea

Thinking about attempting 200+, I definitely didnt want an air scoop hanging out creating lots of drag.  So the solution is to turn that stock fresh air inlet for the AC into my high-pressure zone air inlet for the turbos.

Like this

And “here-ish” would be the other inlet

As you can tell, I used wiener dogs to measure size.  Everything on this car is big

I cut out the stock fresh air channel and taped out where I wanted the new one to go

I took some sheet and welded it to the firewall.  Start of the air channels.

-Blake S

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »
A definite aside . . . 20 or so years ago a good friend chopped his 71(?) Coupe deVille a mild 12 inches I was told.  It had wild pink and purple scallops over white pearl.  (Those that know me wonder why I didn't buy it on the spot.)  The coils were properly heated and it sat a lot closer to the ground.  The roof was widened to line things up (sorta) and patched to expand it.  It had a lexan windshield and a white vinereal roof to cover the damage.  And no headliner.  I took it to a snooty street rod meeting and parked as close as I could to the most pastel car there.  What a hit (not!).  My only problem driving it was somehow the battery was shorting out across the top of the door frame and shocking you while you bounced down the street catching your hair in the under-the-top welds.  I loved it.

What's this have to do with the build?
It, too, was a Cadillac.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 03:46:08 PM »
I don't know much about such things, but I don't think I have ever seen a Bonneville car with power steering or power brakes. But that isn't a criticism. Just an observation.

Offline sabat

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 05:26:56 PM »
Greatly enjoying your diary, I hope to see this car on the salt someday.  :cheers:

Offline stobl

• Photo album of build
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
I don't know much about such things, but I don't think I have ever seen a Bonneville car with power steering or power brakes. But that isn't a criticism. Just an observation.

Alas, I started before finding out about this forum.  But it would be nothing to disconnect it all.  I have to admit its a work in progress. 
-Blake S

Offline stobl

• Photo album of build
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
December 2010

Finally got around to building the hydroboost support box

Time to make the charge pipe tubing into the cabin. Mark the hole, cut it out with a jigsaw and die grinder

Put a pass through v-band on it

The next big thing.  This front crossmember had to go. 

One of the things I definitely didn’t like was the lower rod/single control arm type suspension on the front.  That needed to go to make way for a lower A arm

Knock everything off and reinforce with some 1/8” plate (frame is already 1/8” thick)

Cut some 2x2x.180 tubing to fit, and we now have a lot more space

Here is the start of the air boxes for the turbo.  Just some 1x1 angle welded up.

A piece of .125 aluminum left over from the ice tank build

Poor man’s bending brake

Then cut out a hole for the air filter tube

Since the air filter plate was done, it was time to mount the turbos

I ended up laying the camera and taking a bunch of placement photos for a few hours

I shaped the 3” collector tube to the turbo flange, then make a mounting “bracket”

It’ll mount to a bracket on the side of the frame

And more high tech mockup-ery

With the placement in a “good enough” position I bent up the first support tube

Then took it off and welded on another

Not too shabby.  Hasn’t fallen off yet.

Clearance with the usual 29” tires which are bigger than what will be used

Next project:  Mount the oil tank.  The space between the frame and bumper looked like a good spot.  And this removable bumper mount looked like a good place to mount the tank

I removed the bumper mounting bracket and welded on some mounting tabs (1” angle)

The top mounting bracked needed a revision, and I ended up building this 3 sided box that works

And all back together

Turns out the headlight buckets stick too far back.  Oh well, who needs headlights anyway

Driver side airbox.  It’s closer in than the passenger due to how the firewall is shaped (it doesn’t extend as far to the side of the car)
Turbos finally mounted!

How I secured the air filter panels.  Just a piece of 1/8” sheet welded to the frame, then a nut tacked to the back of that

Firewall pass through for the charge tubing

Initially the downpipe was just going to dump out the side of the front fenders.  That’s since been scrapped due to what I read here.  It’ll now be routed straight back under the car

Since there was no flat area in the firewall for the driver charge pipe, I had to make my own

-Blake S

Offline Sideshow

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 05:54:23 PM »
Insanely cool 8-) Whoda thunk :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 05:54:33 PM »
Well, if it doesn't pan out for you as a race car, could I borrow it for use as a garage?  :-D

Seriously, welcome to the forum.  The 472 and 500 Caddy engines, I think, have a lot of potential.  I actually came within a whisker of attempting to drop a 472 into a right hand drive postal jeep.  

Keep us posted.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline stobl

• Photo album of build
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 06:01:13 PM »
January 2011

Time to make the intercooler ice tank (more of a chance for me to get better with my tig.  I’m sure I’ll replace it eventually.  Definitely will be replacing the fuel tank)

I needed to build a little sump for the bilge pump

it’s a rule 4000gph pump.  2” outlet

Cut the sides with a jigsaw again, and make some holes for the outlet and return

Make the top with a little water “diffuser” so it doesn’t shoot to the back of the tank where the pump is

And a big boat deck plate to drop lots of ice in

Ordered some upper control arms from UB machine.  They seem kind of…small.. (iirc only 1” tubing.) 

Then I got bored and started working on the headers finally.  2” 308 stainless to a 3” collector

-Blake S

Offline stobl

• Photo album of build
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 06:02:01 PM »
Thanks guys.
-Blake S

Offline stobl

• Photo album of build
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »
FEBRUARY 2011

Key part of the reverse flow system.  Fittings for the heads with restirctors under the –an adaptors

Passenger side header V1.  Definitely didn’t like this

That’s better

With fancy V-band to quick engine removal when needed

Around this time I realized I’d need a full containment seat, so my kirkey would be relegated to "passenger seat" / I needed a break from other stuff.  Might make it an office chair eventually.  I built a mount out of some 2x2 and 2x2 tubing I had left over to mount in the stock seat brackets
-Blake S

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »
  See, those of you who have never done drugs or drank Mad Dog 20/20 probably can't understand the logic of having a cash toilet like this wonderful car, but having run a Early Old's engine for eight years against new Billet Bullet's I want to marry this guy's daughter!
  This is the thread of all threads!
  We have met the enemy, and he is us (Walt Kelly's Pogo I think).       Bob :cheers: :cheers:
Bob Drury